Latvia: Future of national team

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
So it seems both KHL and Latvian player development clearly goes towards are more physical side.
Probably good overall for Latvia in international hockey and for getting NHL players if you look at it neutrally.

Well the junior system needs to adapt to what players needs are.
NHL = big,strong skilled players. And if the NHL is the only goal then you can start to understand why its like that and not differently.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
The Latvian performance could be based on nervousness.
The pressure to stay up year after year can overwhelm a team, when they suddenly have a weak roster caused by injuries. [compared to last year it just shows how important Mikelis Redlihs is - I miss seeing him this WC]
Win over Slovakia (not expected) but losing to countries you normally win over.
Maybe if the press have totally given up, the team can save the day against France......
But it does look promising for the future with the new players coming

They did save the day...:handclap::yo: and likely the entire year until next WC.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
well if Austria beats Russia then Slovenia beats Canada and we both go down.
Amazing that we are in trouble against Belarus (now 3-2) after outshooting them 13-1 in first period.

After that flop against France and loss to Finland,its very unlikely,they will just come out like an angry beast against Austria.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Denmark saved with 3-2 win over Belarus. We will get 11-12'th place.
So what just need you guys saved officially as well.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
What are the odds of Pens prospect Teddy Blueger making the 2014 Olympic team? I dont know much about Latvian hockey, but I see that he was not on this year's WC roster, so I assume he does not have much of a chance. Thanks!

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
What are the odds of Pens prospect Teddy Blueger making the 2014 Olympic team? I dont know much about Latvian hockey, but I see that he was not on this year's WC roster, so I assume he does not have much of a chance. Thanks!

He`s probably too young so no, unless he gains some superpower and is in the NHL by the time olympics are around :laugh:

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca
is Nolan leaving team Latvia to become interim coach for Buffalo or he is to come back for Olympics?

He's going to be with them at the Olympics (Buffalo may even release him a few days early so he can be there for at least one exhibition game). Since their head office knows they'll likely not make the playoffs, they also already have an understanding about him joining them for the Words, although I can see him parting ways after the Olympics depending on how Latvia does, and how Buffalo is progressing at that point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad