Future Prediction - Better career playoff performer: McDavid vs Draisaitl vs MacKinnon vs Kucherov

Among those 4 players - who ends up with the best Playoff career by the time they retire? RANK them

• Total voters

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
These are arguably the 4 best players in the league today, certainly from the younger generation after the Crosby/Ovi/Malkin era.

Who do you predict ends up with the best playoff record? Who 20 years from now will be ranked highest in an "all time top playoff performers" list? Each have their pro's and cons:

McDavid: Simply put - the best player. He's 'generational' - and if doesn't end up having the best career from the group ( and probably by a lot) it'll be a disappointment. But not all opportunities are created equal come playoffs. He's already a bit behind the 8 ball too. He was rather disappointing in his sophomore year in the playoffs in the 2018, outshined by his teammate Drai. This year he was on fire in the play-ins, but his team didn't even make the official "playoffs". We all know Oilers have struggled recently. To aspire to an all-time playoff record you have to have a decent enough team to give you the chances to go far. Does McDavid ever end up with a playoff record worthy of his talent?

Draisaitl: He suffers from the same "team fate" as McDavid, with Oilers struggling. He's slightly older too - but he actually had the better playoff performance in 2017. He also did very good in play-ins this year. Could this be a Malkin/Crosby situation, where Malkin outshone Crosby in 2009 - does Drai have more runs in him where he outshines McDavid? And can he especially translate it into a better career playoff record over the long run? With Crosby/Malkin - Crosby overtook Malkin in the long run for playoffs, even though Malkin looked better early on in 2009. How does Drai vs McDavid land for playoffs?

MacKinnon: MacKinnon has done great so far in playoffs, and he even did great back in juniors. 54 points in 40 games is pretty insane. But - he's already 25, and technically still hasn't ever gotten past round 2. He seems to have the right team to go far - but not too long ago Ovechkin was in the same predicament, often great looking teams and great individual performances but never past round 2. As good as he's been on a per game basis, it's really in rounds 3 and especially 4 that you forge your playoff legacy. Does he make it there, and does he continue to perform as well as he has? And can he top the Oilers duo in the long run - who offensively might both be better than him and both are still younger too.

Kucherov: At the present, he has the best record easily and also is on the best team/best possibility to add in future. He already has 95 playoff points and 90 games played - and 4 3+ round runs. Simply put he's been excellent. He didn't win the smythe in 2020 - but probably could have with his performance in other years. He's the oldest, but certainly young enough to have a ton of years left ahead. And Tampa is favorite for the cup again next year - and honestly I wouldn't be shocked to see them among a top 5 contender for the next 5 years, being so deep and young with their core. So possibly a lot more playoff success to come in near future. Is it enough to forge a better playoff career than the above 3 players?

Vote for the player you predict ends up with the best career playoff record.

Also - Rank Them. Predict the ranking of Greatest playoff performer to least great by the time they all retire.

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
MacK > Kuch > McDavid > Drai

Kuch is by far the most proven, and is at least okay in his own zone. MacK is meh defensively BUT his physicality makes up for it in the playoffs. Oilers players are too offense focused at the moment

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Here's my prediction: Their playoff performances are on the same tier as their regular season performances.

I base this on a gargantuan mountain of data that suggests this is true for an extremely high percentage of players.

Reactions: dmoney16

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Mackinnon and Kucherov 1 and 2 respectively. Could rank Drai and McDavid 3rd or 4th interchangeably but they're both just complete garbage in the postseason and likely won't take the Oilers anywhere.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I think Draisaitl will be sitting out front when it’s all said and done. He is built for the playoffs and if the Oilers ever win the cup he’s my pick for the smythe

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I’ll vote Kuch based on the fact he’s already won a cup. But this could change in a multitude of ways.

Mack has proven he’s arguably the best playoff performer in the league and now that he has an actual contender to play on he has a chance to do some big things in the playoffs.

McDavid is the best player in the league and dominated the play in but was clearly held back by his team. With a more solid team he could be a dominant playoff performer.

Drai has dominated both playoffs he’s been in and looks like he’s built for playoff hockey.

I’ll vote Kuch for now but wouldn’t surprised if any of these 4 become the most successful.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
I fully expect McDavid and Drai to have great playoff careers when it's all said and done.

That being said, Kucherov has a huge leg up already and plays on a team that, in theory, should go deep for at least 5 more seasons. He already has the Cup, led the playoffs in points, could hit 100 career playoff points as early as the first round next postseason, and his last run saw him dish out the most assists in a postseason by a player not named Gretzky and Lemieux.

Even if the Lightning only got to the Cup once in the next 5 years, along with perhaps 2 Eastern Conference Finals, a second round exit, and a first round exit, we're looking at a baseline of 75 games and 75 points.

I think that's a very conservative take for a player and team so talented and he could still be 20th all time in playoff points in this scenario. If he does that, adds another Cup, and even a Conn Smythe, that's a hard resume to overtake.

McDavid and Drai need to go ballistic while dragging an average or bad Oilers to a Cup or two to even out the advantage Kucherov has from performing great during multiple lengthy runs already and the strength of his team. All time talents like McDavid win, it's that simple. I'm not worried until we hit year 10 and there's been little progress made.

Let's not forget that Mario missed the playoffs 5 times during his first 6 seasons. in a league where only 5 teams didn't make it, and didn't make it past the second round until his seventh season in the league (the Cup run). It shouldn't have been a knock against him then nor should it be for players who are on miserable and/or badly mismanaged teams.

MacKinnon has been great and just had a huge run himself. He has a deep team around him as well and again in theory, should be able to pad his resume in the coming future. In the case of the Avs, until they get their goaltending sorted out, it's s toss up between potential deep runs and early exits that cloud my prediction for him.

1. Kucherov
2. McDavid
3. Drai
4. MacKinnon

Last edited:

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Mackinnon and Kucherov 1 and 2 respectively. Could rank Drai and McDavid 3rd or 4th interchangeably but they're both just complete garbage in the postseason and likely won't take the Oilers anywhere.

Just for fun you should try posting something that is true, and correct. You never know you might like it and try it a 2nd time.

Reactions: TheNeutralPresident

TheNeutralPresident

Feb 29, 2020
The Neutral Planet
Kuch has 95 in 90 - that's unreal

Mack has 54 in 40 - my goodness

Drai has 22 in 17 - not bad at all

McD has 18 in 17 - surprisingly meh

It's a tough question, but watching McDavid's drive to win while being the youngest of the 4 just makes me lean towards him. Any order of the 4 could end up correct.

OT: why do people think gas lighting makes them seem any smarter or make others want to take them seriously?

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Mack is insane in the playoffs, but only has played on a cup caliber team once in his career. Expecting him to post the best playoff stats out of these 4 this decade.

Reactions: Garthinater

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
McDavid
MacKinnon
Draisaitl
Kucherov

No reason to rank them any other way than how they rank in the league as hockey players.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
McDavid/LD have made the playoffs once in 5 years, so not off to a great start.

MackInnon + Kuch both had great playoff runs this year which helps.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
McDavid/LD have made the playoffs once in 5 years, so not off to a great start.

MackInnon + Kuch both had great playoff runs this year which helps.

They were 2nd in the Pacific at the time of stoppage. A handful of games after a 4 month stoppage doesn’t change that.

Blaming those two rather than the shitty goaltending, poor D play, and lack of depth scoring seems disengenous. I mean, they put 15 points in 4 games.

Dallas was awful in the “exhibition” rounds and went on to the SCF.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Between McDavid and MacKinnon for me. However, Avs will be a contender for the next decade and I highly doubt Oilers will be there with them, so MacKinnon it is

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Always go with the proven and Kucherov is not only great, but his team is OP. So he most likely will get the most chances to go on deep runs and put up insane totals.

Kucherov > MacK > Dra/McD so far

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad