Future Matthews vs future Nylander

Muggs

Oct 29, 2016
Love Willy but I think the OP is sniffing something.

And yeah, at this point Mitch has every bit the upside of Nylander. Plus he drives a line, something I'd like to see Willy do in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cotton

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Lol to funny... ,Nylander is not better than Mathews today, or tomorrow or n XR week or next nor ever. He is limited by his lack of physical aggression and the will to put it all on the line to win.
Love Willy but I think the OP is sniffing something.

And yeah, at this point Mitch has every bit the upside of Nylander. Plus he drives a line, something I'd like to see Willy do in the future.

That is the real debate and hockey experts put Marner ahead of Nylander and I agree.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He may not end up being better than Marner never mind Matthews.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Lol to funny... ,Nylander is not better than Mathews today, or tomorrow or n XR week or next nor ever. He is limited by his lack of physical aggression and the will to put it all on the line to win.

That is the real debate and hockey experts put Marner ahead of Nylander and I agree.

I'm no sure you'd find a consensus on Marner vs Nylander. I'd say most analysts or fans for that matter likely have them neck and neck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nithoniniel

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
He is limited by his lack of physical aggression and the will to put it all on the line to win.

Whatever :rolleyes:

It's not like Matthews is out there fighting and blocking any more shots with his face than Nylander is. You're literally saying that just because he's Swedish.

Reactions: thewave

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

I personally have Marner better than Nylander going forward but I'm definitely not knocking anyone for having the opposite, they're pretty damn close. Marner seems to get a little more criticism around here (especially lately) which leads to a lot of people taking Nylander.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Said a year ago Nylander is poised to possibly be one of the greatest Swedish forwards of all time.

He really is amazing. He's been dominating at every level he's played so far.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
You're not delusional, but Matthews is way better at the little things you don't typically notice as much. Nylander is more flashy which generates hype... He could become better, but Matthews is much more likely to be the all around better of the two in my opinion.

Both should be ppg+ players.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Willy has a shot at being one of the best players in the league. Matthews has a shot at being one of the best players in the history of the game.

There is a reason Willy looks as good as he does, Matthews is constantly drawing two guys on the play leaving Willy open. If Willy were better it would be the other way around.

Reactions: hurricanematthews

Morlu

Nov 4, 2011
Nylander is the better player today. He's a 21-year old Pavel Datsyuk. And his numbers so far suggest that he's on track to being in contention for the best Swede of all-time. (Of course, Matthews could end up in the same conversation for US players.)

Willie is faster, has better edges, and is already one of the best passers in league.

Please don't say that on the main boards. I beg you. I love the kid but best swede ever....

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Do you like Malkin better or Crosby. Do you like Sakic or Forsberg.

If all goes well, the two will go back and forth and make it difficult to answer even when their careers are over and they're on Legends Row.
I'll take Yzerman & Federov circa 93-98 tyvm I know austons bigger and a different player than Stevie Y, but that was always my favourite duo growing up.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Whatever :rolleyes:

It's not like Matthews is out there fighting and blocking any more shots with his face than Nylander is. You're literally saying that just because he's Swedish.
I am literally saying because it's true. He plays a soft game and prefers to stick check. Massive skill with his shot being elite.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
its scary how matthews is one of most dangerous players in hockey, yet nylander is so close in terms of whos better, i gotta say matthews is a bit better but man willie can go pointless like tonight and still look like he coulda easily picked up 2 points

Mar 26, 2010
Matthews and Nylander are both elite. They will be Leafs for a long time.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
Marner and Nylander seem to bounce back and forth in terms of popularity. When Marner was first drafted, he was rated as our top prospect in the board poll. He struggled in his first training camp, and Nylander re-assumed the reins. They bounced back and forth last year, with Nylander having a better playoff and starting this season off better, so he's the hotter ticket right now. Two months from now, maybe it will be Marner.

But the constant is that Matthews is always good. In fact, I think he's already assumed that role that makes it easier for his teammates. Imagine it there was no Matthews and Nylander was expected to be that #1 centre night in, night out. He might struggle a bit with that added pressure. How would Marner handle being the only serious offensive threat like Kessel was when he was here? He's probably better equipped to handle it then Kessel was, but fortunately we won't need to find out because it will never be the case.

If this Leafs core achieves the ultimate goal (knock on wood), any of the three are capable of leading the way in the playoffs (like Malkin taking the Conn Smythe over Crosby in 2009). But Matthews will always be "the" guy in Toronto.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
I watched the game on and off last night. Nylander didn't seem to have his best game, or did I just miss his best shifts?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Nylander will be an Elite, Elite 1st line Centre (reminds me a lot of Nick Backstrom but with a Much better shot)
Matthews is a Franchise Centre (generational?) and will be second to McDavid for years to come (he is more dominant in my opinion like Malkin with Kanes hands and plays a hard 2 way game...but McJesus is FAST)

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Grundstrom - Nylander - Kappanen
______ - Kadri - Brown
Soshnikov - Gauthier - Rychel

Rielly - Liljegren
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Borgman

Anderson
Pickard​

off topic but the speed McDavid plays at scares me for his health, just needs to be knocked slightly off stride and he going to go flying as we saw with his first injury to date. Dmen are going to take him down as thats the only option they have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad