Future of OHL

Does the OHL Expansion Look to be In the near future?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario

Now yes I am aware of how every fan in Hamilton would be devastated to see the Bulldogs to leave the OHL.

This dosen't mean that teams are moving just that Cornwall could be in the OHL's plans for the future as the uncertainties of how the OHL will move forward in the coming seasons. Have heard different rumors flying around for the past few seasons that the OHL could be interested in expanding Cornwall was one of a few places I've heard that would be intrested in the OHL others that follow along is Chatham being thrown around the past number of years. I also remember reading a article a year ago that stated the city of Cornwall were making plans that if the OHL were planning for there next chance to rejoin the OHL.

What do others posters think what will happen to the OHL in the future??

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I think post-pandemic that we might see this. Whether it be relocation or expansion. There have been rumblings forever and ever about Cornwall getting a team.

On the other hand, it could also be an expansion/relocation in the CCHL. They just had a team relocate this season (Kanata) and it could possibly be in the works for other teams. From what I understand, the league isn’t exactly a money maker in terms of putting people in seats, etc.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018

Now yes I am aware of how every fan in Hamilton would be devastated to see the Bulldogs to leave the OHL.

This dosen't mean that teams are moving just that Cornwall could be in the OHL's plans for the future as the uncertainties of how the OHL will move forward in the coming seasons. Have heard different rumors flying around for the past few seasons that the OHL could be interested in expanding Cornwall was one of a few places I've heard that would be intrested in the OHL others that follow along is Chatham being thrown around the past number of years. I also remember reading a article a year ago that stated the city of Cornwall were making plans that if the OHL were planning for there next chance to rejoin the OHL.

What do others posters think what will happen to the OHL in the future??

Them trademarking their logo/name doesn't necessarily mean a move is imminent. Just means they're keeping the rights to that name for the future

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Hasn't this been talked about for the last 5 to 10 years n nothing.
Nothing looks to be happening in the future.
Looks like a dead issue.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Cornwall could host a US based team this season but without a viable OHL rink, it isn’t financially viable. They could play out of their current rink temporarily but I am not sure Cornwall is quite strong enough to build a new rink.

I’d love to see a team in Cornwall. It would solve a lot of problems in the East Division since Belleville relocated to Hamilton. Ottawa vs Cornwall games are fun. I think it would be helpful for the league should Cornwall be able to find a way to do it right.

KnightsFan110

Apr 23, 2013
As much as I hate to say it , I see Mississauga on the chopping block for relocation. Very nice arena but their drawback is they only get 8 fans a game except for school day and long weekend games (ie family day). Cornwall easily could sell most games out.

If the rink was located closer to Square One , they could EASILY fill at least half of the arena

It's a shame because I love making the trip from London to Mississauga to see games

Last edited:

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Cornwall could host a US based team this season but without a viable OHL rink, it isn’t financially viable. They could play out of their current rink temporarily but I am not sure Cornwall is quite strong enough to build a new rink.

I’d love to see a team in Cornwall. It would solve a lot of problems in the East Division since Belleville relocated to Hamilton. Ottawa vs Cornwall games are fun. I think it would be helpful for the league should Cornwall be able to find a way to do it right.
Didn't Cornwall recently upgrade Ed Lumley Arena and it now has 5000 capacity?

Reactions: three dog night

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
As much as I hate to say it , I see Mississauga on the chopping block for relocation. Very nice arena but their drawback is they only get 8 fans a game except for school day and long weekend games (ie family day). Cornwall easily could sell most games out.

If the rink was located closer to Square One, they could EASILY fill at least half of the arena

It's a shame because I love making the trip from London to Mississauga to see games
The inner-region of the GTA really doesn't support minor league sports, which even extends to the CFL. I would love to see an OHL team somewhere that was easily accessible by Toronto Public transit, even up in Vaughn near a highway-7. But, given the cost of land in this region right now, I see no interest in the amount of land it would take to get a somewhat suitable arena.

I live in mid-town Toronto, don't own a car, and really enjoy the CHL. But, the time commitment to get out to Mississauga for a game is a nightmare, even if I had a car dealing with traffic for a Thursday or Friday night you would have to pay me to go. I loved going to the JLC when I was at UWO, and the community around the Knights. But, that just isn't going to happen here. I'm not sure the demographics of Sauga or Brampton were really favorable to CHL hockey. The suburbs that were hockey seems quite prominent in my experience are Woodbridge, Maple, Unionville, Aurora, and Oakville. With Oakville really being in location where Sauga could easily draw from. Granted, the Majors were a disaster too (which I could walk to growing up, and skated at a bunch), but that rink shouldn't even have been used for OHL as it was too small ice-surfice wise and wasn't built to attract people, its amenities were comparable to average rinks which host house-league.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
The inner-region of the GTA really doesn't support minor league sports, which even extends to the CFL. I would love to see an OHL team somewhere that was easily accessible by Toronto Public transit, even up in Vaughn near a highway-7. But, given the cost of land in this region right now, I see no interest in the amount of land it would take to get a somewhat suitable arena.

I live in mid-town Toronto, don't own a car, and really enjoy the CHL. But, the time commitment to get out to Mississauga for a game is a nightmare, even if I had a car dealing with traffic for a Thursday or Friday night you would have to pay me to go. I loved going to the JLC when I was at UWO, and the community around the Knights. But, that just isn't going to happen here. I'm not sure the demographics of Sauga or Brampton were really favorable to CHL hockey. The suburbs that were hockey seems quite prominent in my experience are Woodbridge, Maple, Unionville, Aurora, and Oakville. With Oakville really being in location where Sauga could easily draw from. Granted, the Majors were a disaster too (which I could walk to growing up, and skated at a bunch), but that rink shouldn't even have been used for OHL as it was too small ice-surfice wise and wasn't built to attract people, its amenities were comparable to average rinks which host house-league.

Very good synopsis, especially the traffic and driving situations in the GTA. I just happen to be close enough home wise to work and then the Arena to drive on a Friday night with a hasty sandwich hardly something a family would do.

Arena location was poorly done, twenty years after and no development there at all, no transit...

Relocation is a reality in the O, at some point it will happen again. Expansion was not going to happen even before the current conditions, the market is pretty dried up as there is not a city or market that has a suitable arena right now. It may be a different matter later on, and likely will be. Always a matter of when and who

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Does Cornwall have a history of huge crowds to sellout every game as someone has suggested.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Does Cornwall have a history of huge crowds to sellout every game as someone has suggested.

In their current facility, yes. Unfortunately, their current facility would have to be considered temporary. They’d need a new facility if they wanted to be a viable franchise long term.

I am not sure whether it is possible to expand or renovate that facility though. I know teams like OWen Sound and North Bay managed to repurpose their existing facility and make it work.

Could their facility house one of the US based teams this year? I think so.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Very good synopsis, especially the traffic and driving situations in the GTA. I just happen to be close enough home wise to work and then the Arena to drive on a Friday night with a hasty sandwich hardly something a family would do.

Arena location was poorly done, twenty years after and no development there at all, no transit...

Relocation is a reality in the O, at some point it will happen again. Expansion was not going to happen even before the current conditions, the market is pretty dried up as there is not a city or market that has a suitable arena right now. It may be a different matter later on, and likely will be. Always a matter of when and who

There are viable markets for sure. No one is going to build a rink until they get a team (assuming they have the resources).

I can see a team temporarily play out of a more traditional community rink for a season or two if necessary while waiting for their facility to be funded and built. But, at this point, it would need to be a sure thing. It couldn't be something like Hamilton where you “think” they’d be able to get something done.

That said, if a team was in financial need to the point of bankruptcy, I guess any person willing to purchase and move a club would be given more latitude.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad