Future Relocation Possibilities

Valhuen

Secretary of Defense
Apr 10, 2011
Tucson via Spokane
With the PHX/WPG move looking more and more likely, over the next few years what other relocations do you see as being likely? While I believe the health of the NHL at large is very good, there are still problem spots that need to be addressed in the short-term.

So, what teams do you see moving, and where to?

Atlanta and Florida are probably the two most glaring, with the Islanders still facing a lot of uncertainty. Possible locations where teams may land? People mention Vegas frequently, and though that would be Bettman's wet-dream, Vegas is worse off than Phoenix the last few years, in addition it is a major transient city, so I don't see how viable season ticket sales would be. Quebec City and Kansas City seem like possible, healthy, options. Southern Ontario as well. Could Portland support a team (though the Winterhawks do well, can't really see that as a benchmark), or Seattle if a building was in place?

Speculative I know, but just curious what others think.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
The Islanders I really cannot see moving. Too much history, and I believe they sold out every game down the stretch. Florida can draw the crowds, as they proved a few years back...I'd give them until they start winning, and if the attendance doesn't improve then move them. The only team right now that I'd agree with moving is Atlanta. I'd love to see Quebec get their team back.

Valhuen

Secretary of Defense
Apr 10, 2011
Tucson via Spokane
The Islanders I really cannot see moving. Too much history, and I believe they sold out every game down the stretch. Florida can draw the crowds, as they proved a few years back...I'd give them until they start winning, and if the attendance doesn't improve then move them. The only team right now that I'd agree with moving is Atlanta. I'd love to see Quebec get their team back.

I agree regarding the Isles history, but sans the Lighthouse project and Wang's mismanagement? I really think they face an uphill climb, but I certainly want to see them stay. Agree on Quebec, the Nords should be back long before any other location is considered.

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007
So you'd keep a team in place based on the fact that crowds used to come when they were winning, but you'd move a team thats never had the chance to win?

So....what happens when 40 years from now they still haven't done any substantial winning?

Valhuen

Secretary of Defense
Apr 10, 2011
Tucson via Spokane
Is not Atlanta the next issue on the NHL's agenda that "needs to be addressed"? I'm not conveying an opinion one way or the other here, just appears from the outside looking in that the Thrashers are facing difficulties ahead.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Is not Atlanta the next issue on the NHL's agenda that "needs to be addressed"? I'm not conveying an opinion one way or the other here, just appears from the outside looking in that the Thrashers are facing difficulties ahead.

Yes, and there's an entire thread (we're on part 3 now) discussing this. All this does is create ANOTHER Atlanta hockey market debate. This has been discussed plenty.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Yup...and if you start talking about relocation in it...people get angry.

People debate. Like you and I have for about a year now.

Side note: I saw you and Ghost debating on Winnipeg a day or two ago. My first thought: Super powers collide!! It's like Lex Luthor Vs. The Joker!! :)

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007
People debate. Like you and I have for about a year now.

Side note: I saw you and Ghost debating on Winnipeg a day or two ago. My first thought: Super powers collide!! It's like Lex Luthor Vs. The Joker!! :)

Can I be the Joker? Or is that implied?

HabsByTheBay

Dec 3, 2010
London
I agree regarding the Isles history, but sans the Lighthouse project and Wang's mismanagement? I really think they face an uphill climb, but I certainly want to see them stay. Agree on Quebec, the Nords should be back long before any other location is considered.
Isles = Hawks under Dollar Bill.

Valhuen

Secretary of Defense
Apr 10, 2011
Tucson via Spokane
Yes, and there's an entire thread (we're on part 3 now) discussing this. All this does is create ANOTHER Atlanta hockey market debate. This has been discussed plenty.

By no means did I create this thread to put a laser beam exclusively on the Thrashers, I am mainly looking for opinions on future possibilities and viable market alternatives down the road for any teams that may find relocation a reality.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
By no means did I create this thread to put a laser beam exclusively on the Thrashers, I am mainly looking for opinions on future possibilities and viable market alternatives down the road for any teams that may find relocation a reality.

I understand, but there will be countless posts about moving them and it always breaks into the same old debate.

Grudy0

Mar 16, 2011
Maryland
Sure, but assuming it is all but a done deal for the Coyotes to head back home, the only difference between a month ago and a month from now is that the Thrashers cannot be moved to Winnipeg. Otherwise, it is the same old Thrashers, and the first order of business is to fix the ownership group.

The only other team in the west I see possibly moving is the Columbus Blue Jackets.

The teams in the east besides the Thrashers are the Panthers and Islanders, although the Isles have one of the largest local TV contracts so moving out of the area may not be an option.

Destinations can include any of:

Site-Ready:
Kansas City (brand-spanking-new arena only needs ownership group)
Portland (especially if Paul Allen involved)
Houston (if the owner of the NBA's Rockets are involved)

Site needed:
Quebec (new arena being built and ownership group appears to be setup)

Wild-Cards:
Hamilton (wondering if Balsillie can be reformed)
Seattle (NBA must go back once new building is ready, why not NHL?)
Phoenix (deep-pocketed owner ready for round 2?)

Fidel Astro

Aug 26, 2010
Winnipeg, MB
www.witchpolice.com
Assuming the Coyotes go to Winnipeg and the Thrashers go to Quebec (don't freak out, Thrashers fans, this is just a hypothetical situation), is there really anyone left who is in that dire need to be relocated?

I mean, I know a lot of people like to bring up the Panthers, and while I would be happy to see them relocate to a more northern city, is there any evidence that something like that is in danger of happening?

I'm just asking because I remember seeing Florida threads in the past that mainly focused on the ridiculousness of their ticket prices/failed attempts at getting butts in the seats, but not a lot of actual information like "(name of owner) is considering selling in 201_, or "arena lease coming up soon" or anything that could hint at the potential for a move.

As for the Islanders, I can't see them moving. I really can't. They're going through a pretty severe rough patch, but they obviously have historical precedent showing that they can, indeed, be successful on and off-ice. A dry spell, no matter how long it lasts, is quite different from a team that has been a perennial turd.

Valhuen

Secretary of Defense
Apr 10, 2011
Tucson via Spokane
Good points, much of this depends on where the economy goes from here, and changing demographics also play a major concern few openly discuss (one of the issues facing ATL for example). In the southern markets these are issues to be sure, what would happen in places like NSH or TB if those teams went through long losing droughts? Right now support is looking up in some areas, while question marks remain in others (such as ATL and long-term for FLA).

If we ever enter a "post-Bettman" age of more traditional ownership in true hockey markets it would be interesting to see. If we do get to that point I would even support contraction to 28 teams and go back to four divisions (of 7 teams each). The only thing that does bother me is this incessant drive into non-traditional markets that Bettman has been forcing (mainly due to attracting that lucrative TV deal that has never materialized). If and when PHX heads back north, I think this may (hopefully) signal a significant strategic shift for the NHL.

Besides, there are still a few locations left in the US up north with a firm hockey tradition far more viable than plowing into other potential disastrous markets such as Vegas. Would love to see a team back home in the PNW for example (either Portland or Seattle). For Canada, obviously Quebec and possibly Hamilton/London/Kitchener/etc. Outside of there, and the talk of a second team in the GTA, where else could a team in Canada go? Saskatoon is not large enough IMHO.

Valhuen

Secretary of Defense
Apr 10, 2011
Tucson via Spokane
Phoenix (deep-pocketed owner ready for round 2?)

I can tell you that honestly I don't see that happening. If the Yotes move, well there would have to be a significant chain of events to occur before the NHL could ever be viable here again in AZ. This is just not a hockey state (unfortunately), there is little tradition. Even at the collegiate level all we have are shoddy club teams not even officially sanctioned at the NCAA level. I really need to get out of here........:help:

Pitlick*

If the Islanders move I think it will just be down the street to somewhere else on the Island like Queens or Brooklyn.

Quebec City is next for sure. Rich owners, solid arena plan, serviceable temporary arena.

If Southern Ontario ever gets another team, it will be expansion, so the NHL / Leafs / Sabres can squeeze maximum $$$ from the new owner.

Shawa666

May 25, 2010
Québec, Qc, Ca
Possible right now

Winnipeg is the best bet for now, They have fan interest, a NHL ready arena, and a NHL approved owner waiting for green light

Quebec has fan interest, an owner solid enough to get NHL approval. The NHL has stated that the Colisée can do the job until the new Arena is built.

Might work, not right now

Kansas City: Sprint Center is NHL ready. Now ownership group has manifested itself publicly so far, AFAIK. Local interest has not been demonstrated, Market for sports might be saturated, for a city of this size.

Portland: Rose garden might work, I'm not sure. There is interest in the game, demonstrated by high WHL attendence. Ownership is the question here.

Houston: The Oilers almost moved here. Owner of the Rockets and Toyota Center possibly still interested. Aeros' attendence aren't that bad.

Valhuen

Secretary of Defense
Apr 10, 2011
Tucson via Spokane
Possible right now

Winnipeg is the best bet for now, They have fan interest, a NHL ready arena, and a NHL approved owner waiting for green light

Quebec has fan interest, an owner solid enough to get NHL approval. The NHL has stated that the Colisée can do the job until the new Arena is built.

Might work, not right now

Kansas City: Sprint Center is NHL ready. Now ownership group has manifested itself publicly so far, AFAIK. Local interest has not been demonstrated, Market for sports might be saturated, for a city of this size.

Portland: Rose garden might work, I'm not sure. There is interest in the game, demonstrated by high WHL attendence. Ownership is the question here.

Houston: The Oilers almost moved here. Owner of the Rockets and Toyota Center possibly still interested. Aeros' attendence aren't that bad.

Truly pulling for a return of the Nords and the old Adams division. Thinking on that, if this did come to pass, what would the Northeast look like? Someone would need to get moved elsewhere which would truly hurt many deep rivalries.

Portland is also viable if Paul Allen is involved (as Grudy mentioned above), he certainly has the money and influence to pull it off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad