Speculation: future number one defenseman

4-5 years from now who is number one defenseman on the team

• Total voters

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Didn't vote in the poll because I don't think any of the options fit.

I doubt either Cholowski or Hronek have it in them, but I think they could both develop into a good #2 if paired with a good #1.

Looks like we'll probably be getting a forward with our high pick this year so unless we get a dman with our likely high pick in 2020 then not sure that drafting will be the route. Because I think the 2020-21 season we will begin to rise again.

And we simply don't have the assets to acquire a #1 through trade short of unloading Larkin+ which obviously won't happen.

So the reason I didn't vote was because I think our best chance of acquiring a #1 is through free agency. I want Karlsson, even at an overpayment. Very rare for a top 5 dman to hit the open market. Fortunately if he re-signs in SJ or with another team Trouba is coming up in the next offseason. But Karlsson is the guy for me, an undisputed #1 and one of the best as well, if not the best.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mister Bungle

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I thought I heard the team will be focusing on forwards in the first round. Can anyone confirm this. Pretty sure I read this not too long ago.

Maybe you got it mixed up with Carolina?

“We won't be drafting defence in the first round as long as I’m here. I’ve got to have more offense, I want to lose five to four, not two to one. If we lose five to four, at least I’ll have fun”.
- Tom Dundon, Carolina Hurricanes owner
LINK

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I thought I heard the team will be focusing on forwards in the first round. Can anyone confirm this. Pretty sure I read this not too long ago.
Is Jamie Drysdale considered the #1 D man available? He might be a nice add if we miss out on Hughes/ Kakko/Dach or Cozens.

I was referring to the 2020 Draft. I think Drysdale and Barron have top pairing potential.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Teams with youngest 1st defencemen are not playoff teams. This is a KILLER FACT.

If somebody thinks that our 1st defenceman will come from 2019, 2020, 2021 drafts, prepare not seeing the playoffs for next ~6-7-8 seasons.

Almost all contenders are having in-prime or veteran defences, and rebuilding teams with kid defences are year-after-year outside of the playoff contention.

Our solution to match with the current kid core with age is not draft, it's a trade or free agency. Or some huge jump from Cholowski/Hronek/McIsaac.

That's possible, that we draft a high-potential defenceman at 2019-2020-2021, but we will use him as trade bait for a proven 1st D. That drafted guy himself won't ever be a Red Wings, when we are contending again. Our contending will happen earlier, with a different guy than that drafted kid.

Last edited:

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Cholowski is a good young player, but being a true #1 is a huge step up for almost anyone. It's not a reasonable expectation, IMO.

Same for Hronek.

they can be the #1 on the team in 4-5 years while not being a true #1 they aren't mutually exclusive

personally I think in 4-5 years Cholowski is the #1 defenseman on the team and I also don't think he'll ever be a "true" #1

I don't think the Wings get one of those until they eventually draft one in another decade or two

Reactions: AttilaTheFun
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I think that's for this year. Which is understandable, because the Wings project to pick before any defensemen would be appropriate value. I like Bowen Byram's game, but he's a solid step or two away from Cozens/Dach/Podkolzin.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I think that's for this year. Which is understandable, because the Wings project to pick before any defensemen would be appropriate value. I like Bowen Byram's game, but he's a solid step or two away from Cozens/Dach/Podkolzin.

And when we will have surplus of forwards, we could be ready for a trade for a defenceman.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Lindstrom.

I don't know anything about him but his name, but I'm confident he'll be our #1 for a long time.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I went with Hronek, mostly because I just like his game a bit more than Cholo's. Maybe we sign a #1 through UFA, but I don't think we get a guy a like that. Instead, the Wings will look at a blueline by committee. Sign someone like Gardiner this summer, a similar level player next summer, and build a blueline of guys who are but not great and who all can eat ~20 minutes a night.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
What I really am starting to love about Cholowki are the little things, like how he's getting good at keeping the puck in the opponent's zone. Man, is that something I've missed seeing the last six or seven seasons. I could almost cry! I can remember when we didn't even have a guy on the squad who could make an outlet pass.

Hronek could become well known for his offense and I love watching him play already. However, in recent years, one of Detroit's most talented players was a defender who was an all-star because of his offensive production, but it still didn't make him a #1. Not even on Detroit which had issues with defenders.

Notwithstanding, four to five years is enough time to draft another one or two more, develop them and have them playing on a first pair. Nobody knows how the drafts will go, where you will end up, who you will get. It just depends.

I think you only trade for one if all else fails one but that still assumes you're ready to make that kind of move after 4-5 more years of rebuilding. With the way the lottery is, who knows? You might not even have enough offense at that point.

Edit: I voted draft.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad