Future of Michael Bunting

SAS

Sep 29, 2017
I was curious as to everyone's thoughts about Bunting's future. He had been compared to Marchand in terms of his ability to be a super pest. He seems like he could be a great 3rd line grinder who gets 30-40 points in the NHL. Thoughts?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
He'll be 25 by the time next season starts. He needs to win a job in camp like a number of Tucson guys.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Interesting to hear Morgan say that. Who plays 4C then? Schmaltz to C and bump Soderberg and Stepan down a line? Then rotate the healthy scratch through Bunting, Fischer, Vinnie and Grabner?

I think Buntings most likely path to the NHL is next season if we sign Hall and look to fill the roster with some cheap contracts.

Reactions: Surfshop

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Interesting to hear Morgan say that. Who plays 4C then? Schmaltz to C and bump Soderberg and Stepan down a line? Then rotate the healthy scratch through Bunting, Fischer, Vinnie and Grabner?

I think Buntings most likely path to the NHL is next season if we sign Hall and look to fill the roster with some cheap contracts.
A healthy Hayton I would speculate.

Reactions: ck26 and Jakey53

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I think they are hoping Bunting, Chaput, Pedersen, or Bennett are able to fill Hinostroza's roster spot next year when he files for arbitration.

Vinnie is at a turning point in his career. He's going to want to max his money and term. Not a great fit for a team trying to squeeze in Hall or any other big money free agent. No hard feelings. It's probably just time to move on. No need to over pay a slightly above average replacement player these days. Back when we had all the caproom in the world, I'd have loved to keep him.

Fish isn't arbitration eligible, so he probably stays (cheap).

Reactions: RemoAZ and Jakey53

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Dillon was bad when I saw him live a few days ago, chased the puck quite often in the D-zone and made at least 4 bad passes in the O-zone with no pressure on him, some of which ended up as turnovers.

Only one game and I don't know enough to have a strong opinion on him, but he was not good against us this week (of course none of the sharks were good so there's that)

Reactions: Jakey53

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I have been on the Bunting train for a little while now. Honestly think that he provides some of what we are looking for - a little bit of a pest who gets under the other team's skin. If he were 6'2" and 210 lbs., he would be our 4th line grit/energy guy. Improved everyvyear since being in Tucson.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Just wondering the same thing because I hadn't realized he was signed through next year.

No NHL games this year but had his best seasons statistically in the AHL.

How realistic that he earns a spot in training camp?

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
On latest Nattie Hattie podcast Morgan openly suggested the organization may bring up some players to play in place of Richardson who has struggled.
Richardson had injury issues all season and had surgery immediately after the season was interrupted. He should be good to go when the season restarts so I guess it's possible he could get outplayed in camp, but I think it's less likely with that knowledge to explain his poorer season thus far.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
If we move out multiple players to sign Hall he may have a spot on the 4th line. I have a feeling Chayka likes Burke more though.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Bunting and Capo are evidence of the Coyotes STILL being trash at prospect development. They made decent draft picks, were patient and helped the kids grow into AHL stars. Then what? We've yet to see a path forward for them. We're in cap trouble and these guys should be the answer.

It's so important to have a pipeline from AHL to NHL supplying cheap depth.

Garland graduated but he's such a talent that he's a different case. Dvorak and Crouse were clearly labeled for the NHL coming out of the OHL, they just made a stopover.

Last edited:

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Bunting and Capo are evidence of the Coyotes STILL being trash at prospect development. They made decent draft picks, were patient and helped the kids grow into AHL stars. Then what? We've yet to see a path forward for them. We're in cap trouble and these guys should be the answer.

Garland graduated but he's such a talent that he's a different case. Dvorak and Crouse were clearly labeled for the NHL coming out of the OHL, they just made a stopover.

I think one issue is Chayka went hard on younger players and gutting the roster he took over. I think he over filled the winger pipeline, but it also didn't help that all of Garland, Crouse and Fischer can play in the big league. He also had to replace hole that he gutted with vets or 90% of the team could have been sub 28 year olds.

Again if we need to clear cap space if imagine a combo of Stepan, Hino, Richardson and Grabner could be gone. Bunting could get his chance next year.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

If you draft trash you are already behind the eight ball. Chayka revamped the scouting department for the better I think. We might have a few gems in the pipeline right now in the names of Soderstrom, Jenik and Maccelli to name a few. I would hope these three will be with the Yotes in two years. Remember, no one thought, or gave it much thought that Garland would ever play in the NHL. Most on this board probably would have traded him two years ago.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
If you draft trash you are already behind the eight ball. Chayka revamped the scouting department for the better I think. We might have a few gems in the pipeline right now in the names of Soderstrom, Jenik and Maccelli to name a few. I would hope these three will be with the Yotes in two years. Remember, no one thought, or gave it much thought that Garland would ever play in the NHL. Most on this board probably would have traded him two years ago.
I found it interesting that we were the only organization in THN’s future watch who had in the top 100 representation at forward (Jenik, Maccelli), defense (Soderstrom), and goaltending (Prosvotov). most teams had representation in one area.

Reactions: MIG

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I found it interesting that we were the only organization in THN’s future watch who had in the top 100 representation at forward (Jenik, Maccelli), defense (Soderstrom), and goaltending (Prosvotov). most teams had representation in one area.
These lists don't mean anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad