News Article: Future College Drafted Free Agents

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I mean Hayes and Vesey are two very high profile recent-ish examples. John Gilmour was another one but he sucked. I'm sure there are others I can't remember. We're often linked (legitimately or not) with the big name college free agents.

Reactions: Crease and cwede

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I mean Hayes and Vesey are two very high profile recent-ish examples. John Gilmour was another one but he sucked. I'm sure there are others I can't remember. We're often linked (legitimately or not) with the big name college free agents.

Pionk was regarded as the best Dman out of his college FA group iirc

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
The guy who Flyers had drafted high, jay o'brien, went to BU
Can never eliminate Drury being interested ...

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
The guy who Flyers had drafted high, jay o'brien, went to BU
Can never eliminate Drury being interested ...

I can see Drury being interested in Jay O’Brien, Jake Wise , Kevin Wall (NY Kid), John Farinacci, Skyler Brind'Amour (although rumored to sign with his dad Rod who is the coach in Carolina Hurricanes

All center depth, worth a risk. Rangers have contract spots that can give one or 2 of these players ELC

Id sign Brind’Amour and O’Brien

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Pionk was regarded as the best Dman out of his college FA group iirc
Yeah, though I think OP (based on the thread he linked) was talking about guys who were drafted by one team, didn't sign with that team, and then signed somewhere else.

If we add UDFA college players to the mix, the Rangers are definitely one of the most active teams.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He wasn't an NCAA player, but Josh Nicholls was a guy who played in the OHL, was drafted by the Leafs who didn't sign him, and then we gave him a deal. He ended up an ECHL player who eventually left to play for Kunlun in China/the KHL where he is terrible.

Eric Hunter was drafted by Chicago but didn't sign, and then when he went back into the draft we picked him--and then also didn't sign him.

On the flipside was Ryan Mantha, who we didn't sign (surprisingly) and was then scooped up by Edmonton. He looked on his way to becoming an NHL player in some capacity but he had a blood clot mid-game which ended up basically making him blind in one eye and he had to retire.

More recently, we didn't sign Calle Sjalin, he had a bit of a breakout season in the SHL, and then signed on with Florida.

None of these guys fit OP's criteria, I just think their situations are interesting.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
He wasn't an NCAA player, but Josh Nicholls was a guy who played in the OHL, was drafted by the Leafs who didn't sign him, and then we gave him a deal. He ended up an ECHL player who eventually left to play for Kunlun in China/the KHL where he is terrible.

Eric Hunter was drafted by Chicago but didn't sign, and then when he went back into the draft we picked him--and then also didn't sign him.

On the flipside was Ryan Mantha, who we didn't sign (surprisingly) and was then scooped up by Edmonton. He looked on his way to becoming an NHL player in some capacity but he had a blood clot mid-game which ended up basically making him blind in one eye and he had to retire.

More recently, we didn't sign Calle Sjalin, he had a bit of a breakout season in the SHL, and then signed on with Florida.

None of these guys fit OP's criteria, I just think their situations are interesting.

In terms of UFA'w who did work out:

Girardi
Gilroy
Pionk
Vesey
Hayes

If we want to expand a bit there's:
Georgiev
Lettieri (who has had a good career for an undrafted undersized forward)
Zuccarello
Talbot

I'd argue Haggerty was a success as he was traded for Raanta

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Do the Rangers sign any of these types?

Here are some notes I have on Farinacci, O'Brien and Mastrosimone

Jay O'Brien -- He's considered a first round bust and will not be signed by Philadelphia who instead will take a compensatory second round pick. But the problem is not so much with the player as Philadelphia made a poor choice. I remember extensive comment at the time of the draft that O'Brien was a reach. And then he had some injury issues. But he wound up having a pretty good career at BU scoring at a point per game for three seasons. He may not be an NHL talent but he has some offense and creativity that could be useful for a team lacking in those characteristics.

John Farinacci -- He's a third round pick of Arizona who has announced he will not sign with the team and become a free agent on August 15. The 21 year old center from Harvard played on the US team at the world junior championships with Brett Barard scoring 7 points in 7 games. He was the captain on Harvard's team and averaged a point a game. Scott Wheeler ranked Farinacci as Arizona's 10th best prospect. Farinacci is from Red Bank New Jersey and his family members are Rangers fans although he rooted for the Penguins.

Robert Mastrosimone is from East Islip but grew up an Islander fan. Small, left wing, doesn't seem the Rangers need to add another small left wing to their prospect pool. https://usahockeymagazine.com/article/2018-12/rink-rat-robert-mastrosimone. From Athletic Red Wing reporter, Max Bultman, from this past March. “… while Robert Mastrosimone is having a great senior year at Arizona State, it’s still not clear whether he’ll be in the NHL at all next year — let alone with the Red Wings, as he’s able to sign anywhere as a free agent this summer.” From Corey Pronman on Red Wings prospects, last fall — Has a chance to play: skilled, intelligent, works hard, but small without a ton of speed.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It's not necessarily a bad idea to sign Farinacci but he's not beating out any of Zibanejad, Chytil, Trocheck anytime soon. Farinacci is a pretty good player but o make it we're looking at someone who would have to start on the bottom line and work his way up and how he'd handle a grind defensive oriented line would be a big question. My opinion if we sign him he spends at least a year or more in Hartford. To me BMB is a more likely guy to make it than he is though BMB is probably going back to juniors for another year. There's also Trivigno who really is small but also a guy who's willing to play nasty and has at least as much talent as Farinacci.

it's not that I'm against it but I don't think signing him is going to pay off very fast.

albinaguerette

Jun 21, 2023
I believe Farinacci's potential is worth considering. He has solid skills and could work up from the bottom line. And yep, I'm optimistic about his adaptability. While BMB is also a contender, I see Farinacci's promising future with proper development. Though he might start at Oxford University, his growth could be quicker than expected. Moreover, I admire students that learn and simultaneously practice sports because I don't manage all my academic tasks. https://assignmentbro.com/za/ is the online service that supports me, and due to this one, I have good grades and knowledge. I get professional assignment help, which saves my university success and makes me keep the name of a good student.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad