Future of ESPN/+

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Disney CEO was on CNBC's Fast Monday Wednesday, November 10.
Check out this Podcast: First On CNBC: Disney CEO Bob Chapek Dives Into the Latest Quarter https://player.fm/1BKqUHU

Fresh off earnings call, addressed the future of sports on Disney platforms.

They seem to be looking to get a near monopoly of sports to be viewed on their streaming service.

Specifically mentioned NFL Red Zone potentially.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Makes sense, if you aren't limited by time constraints anymore re: scheduling, might as well have all the sports on your service.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Check out this Podcast: First On CNBC: Disney CEO Bob Chapek Dives Into the Latest Quarter https://player.fm/1BKqUHU

They seem to be looking to get a near monopoly of sports to be viewed on their streaming service.

If you want to put all the sports on your streaming service, make the user interface better.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto

Sure but they will have competition from PeaCOCK, Amazon Prime, Netflix (maybe), CBS, Youtube etc. This new world is much different than the Cable world.

Reactions: Kalv

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
If you want to put all the sports on your streaming service, make the user interface better.

What exactly is wrong with the user interface?

Browse -> List of all the sports you can browse(pretty self explanatory)
Schedule and Replays -> List is broken down by either Live, Upcoming, or Replay. Then you can filter by which sport you want to see, as well as if it's espn+, or if you want to watch ESPN etc.

Seems pretty basic and easy to navigate to me no?

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto

Schedule and Replays -> List is broken down by either Live, Upcoming, or Replay. Then you can filter by which sport you want to see, as well as if it's espn+, or if you want to watch ESPN etc.

There are a couple things that are wishlist items for me but definitely not a deal breaker with what they have today. I'd prefer my favourite leagues up front on the guide (I have been innedated with College Basketball this week) and some sort of no-spoiler features where they don't display the results via a video clip or score.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007

ID favorite sports and always show those shelves on top would be nice. I feel like i have to click through a lot of garbage to find hockey games.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA

1. Be able to turn scores off
  2. Have an easier way to get to specific leagues you want to see, or set an option in settings to filter only the leagues you want to see. This week I have been inundated with College Basketball and I don't want to see that. If I want to go into Multi-cast mode, I should just see all the Hockey games and that's it
  3. Be able to start a game while it's still going on, and not be afraid of spoilers
  4. No more blackouts of NHL Network games
  5. Don't black out games that are out of market and then say that it is the internet providers fault (This happened to me last night with the Ducks game. The reps are useless)
  6. Have better navigation capabilities on the computer side of ESPN+
  7. Fix the Ipad app because it doesn't work
  8. Have more games on demand
I think there are a few more, but this is the gist of my issues with ESPN+ at the moment.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Monopoly wouldn't be good. But yeah, somehow it feels there will be competition for these deals

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
There way more properties then there ever was before in this country and many niche spots are trying to find alternatives to mainstream tv ie masl on Facebook live or the Nll a few years ago put games in twitter

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
Many smaller properties have completely. Left ESPN like pba nhra bass masters champions league etc.. Simply ESPN+ couldn’t be a monopoly even if they wanted to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad