Future Defencemen........

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by HABIMUS-MAXIMUS, Apr 6, 2006.

View Users: View Users
  1. HABIMUS-MAXIMUS

HABIMUS-MAXIMUS Registered User

Home Page:
    From what I've heard, this is going to be a weak draft. Can anyone tell me who are the highest ranked defencemen coming into this years draft?

I want to know if there will be any "D" worthwhile when the Habs are going to pick.

I assume Habs will finish somewhere above the 15-20 mark.

Thanks for your extensive knowledge..........

2. inferno98

inferno98 Registered User

You have the three americans Johnson, Williams, Sanguinetti, not sure of others
    then canadian, wishart and shutron

1.Johnson
    2. Sanguinetti
    3.Wishart
    4.Williams
    5.Shutron
    (imo)

1-4 should go in the top 20, i can see shutron dropping out but the habs have a shot at williams and probably wishart

btw what happened to dowzak?

3. J17 Vs Proclamation

J17 Vs Proclamation Registered User

College baby!
    Williams will go top 15 i'd expect, which means the Habs wont have a chance to pick him up. I'd say he will either be the 2nd or 3rd Dman picked up in this years draft.

Don't know anything about Shutron. What kinda game does he play?

4. inferno98

Ben Shutron: Someone will step up and take him due to his skill level, but he has no clue on defensive-zone responsibilities and no hockey sense in general. Terrible decision maker.

That is what the guy from red line had to say about him but he has put up some #'s playing for the Kingston Frontenacs
    Gp G A P
    67 10 29 39
    and he is a plus 14 up from his -26 last year, SO im not sure how he can say he has no hockey sense and it seems as if he just gets better every year so he will be good

Im pretty sure Erik Johnson is a lock on # 1 d-man then i am assuming if you want a solid d-man you take williams if you want a scoring d-man you take sanguinetti and if you want a solid scoring d-man you take wishart, wishart has put up some real good numbers in the dub
    gp g a p +/-
    70 5 32 37 12

In the new NHL a nice fast scoring d-man is thriving look at Phaneuf and Pitkanen both young guys
    the #2-4 d-man is up in there air but i would still go with my top 5 list in that order

5. bigd

bigd Registered User

"If you want a solid D-man you take Williams". What are you smoking? Have you ever seen this kid play? That is his biggest weakness. He is clearly a project and is only drawing interest because of his size. He's a very good skater for a big man and has a good shot but his defensive play needs a lot of work.

6. Amadeus

Amadeus Stand Witness

You're right. Williams is a big mystery in this draft. However, im still pretty sure he'll go top 10.

Other defensemen

Joey Ryan
    John DeGray

7. inferno98

To tell you the truth I have never seem him play, i am pretty much just going on what other people have said, so I am then completley wrong. I just assumed he was solid. What were his stats at the NTDP?

Also I am wondering what happen to Dowzak? I beleive in the first ISS for this draft he was some where near 15? Did he just totally fall of?

8. MN_Gopher

MN_Gopher Registered User

medical
    Home Page:
    David Fischer might be a late first. Tons of skill with and edge. But is 6'# and like 170 something. Needs to really fill out. But could be a steal.

9. MS

MS 1%er

Dowzak is a pylon. Pretty strong in the corners and in front of the net, but seriously lacking in footspeed and puck skill. Was basically a 3rd-pairing type in the WHL this season, and then ended up missing most of the second half with a knee injury. I really don't know how he was rated as highly as he was at the start of the season.

I'd guess 5th-6th round for him at this point. Mike Gauthier is a similar player who went #169 overall last year after a similar disappointing/injury-filled season.

Looking at guys of the same ilk just in the WHL, big defensive defenders like Matt McCue (Spokane), Graham Poteur (Everett), and Jordan Bendfield (Medicine Hat) seem ahead of him at this point and will likely be taken ahead of him in the draft.

10. bigd

bigd Registered User

What about Corrente? I've heard a lot about him. I heard he has a rocket of a shot but is he a good skater?

11. inferno98

Thanks for the info, I remembered seeing him so high then nothing said about him. Thanks though.

12. Hi-wayman

Hi-wayman Registered User

Manager, Corporate RE
    Home Page:
    Sounds like a perfect draft choice for Vancouver. Being a defenseman & having no hockey sense in general will allow him to fit right in with the other Canuck players and prospects.
    ;)

13. Burke's Evil Spirit

Burke's Evil Spirit Registered User

CS
    How's Shutron's attitude? Because that's all that matters - defense can be taught.

14. PanthersFanatic12

PanthersFanatic12 Registered User

panthers will prolly end up anywhere btw around 9th spot to 12th spot . what defensemen in this years draft can compliment pairing with bouwmeester ?. panthers need a someone whose solid defensively and has a scoring touch . Thanks in advance for ur responses.

15. rt

rt DingDongTippIsGone! Sponsor

How's Ryan's skating? I've read that he's really nasty out there.