future 100 point producers

Status
Not open for further replies.

THE NEXT ONE #87

Dec 18, 2003
Zurich
Visit site
Hoffer said:
Rick Nash is a great goal scorer, but the rest of his game lacks. He needs to improve his two-way hockey, and if you check out his stats the assists are hardly where there goals are. Hopefully Zherdev will compliment him, like Heatley and Kovalchuk do to each other.

Yeah, but the only ****in thing is that Zherdev is also a goalscorer like Nash... The Jackets should trade Zherdev and maybe a future first round draft pick for Staal.

Nash and Staal in the same team....

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
go pierre hedin said:
Not sure if there's anyone that'll hit 100.

The scoring's gone down over the last 10 years.

Possibly Zherdev.

I agree. Unless the game changes dramatically I can't seen very many, if any 100 point scorers down the road.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Aver33 said:

What makes you think Nash could be 100 point scorer? IMO, he's not well rounded enough offensively to do that. 50 goals? Sure, but he'd have to add another dimension to his game, to get 100 points.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Caniacforever said:
Really Vlad? These names surprise me the most. Parise, Vanek, and Carter are all shoot first players. When was the last time you saw a player that shoots as much as these guys do eclipse the 100 point mark?

Bernier, Carter, and Horton are of the powerforwardish mold. Once again, Powerfowards don't very often eclipse the 100 point mark either. What gives?

Yeah, but I try to be positive here! :p

These eight players are the only prospects I am familiar with that I could think of as having a chance, even remote.

Vanek is all about offense and I like his ability around the net. I think he shows great patience at times and a nack for keeping control of the puck in the offensive zone. Players who can do that, even if they don't have the mindset of a playmaker, can rack up some assists at times. He's more likely an 80 point player if things go well.

Parise I disagree with you. I think he is a versatile forward. I see a risk that he won't be as effective in the NHL but I just love this little guy and I think he can do it all on the ice. I also think he is one of those guys who will be able to play with pretty much any talented player and click with them. Most likely a 70 point all-around player, especially in NJ but you never know.

Carter I am really impressed with. I don't buy that he is a sniper-only anymore than I believed the reports tagging Dany Heatley a sniper-only going as far as one year after he was drafted. I'm not sure he can truly realize his potential and I do think the Joe Thornton comparison is a bit silly but I can't help liking his skills and the great ways he uses his range when he's on a roll and confident. Very unliely he'll reach 100. Not sure he'll be a true PF.

Bernier I don't really see as a power forward at all. He's more of a strong offensive player. That's what I consider Iginla to be too, or Jagr. Except Iginla has more grit. I don't think he will ever be close to 100. Not even sure he'll reach 70.

Horton could be a true power forward. As you said players like Bertuzzi, Tkachuk, Leclair have never reached 100. But they all came within 4 points.

I disagree with your view on power forwards. I think you're seeing a trend where none exists. The reason few power forwards reach 100 points is simply because there are very, very few PF and there are very, very few 100 point scorers in the NHL. It's a numbers game and has very little to do with their abilities.

Compare this with the following:

-I doubt Zhervdev can ever reach 100 points. Very few Russians ever do.
-I doubt Gaborik will reach 100 points. Very few speedsters do.

There is a truth to these, but only in the numbers game. Fact is there are yearly around 5 (some would say 10 but I'm extremely picky) PFs in the game. Five. And we've reached the point where we're happy when we have a *single* 100 point-getter in the NHL. PFs are yearly doing very well offensively compared with other types.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Vlad The Impaler said:
Parise I disagree with you. I think he is a versatile forward. I see a risk that he won't be as effective in the NHL but I just love this little guy and I think he can do it all on the ice. I also think he is one of those guys who will be able to play with pretty much any talented player and click with them. Most likely a 70 point all-around player, especially in NJ but you never know.

Parise reminds me of a more skilled version of Mike York. Despite York's smallish stature he is extremely effective at the NHL level because he knows the game so well, and I think Parise will be the same way.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
Parise reminds me of a more skilled version of Mike York. Despite York's smallish stature he is extremely effective at the NHL level because he knows the game so well, and I think Parise will be the same way.

While I would normally agree here, i'm going to have to say that Parise doesn't have as good of playmaking skills as Mike York. Parise reminds me more of a Mike Comrie than anything. He's going to be that pseudo-1st line center that pots 30 goals a season. In my opinion, he's not going to be a superstar in this league. I think the 15 or so GMs that passed on him saw the exact same thing. Just my two cents though.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
THE NEXT ONE #87 said:
Yeah, but the only ****in thing is that Zherdev is also a goalscorer like Nash... The Jackets should trade Zherdev and maybe a future first round draft pick for Staal.

Nash and Staal in the same team....

That would be horrid value for Columbus. The difference between Staal and Zherdev on the draft boards is worth maybe a 2nd round pick at most, not a lottery pick which is what any Colmubus 1st rounder will be for the near future.

Traitor8

Nov 3, 2003
Visit site
Vincent Lecavalier
Jason Spezza
Eric Staal
Dany Heatley
Brad Richards
Marion Gaborik
Nikolai Zherdev
----- Nash(Colombus)
ANDREI KOSTSITSYN
Ilya Kovalchuk
Alexander Ovechkin
Sidney Crosby
Rotislav Olesz

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Caniacforever said:
While I would normally agree here, i'm going to have to say that Parise doesn't have as good of playmaking skills as Mike York. Parise reminds me more of a Mike Comrie than anything. He's going to be that pseudo-1st line center that pots 30 goals a season. In my opinion, he's not going to be a superstar in this league. I think the 15 or so GMs that passed on him saw the exact same thing. Just my two cents though.

Thanks for the feedback, although I think Parise's playmaking ability is top notch, he just so happens to know how to finish as well. The main reason why I think teams passed up on his is his size, which is surprising because I don't think he'll be *that* small by the time he makes the NHL. Besides, I tend to trust the New Jersey scouting staff, and their trading up to get him speaks volumes.

eSabre

Dec 14, 2002
Nashville, TN
3rdmanin.wordpress.com
go pierre hedin said:
Hoooooommmmmmmeeeeerrrrrrr!
I can't believe it took two posts for someone to say that... read the rest of these and I ain't the only one to say that Vanek's got a shot at being a future 100-point guy. Who knows what the league could turn into... and even if it doesn't change scoring much, there will always be guys hitting 100. I'd be saying Vanek even if the Sabres didn't draft him, I like his skill so much.

Take that for what you will.

TK79

Jul 5, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
This thread is confusing. It's on the prospect forum. Then you ask about "future prospects" (what the hell is that?) and then you want people to avoid naming certain players, including Kovalchuk.

Kovalchuk is burning the NHL. I think he's not a prospect anymore.

Prospects who *could* (crystal ball time) have it in them to break 100 are probably few but *even fewer* will actually do it unless the NHL changes drastically. It's a combination of talent, growth and environment.

Here are a couple of guys, and some names could surprise. I am leaving out ANY NHLer who isn't a prospect anymore:

Steve Bernier
Jeff Carter
Sydney Crosby
Nathan Horton
Zach Parise
Eric Staal
Thomas Vanek
Nicholai Zherdev

That's eight prospects, three already in the league. If THREE of those names actually hit 100 points, I'd be very happy. And I hope nobody is going to take this list of eight names as being the BEST prospects out there. I only named those who impressed me enough offensively to see a possibility to reach 100.

People I haven't seen but are hyped around here:

Whatshisname Malkin
Robert Nilsson
Rostislav Olesz
Alex Ovechkin
Whatever hot Euro is hyped that day of the week

I think only 5 guys max in any given year can score 100.But it is safe to say that at least Carter,Bernier, Parise, Vanek and Nilsson will never score 100/season.60 or 70 is probably the maximum for these guys.

EquabaleAce

Nov 8, 2003
Calgary
TK79 said:
I think only 5 guys max in any given year can score 100.But it is safe to say that at least Carter,Bernier, Parise, Vanek and Nilsson will never score 100/season.60 or 70 is probably the maximum for these guys.
60 to 70 looks a little harsh considering some of those prospects are bluechips. If I'm not mistaken Zach Parise is leading the WJC in points after just two games compared to many wh have played three. Carter is way up there as well.

Marchy79

Mar 1, 2003
Barrie
Visit site
Komisarek8 said:
Kostsitsyn can do circles around Richards, O'sullivan, Carter and Parise

Yup :handclap:

This kid had scouts in fits, many said he was the most talented player in last year's draft. Also, playing for Belarus, does not fare well in the point department (i.e. Belarus will never tag a team for 10 goals, they simply do not have that many NHL'ers in their system)

By all accounts though... this kid is VERY slick with the puck and has a very great trait that many 100 pointers have... That is he can move the puck at top speed whichever way he pleases, and has a gamebreaking ability that only the top players have...

I realize this can be considered a "homer" pick, but I do honestly believe this kid has what it takes to bag 100 Points someday.

Habs4Life

Aug 29, 2003
Saint John, NB
MissionHockey said:
Sorry for the confusion I meant players in general that haven't hit the mark before. Also, Parise? I've heard 1st line C but a 100 point player? Isn't that a bit of a stretch.

If Zach Parise was 6'2 220 lbs he would of been chosen in the top 5.. but since he is fairly a small guy he is usually way under rated...
I think he has the potential to get 100 pts

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
How bout Stanislav Chistov? It may be a homer pick, but on a line with a guy who's been compared to Mike Bossy(Joffrey Lupul), who also came close to scoring a goal-per-game in his Junior years, and Ryan Getzlaf, who has a great shot, he should be able to pile on the assists. Also, if he improves his own shot and just tries to score without the dipity-doo, he could bag a couple as well.

Highly unlikely, but there's still the chance.

Aver33

Apr 26, 2002
Rabid Ranger said:
What makes you think Nash could be 100 point scorer? IMO, he's not well rounded enough offensively to do that. 50 goals? Sure, but he'd have to add another dimension to his game, to get 100 points.

What makes me think he could be a 100 point producer? Well he's already putting up great numbers for a 19 year old with lackluster linemates. He's already a helluva player and he still has ALOT of time to get better and better.

I have also seen Nash his whole junior career and the boy can setup plays and create chances out of nothing.

CSKA

May 5, 2003
Visit site
Aver33 said:
Well he's already putting up great numbers for a 19 year old with lackluster linemates.

One question : Kovalchuk had what ? 22 A in his FIRST year ? But hey most of the canadien fans said he is sooooooooooooo one dimensionally ! Thats make me so sick , why should it be so different for Nash ? He got what ? 4 A ! and already - 9 ? But hey i know bad linemates ....................

He must prove that ! 50 Goals yes but 100 Points NO for now !

Last edited:

Aver33

Apr 26, 2002
Personally I have never said that Kovalchuk is one dimensional. This "canadien" is of the opinion that Kovalchuk could very well get 100 points sometime in his career. The title of this topic was Future 100 point producers. An opinion thread. I just threw my 2 cents in. Nash isn't a 100 point producer at this point so obviously it's "no for now."

Don't being so quick to group other individual posters and turn it into Nationalism, for christ sake. People and posters will have opinions and different ones at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad