Future Coyotes Scoreboard Watch

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Oiler fan here...I live in a town that is connected to Kitchener. I don't follow the Rangers as closely as I once did but still watch 20-30 or so games a year. MacInnis was a guy I was hoping the Oilers might get in a later round. He is definitely a solid all round player. Great size, responsible in his own end and a guy who knows how to play the game. He is more of a playmaker than a finisher (though he has a decent shot) which hurts his numbers somewhat because the Rangers are more of a score by committee team than many teams in the OHL. There are no high end offensive guys to help pad his numbers so he is earning his near ppg totals. Could end up being a solid NHL'er for a lot of years.

Appreciate the scouting report! :handclap:

BTW, it is nice to see Rieder playing well for the Yotes. He was one of my favourite prospects.

Same here - in fact, I had wanted Rieder from Edmonton for a while before we actually made the deal. One of the very rare times when the hockey gods decided to grant my wish...

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Oiler fan here...I live in a town that is connected to Kitchener. I don't follow the Rangers as closely as I once did but still watch 20-30 or so games a year. MacInnis was a guy I was hoping the Oilers might get in a later round. He is definitely a solid all round player. Great size, responsible in his own end and a guy who knows how to play the game. He is more of a playmaker than a finisher (though he has a decent shot) which hurts his numbers somewhat because the Rangers are more of a score by committee team than many teams in the OHL. There are no high end offensive guys to help pad his numbers so he is earning his near ppg totals. Could end up being a solid NHL'er for a lot of years.

BTW, it is nice to see Rieder playing well for the Yotes. He was one of my favourite prospects.

Thanks for the update my fellow tanker.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Same here - in fact, I had wanted Rieder from Edmonton for a while before we actually made the deal. One of the very rare times when the hockey gods decided to grant my wish...

Rieder was not really all that popular a pick when he was first drafted. For some reason, it got around on the Oiler board that he was slow and that he was one dimensional, both completely false. He was viewed as just another small offensive winger who did not even have much in the way of numbers to back it up the offensive part of the claim.

Then in his post draft year he put up big numbers playing with Michael Catenacci and some Oiler fans took notice. But the pick was still criticized as being another small skilled winger who was slow. So they at least recognized that he had skill but that the claim then became that since he could only play top 6 or bust, he was a waste. Few seemed to believe that he was a terrific penalty killer, very good defensively, and a guy who while not physical would not back down. Personally always I thought he could play effectively on a third line.

Then the trade for Kessey happened and all of a sudden Rieder was a star who the Oilers gave away for nothing. You guys most likely got the best player, but Kessey was actually looking pretty good in OKC before getting hurt. There were rumours that he was about to be called up. The Oilers need a guy with size and skill set to pan out. So there is still a chance that this trade works out well for both teams.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Thanks for the update my fellow tanker.

At least there is one thing that the Oilers know how to do as well as anyone in the league. Catching them won't be easy.:D

That said if Marner is a guy that the Coyotes really want I doubt there is much danger the Oilers pick him. Right now I'd say that McDavid, Eichel, Hanifin and Strome are the top four on their list. After that I think Crouse and Zacha get some consideration with Provonov also on the list. MacT seem to be allergic to smaller guys right now.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Updated

not a particularly great week for any of the prospects, but nothing bad either. Dauphin going along a 1.40+ clip on a mediocre Chico team. Perlini doing well on Niagara. Bunting steady above 1.15+ and Samuelsson maintaining his .50 clip in the AHL

Portland is going to be hurting without Lessio/Martinook/Gormley etc...so I wouldn't expect much from Samuelsson coming down the stretch given his linemates.

We should vault into the top 10 in Prospect pool with:
Domi/Perlini/Dvorak/Samuelsson/Dauphin/MacInnis/Bunting/LaPlante/Langhamer/Burke, etc...

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Updated

I don't know what has happened to Langhamer, but he's went in the tank the last 15 games, well over 4.00gaa and save pct% less than .880...really have to question whether he's hurt or playing through an injury.

Bunting with a heck of a week, might get player of the week honors.

Samuelsson putting up respectable numbers given his centers are atrocious.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Karlsson is looking like a hell of a finisher in a tough league. Bunting looks to be a similar player, but I'm very impressed with Karlsson's numbers. I watched him in WJC and he looks like a menace to play against who you cannot allow to play around the net. Love it.

Dauphin is looking like he has cooled down a little.

Samuelsson has looked extremely consistent all season, nothing spectacular but not as a kid on a team that has had a lot of call ups, and a strong team effort I am happy.

Mayo...wow. This may be a very good late pick. While we rebuild our forward core getting gems on the blueline is going to be extremely important, especially if Gormely doesn't work out. From what I have heard he is a Yandle-lite. Is this accurate?

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Karlsson is looking like a hell of a finisher in a tough league. Bunting looks to be a similar player, but I'm very impressed with Karlsson's numbers. I watched him in WJC and he looks like a menace to play against who you cannot allow to play around the net. Love it.

Dauphin is looking like he has cooled down a little.

Samuelsson has looked extremely consistent all season, nothing spectacular but not as a kid on a team that has had a lot of call ups, and a strong team effort I am happy.

Mayo...wow. This may be a very good late pick. While we rebuild our forward core getting gems on the blueline is going to be extremely important, especially if Gormely doesn't work out. From what I have heard he is a Yandle-lite. Is this accurate?

I think he can be just as good as Yandle He's 23 and Yandle 28..Gorms is progressing about the same rate. Yandle broke into the line up 6 years ago looked bad and got lots of flak but has become the great player he is today.

Watching Gormley play, he has good defensive play, great head movement when looking for an outlet pass. His wrist shot is pretty good. I'd like to see his slap shot and if he jumps into an offensive play. Think he just needs more playing time

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Karlsson is looking like a hell of a finisher in a tough league.

Not sure what you're looking at, but Karlsson's points have nearly all come in the U20 league, not the actual SHL.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Well, that really spoils all my assumptions....

Yeah, the points I've totaled for Karlsson are all for the Junior 20 league totals.

For the SHL, I think he's got 10 games and has 2 assists. Not terrible considering he's a late 97 bday who missed the cutoff by a week, otherwise he would have been in this year's draft.

He'll be in the SHL next season and I'm sure we'll get a better read on his ability to produce. That said, I think he would have honestly been in a better position had he come over to NA and played with McDavid. It would have done wonders for his production and frankly his style of play is more suited to the smaller ice than playing over in Europe.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Updated and I've inserted Duclair.

Here's hoping he and Domi can continue their chemistry with each other.

Bunting is starting to turn it on, Dauphin is as about as steady as a prospect gets, rarely does he not pick up a pt in a game, and he's on one of the worst offensive teams in the league and is putting up 1.3+ ppg, which I think is huge considering his team sucks.

LaPlante seems to have found his scoring touch again, he went the way of Moss there for a stretch of 20 games or so.

I've been impressed with MacInnis when I watch the film, Kitchener isn't that good, well below average and yet MacInnis looks good.

Mayo has been good as well.

If you want to watch a quality "pro shot", take a look at Perlini's highlights, I saw him at the rookie and regular camp, and was very impressed with his wrist shot, top notch and in his Jr Highlights, he comes flying down the wing and hits that upper right corner pretty often and it's by the goalie before he even moves, laser of a shot. Can't wait to see it in the pros.

We've finally got some speedsters that look like they can finish, hopefully they can continue to finish when they get to the big leagues.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Updated

Samuelsson must have liked the Pros, he's had a very good week, and is averaging a PPG over his last 6 games.

Dauphin is having a really good year leading his team, and they absolutely stink and he's above 1.30+ ppg which considering the team is really a great accomplishment. Can't wait to see him in San Antonio next year.

Can't wait to see some of our guys in the OHL playoffs (Domi, Dvorak, Perlini, Bunting, MacInnis), I think the only prospect that won't make it is Dauphin.

...and now that Karlsson is now signed with Frolunda and playing, I've switched all of his stats to the SHL, so he's had 2 assists in a total of 15 games. We'll see if he can increase his production.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Updated.

London Knights have gone in the tank...Domi I think 3pts over 3 games, Dvorak 0pts 3 games.

Dvorak it makes sense in that he was hurt last year, so his production in the last 20% of the season is no where near where it was early and mid. He's probably running on fumes or nursing some nagging injuries.

Perlini continues to roll along and Bunting is tearing it up now in the last 3rd of the season.

I've already discussed Samuelsson last 10 games, 9pts and seems to have found his stride.

***Didn't know if anyone saw, but LaPlante had a 4 goal game and 5 total pts*** must be trying to impress Donnie who mentioned him specifically from a question that he may or may not be signed. The body language wasn't good, so I don't think he's going to be signed...or at least that is how I read his body language.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Mayo putting up points. Any chance he can become our next Yandle

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
***Didn't know if anyone saw, but LaPlante had a 4 goal game and 5 total pts*** must be trying to impress Donnie who mentioned him specifically from a question that he may or may not be signed. The body language wasn't good, so I don't think he's going to be signed...or at least that is how I read his body language.

Why sign your own picks when you can sign scrubs from the NCAA?

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Updated.

Thanks for the updates; cool thread.

I just re-watched that part of the video and I think the squirming has more to do with Gormley. Maloney's brain went to screen saver for a second there after the AHL question ... "uhh, which player did he ask about again? Oh yeah, Laplante" but his answer was pretty straightforward.

When he mentioned Gormley, Maloney answered the question "does Gormley have a future here?" by pausing to pick his words, then explaining his injury setback, reminding us that Dahlbeck and Moore are good and then saying that when Gormley gets ice time, he needs to do something with it. That's not a yes.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Updated

Couple guys limped into the finish Perlini, Domi & Dvorak limped in the last 2 weeks.

Duclair has done well since being called out. Like to see that!

Langhamer looking like he's rounding into form again at just the right time, getting ready for playoffs.

Burke finally got his gaa below 3.00 and has the same save % as Langhamer.

All of the prospects outside of Kulda/Karlsson had extremely good years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad