Line Combos: Future Lines (2020+)

DB0SS

Aug 26, 2012
Canada, eh?
Currently writing this really long, really boring essay and needed to take a break.

With the Wings inevitably entering a rebuild and it being the end of the year, who do you think are going to be impact players long term on the team? Which guys are staples in the lineup? When the team is becoming relatively competitive again, what do you think our lineup will look like? Lets speculate! :yo:

Basing my roster three years down the line, 2019/2020 season.

Svechnikov - Larkin - Mantha
AA - Neilsen - Tatar
Bertuzzi - Holmstrom - G. Smith
Abdelkader - Glendenning - Helm

Dekeyser - Hronek
Ouellet - Jensen
Cholowski - Saarijarvi

(Nyquist traded for D help, Z retired.)

Obviously not talented enough (especially on the backend), and expecting too much of our prospects. With our high draft picks, and maybe some key UFA signings/ trades, could it look something like this down the line and actually be competitive?

UFA/ DRAFT - UFA/ DRAFT - Mantha
Svechnikov - Larkin - Tatar
AA - UFA/ DRAFT - Bert/ Smith
Abdelkader - Glen/ Neilsen - Bert/ Smith

UFA/ DRAFT - Hronek (?)
Dekeyser - UFA/ DRAFT
Cholowski - Jensen

Helm/ Glen gets dumped. Big Rig LTIR'd, Green traded/ unsigned, Kronner retired.

We have a looong way to go, but I'm excited about the pieces we have now & I'm excited for competitive Wings hockey in the future!

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Tatar-Nielsen-Mantha
Larkin-Sheahan-Nyquist
Athanasiou-Helm-Svechnikov
Bertuzzi-Nosek-Glendening

DeKeyser-Jensen
Ouellet-Russo
Lashoff-Hronek

In the system: Cholowski

Howard-Coreau

I think this group has got it all. Let's tour the roster, shall we?

• We have the winger depth the organization prefers, sometimes even to the exclusion of all other positions.
  • We have Larkin playing where Blashill is most comfortable with him: on a depth line, on the wing.
  • But thankfully, we have Riley Sheahan's defensive presence to watch over Larkin's youthful indiscretions. Sheahan is so good at defense, sometimes he's defending against both teams at once!
  • As is well-established in the literature, Darren Helm is the best third liner in the league, and at his cap hit, we could afford to have two!
  • Athanasiou is best used on the wing, on the third line, where his lone talent of skating really, really fast in a straight line can be best utilized.
  • On defense, DeKeyser brings a steady presence, and Jensen compliments him, as they both have a certain bland, undefined quality in their games. They're not excellent at anything, but they're pretty good at some things.
  • Ouellet and Russo are a great pairing. Their strategy is that if they stand really close together on the ice, they appear to be literally the same player, and this totally freaks out the opposition.
  • Cholowski is still in the pipeline, but he's a highly anticipated project. The Wings are just waiting for him to finish up college, and then he'll sign. He's currently working on his dissertation, but it's any day now.
  • Jimmy Howard just signed a new multi-year contract, and rumor has it that it lasts until he can collect Social Security. Ken Holland is really serious about cementing his legacy; his contracts will last for two generations yet to come! Now that's a heck of a builder.

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Mantha - Petterson - Svechnikov
Athanasiou - Larkin - Tatar
Nyquist - Nielsen - Helm
Bertuzzi - Glendening - Abdelkader
Holmstrom/Smith

Cholowski - Hronek
Dekeyser - Saarijarvi
Hicketts - Ouellet
Jensen/Sambrook

Mrazek
Van Pottelberghe

Defense is impossible to know, forward group should look pretty good in a few years if we find a #1C (hoping for our '17 #1 pick to be that guy).

theD86

Winging it
Jun 23, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
The offense should be good moving forward. However, if the Wings don't build from the backend out they'll be is serious trouble.

They need a solid top pairing.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Currently writing this really long, really boring essay and needed to take a break.

With the Wings inevitably entering a rebuild and it being the end of the year, who do you think are going to be impact players long term on the team? Which guys are staples in the lineup? When the team is becoming relatively competitive again, what do you think our lineup will look like? Lets speculate! :yo:

Basing my roster three years down the line, 2019/2020 season.

Svechnikov - Larkin - Mantha
AA - Neilsen - Tatar
Bertuzzi - Holmstrom - G. Smith
Abdelkader - Glendenning - Helm

Dekeyser - Hronek
Ouellet - Jensen
Cholowski - Saarijarvi

(Nyquist traded for D help, Z retired.)

Obviously not talented enough (especially on the backend), and expecting too much of our prospects. With our high draft picks, and maybe some key UFA signings/ trades, could it look something like this down the line and actually be competitive?

UFA/ DRAFT - UFA/ DRAFT - Mantha
Svechnikov - Larkin - Tatar
AA - UFA/ DRAFT - Bert/ Smith
Abdelkader - Glen/ Neilsen - Bert/ Smith

UFA/ DRAFT - Hronek (?)
Dekeyser - UFA/ DRAFT
Cholowski - Jensen

Helm/ Glen gets dumped. Big Rig LTIR'd, Green traded/ unsigned, Kronner retired.

We have a looong way to go, but I'm excited about the pieces we have now & I'm excited for competitive Wings hockey in the future!

If Nyquist is traded for D help, where is that on the list? lol All homegrown players in your D ranks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad