Future Prediction - Better career playoff performer: McDavid vs Draisaitl vs MacKinnon vs Kucherov

Among those 4 players - who ends up with the best Playoff career by the time they retire? RANK them

• Total voters

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
10G 18P in 17GP on a crapass Oilers team. Pretty sure hes fine.

You dont win playoff games on your own.

I wouldn't really count play-ins as playoffs. How often are you gonna get a 24th ranked putrid defensive team like the BlackHawks? McDavid still has to prove it in the playoffs IMO. His first run was underwhelming.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
I wouldn't really count play-ins as playoffs. How often are you gonna get a 24th ranked putrid defensive team like the BlackHawks? McDavid still has to prove it in the playoffs IMO. His first run was underwhelming.
his first run he was 20 years old, come on.

You seriously think he wouldnt dominate if he were on a better team like TB or COL?

Nathaniel

Oct 18, 2013
his first run he was 20 years old, come on.

You seriously think he wouldnt dominate if he were on a better team like TB or COL?
Crosby at 20 was the playoffs leading scorer with 27 in 20 going to game 6 of the finals.... No excuses

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
I gotta lean MacK. He's an absolute beast in the Playoffs and the Avs are on an upwards trajectory for what seems like will last a long while.

McDavid and Draisaitl's impacts on defense are just waaaaaay too bad to overcome and they have yet to reach the offensive levels of Kuch and MacK in the Playoffs.

I understand they're basically the Oilers only offense but they literally had by far the worst defensive impacts on the team this season and couldn't even get past the dreadful Blackhawks to make the actual Playoffs.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Chicago isn't exactly a good team anymore lol
9P in 4GP no matter what team you play against is top notch

Look the guy has 17 career playoff games (13 when he was 20 years old).... its ridculous to say he doesnt bring it int he playoffs at this stage of his career. Gimme a break.

He wasnt blessed to be drafted by a team surrounded with talent other than Draisaitl now. In 09, Crosby had the luxury of playing with: Malkin, Letang, Fleury, Staal, Gonchar... Replace Sid with McDavid, I guarantee you he wins the Cup on that roster.

This is going to be the same story as Ovi... Everyone will criticize him until he wins. Ill say it again, you dont win the Cup on your own. It takes a team.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
9P in 4GP no matter what team you play against is top notch

Look the guy has 17 career playoff games (13 when he was 20 years old).... its ridculous to say he doesnt bring it int he playoffs at this stage of his career. Gimme a break.

He wasnt blessed to be drafted by a team surrounded with talent other than Draisaitl now. In 09, Crosby had the luxury of playing with: Malkin, Letang, Fleury, Staal, Gonchar... Replace Sid with McDavid, I guarantee you he wins the Cup on that roster.

This is going to be the same story as Ovi... Everyone will criticize him until he wins. Ill say it again, you dont win the Cup on your own. It takes a team.

McDavid has made the real Playoffs once, in which he had 9 points in 13 games (only 2 5v5 points) and got absolutely hammered 5v5.

9 points in 4 games against a 12th seed that he lost to in a Play-In series isn't something to really base his Playoff performance on.

McDavid will likely dominate the Playoffs for the majority of his career (on the random years he makes it), but he hasn't done near enough to put himself in the same category as Kucherov or MacKinnon as playoff performers.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
McDavid has made the real Playoffs once, in which he had 9 points in 13 games (only 2 5v5 points) and got absolutely hammered 5v5.

9 points in 4 games against a 12th seed that he lost to in a Play-In series isn't something to really base his Playoff performance on.

McDavid will likely dominate the Playoffs for the majority of his career (on the random years he makes it), but he hasn't done near enough to put himself in the same category as Kucherov or MacKinnon as playoff performers.
didnt say he was, and of course he isnt, and may never be as good as both... I was just defending that someone labeled him as somewhat of a playoff choker.

You cant blame the guy for being on a team that doesnt make the playoffs. Hell, MacK didnt make the playoffs for 3 of his first 4 seasons with COL. He didnt fair any better. Time will tell if EDM can turn it around, or maybe he'll do the unthinkable and leave.... Oh, that would be a fun July 1st!

Last edited:

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
didnt say he was... I was defending that someone labeled him as somewhat of a playoff choker.

You cant blame the guy for being on a team that doesnt make the playoffs. Hell, MacK didnt make the playoffs for 3 of his first 4 seasons with COL. He didnt fair any better.

Fair enough. My bad for not doing the context research.

No you can't, but to be fair to MacKinnon, he's been dominant in every year he's made the Playoffs.

He's always been point-per-game in the Playoffs and has always been dominant possession wise relative to his team, which is something McDavid can't say.

MacKinnon had 10 points in 7 games as a rookie in his 18-year old season, including 5 5v5 points and dominant possession numbers where he had amazing impacts both on offense and defense, whereas McDavid only had 9 points in 13 games in his 20-year old season, including only 2 5v5 points (which ranked him 14th on the Oilers) and very poor possession numbers where he had great impacts on offense but had the worst defensive impacts on the Oilers.

MacKinnon faired much better individually as an 18-year old than McDavid did as a 20-year old.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Fair enough. My bad for not doing the context research.

No you can't, but to be fair to MacKinnon, he's been dominant in every year he's made the Playoffs.

He's always been point-per-game in the Playoffs and has always been dominant possession wise relative to his team, which is something McDavid can't say.

MacKinnon had 10 points in 7 games as a rookie in his 18-year old season, including 5 5v5 points and dominant possession numbers where he had amazing impacts both on offense and defense, whereas McDavid only had 9 points in 13 games in his 20-year old season, including only 2 5v5 points (which ranked him 14th on the Oilers) and very poor possession numbers where he had great impacts on offense but had the worst defensive impacts on the Oilers.

MacKinnon faired much better individually as an 18-year old than McDavid did as a 20-year old.
fine, but thats a very small sample size. McDavid just hasnt played enough playoff games to be compared, period.

I mean, Ill still take McDavid on my team today over anyone int he league. People can argue MacKinnon is better, thats fine, but I dont agree. As you said, he will dominate in the playoffs when he gets there regularly. No reason to think otherwise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->