Future of Michael Bunting

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
These lists don't mean anything.
Why do you say that?

I think it is an interesting projection...they always show a previous list (10 years earlier) and it is pretty good. Of course there are busts in the list and lower ranked players that end up being better than most but it is still a good indicator of where prospects are.

Reactions: MIG

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
If you draft trash you are already behind the eight ball. Chayka revamped the scouting department for the better I think. We might have a few gems in the pipeline right now in the names of Soderstrom, Jenik and Maccelli to name a few. I would hope these three will be with the Yotes in two years. Remember, no one thought, or gave it much thought that Garland would ever play in the NHL. Most on this board probably would have traded him two years ago.

I don't believe Bunting was a Chayka pick. I thought he was the last remaining of AHL players drafted in the Maloney era (I might be missing one). So, I think a little bit of it has been the numbers and turning around the AHL roster, in general. When has our AHL team ever had a season like the last one?

The difficult thing is that we still have a few players in the way at LW. I think he may get a chance next year to be the 13th F

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
So many of the players on our roster showed poor levels of effort. Bunting should have been given a chance to play. Then we would have some idea of what his NHL future was, and could make roster decisions according. As it stands, he’s too much of an unknown to pencil him in. So he doesn’t help us look for cap solutions in the way he might have. The Coyotes are really bad at integrating younger players without being absolutely forced into by injuries. Garland might still be in the AHL otherwise.

It’s just so obvious they need new coaches.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
So many of the players on our roster showed poor levels of effort. Bunting should have been given a chance to play. Then we would have some idea of what his NHL future was, and could make roster decisions according. As it stands, he’s too much of an unknown to pencil him in. So he doesn’t help us look for cap solutions in the way he might have. The Coyotes are really bad at integrating younger players without being absolutely forced into by injuries. Garland might still be in the AHL otherwise.

It’s just so obvious they need new coaches.

I have a weird feeling that if we need to consummate a trade with another team, Bunting may be one of those players whom we ship off with an over-priced veteran, even though I do not think that is the proper thing to do.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Bunting is doing what more of the team should be doing. If he's in the offensive zone he's at the net. He's not an idiot, he knows that the only way for him to stick is for him to get dirty and be around the net. If any of our other forwards would spend 1/2 their time near the net, we wouldn't be one of the lowest scoring teams.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
He'll be 25 by the time next season starts. He needs to win a job in camp like a number of Tucson guys.

Unless something drastically changes, hard to imagine he's not already penciled in...as in it's his job to lose.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Unless something drastically changes, hard to imagine he's not already penciled in...as in it's his job to lose.

:nod:

That should have been the case for several camps but something is amiss when it comes to Tucson talent evaluation.

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
Watching him these last few games, it feels like a crime that Caggiula, Chaput, and Fasching all got looks first.

He could fizzle out after a fast start of course but right now I couldn’t be happier with him.

Reactions: 0point1 and Jakey53

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Reminds me of Kadri in size, pest factor and effectiveness. Not as skilled obviously but seems to be developing in a Pitlick/Kadri hybrid. Let's see if he can keep this up for the next 15 games. Still great to have developed a 3rd/2nd line tweener.

Reactions: MIGs Dog

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Is what we've seen with Garland and Bunting just late bloomers, or does it mean we should leave our young players in Tucson so the NHL coaches don't f*** them up?

I don't believe either of these players had an AHL season where they missed the playoffs. They want to win. But yeah, whatever MVR and Varady had going on in Tucson did not seem to mirror what RT was doing up here.

Reactions: MIGs Dog and RemoAZ

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
It's unlikely Bunting would keep up this pace over a full season, but not unreasonable to assume he would be at or near the top of the rookie scoring list had we brought him up earlier...oh well. Still excited about his future.

upload_2021-4-16_8-21-43.png

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
I love the fact that he’s not afraid of anyone or any position on the ice. Chirping Reaves one minute, standing right in front of the goalies eyes the next. He is a Tom Wilson type without the extra bite, in my opinion. A guy you need for tight regular season games, and one you definitely need for playoff hockey.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
It's unlikely Bunting would keep up this pace over a full season, but not unreasonable to assume he would be at or near the top of the rookie scoring list had we brought him up earlier...oh well. Still excited about his future.

View attachment 423051
Unless the source I was reading is incorrect, Bunting should still be considered a rookie next season. He will be under the age cutoff, will have played fewer than 25 NHL games prior to next season, and will not have played 6 pro games in each of 2 preceding seasons. He had 5 games a previous season and won't surpass 25 in total this year, though maybe they'd prorate in some fashion to make him ineligible, but I doubt it. It'd be neat to have him in the race for that assuming this is all accurate.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Ha he turns 26 two days after the cutoff which is apparently 15 September and you have to be 25 or younger.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Is Bunting's performance a fluke or are we just that bad at evaluating talent? I'm going to suggest a little bit of both. He's clearly "NHL ready", but his goals per game far exceed anything he did in Tucson. He is unlikely to continue at this pace but I'm happy to have him on board.

Reactions: Name Nameless

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Is Bunting's performance a fluke or are we just that bad at evaluating talent? I'm going to suggest a little bit of both. He's clearly "NHL ready", but his goals per game far exceed anything he did in Tucson. He is unlikely to continue at this pace but I'm happy to have him on board.
On a team where we have been literally begging guys to go to the net to create offence we are surprised when someone comes up from the farm and goes to the net and has success? He will get a one way deal and he earned it. I wouldn't bank on 30 a year on a full season. Likely closer to 10-15. A 31% shooting percentage (7th in the league ) is not sustainable.

Reactions: Jakey53

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
we are surprised when someone comes up from the farm and goes to the net and has success?

Did you mean to put a question mark? Yes, yes I am very surprised. Who knew Tucson held such secrets and riches?

I put my money on a 20+ goal season next year.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Did you mean to put a question mark? Yes, yes I am very surprised. Who knew Tucson held such secrets and riches?
It was a rhetorical question. Bunting has a 31.8% shooting percentage. Something he has never done before and may never do again. Lets not start talking numbers to re-sign that start with a 2. He’s earned a one way. NHL GM’s have access to the stats and have heard of outliers.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Bunting will be on the team next season, he almost has to be with what he has shown and his goal production. However, a new coach might have a different opinion. Keep in mind he is a winger with production over a small sample. Does he turn into Garland or Klinkhamer? We don't know yet.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Bunting will be on the team next season, he almost has to be with what he has shown and his goal production. However, a new coach might have a different opinion. Keep in mind he is a winger with production over a small sample. Does he turn into Garland or Klinkhamer? We don't know yet.

True, but his playing style to me indicates more durable production, and how he's being used shows the coaching staff has realized it too.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
On a team where we have been literally begging guys to go to the net to create offence we are surprised when someone comes up from the farm and goes to the net and has success? He will get a one way deal and he earned it. I wouldn't bank on 30 a year on a full season. Likely closer to 10-15. A 31% shooting percentage (7th in the league ) is not sustainable.
His shots are almost all right on the doorstep of the crease though, so you would expect his shooting percentage to be high from there. Given that though, teams probably know what he can do now and will try and prevent it, so he'll not get such an exclusive set of opportunities in front of the net and will have to take some lower percentage shots for sure. Based on his work ethic I expect he'll do alright, but certainly will not maintain this pace.

Reactions: Grimes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad