future 100 point producers

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by Missionhockey, Dec 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Missionhockey

Missionhockey Registered User

Student
    Home Page:
    I hear a lot of people say X prospect is going to produce 80-90 points. Well who will be a future prospect to score 100? Aviod the obvious answers (kovalchuk, crosby, ovechkin)

2. IkeaMonkey*

IkeaMonkey* Guest

I'd say its far too early to tell.The amount of ice time, development, system and other things are factors.I'd say Gaborik is a 100 point scorer on any team except a trap playing team. If Ovechkin/Crosby gets thrown in a trap system, I believe the numbers will be deflated as well.

3. leafaholix*

leafaholix* Guest

Not sure if there's anyone that'll hit 100.

The scoring's gone down over the last 10 years.

Possibly Zherdev.

4. Missionhockey

Student
    Home Page:
    There are a lot of teams in the NHL that play the trap. Not just NJ and Minnesota.

5. IkeaMonkey*

IkeaMonkey* Guest

Ummmmm? :dunno:

6. Vagrant

Vagrant The Czech Condor

Home Page:
    Well in my opinion you have to look at ratios on this and what type of player is most likely to yield a hundred points. For right now, we're not likely to see a player score 70-30-100 unless it's Kovalchuk. The more likely scenario for 100 points now is about the 35-65-100 type of scorers. This means that the player you're probably talking about is going to be an elite playmaker with the ability to also score 30 goals. Here are the few guys that I think could develop into that type of player.

Vincent Lecavalier
    Jason Spezza
    Eric Staal
    Dany Heatley
    Brad Richards
    Alex Tanguay
    Marion Gaborik

Now I know all these players aren't considered "prospects" but i'd say they are the players who probably have the most potential to reach 100 points in the near future.

7. Aver33

Aver33 Registered User

Nash

8. Missionhockey

Student
    Home Page:
    Tanguay? Thats an odd choice but I guess it depends on how well he develops.

9. IkeaMonkey*

IkeaMonkey* Guest

I'd chalk Datsyuk onto that list.Kid's got a helluva wrister and can keep the puck on a string.

10. eSabre

eSabre Registered User

Student
    Home Page:
    Datsyuk
    Nash
    Vanek

11. Aaron Vickers

Aaron Vickers FC Hockey

Managing Editor, FC Hockey
    Home Page:
    He'll have to have the help of Zherdev finishing...

12. leafaholix*

leafaholix* Guest

Hoooooommmmmmmeeeeerrrrrrr!

13. habsfansam

habsfansam Registered User

how about a guy like alex frolov, or marian hossa... they should both hit the 40goal mark consistently, and both can pass... 50/50 seasons aren't unimagineable for either.

Alex tanguay is a good one... he can bulge the twine and he utilizes his linemates very well. it'll be interesting to see how things go when he isn't playing with forsberg (though he's been good while forsberg has been injured).

What about a guy like Horton... if he develops like Joe Thornton then he's a 100pt guy too.

What about Malkin... he apparently passes very effectively and can score to boot. He's a big strong kid with a big upside to match.

Anyone think that Bouwmeester could hit that kind of output if that team develops well? I doubt it, but it'd be fun to have a D-man near the top in scoring again.

Personally i wish the habs had a guy in their system, but i'm not sure they have the super-star 100pt guy in their system... possibilities are Perezhogin, Kastsitsyn... or Ribiero if he continues to improve and the habs upgrade their current wingers (this is not particularly realistic, but with his vision and great wingers he could easily hit 70assists).

Any number of teams have highly skilled guys that can hit that plateau IF they develop beyond expectations... i guess we'll see.

14. Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina Registered User

All I know is that Pittsburgh has none. :cry:

15. Vagrant

Vagrant The Czech Condor

Home Page:
    The inclusion of Tanguay had a lot to do with the assistance of his supporting cast. I think that Alex is Brad Richards version 2 with more finishing ability and a kung-** grip. Despite early inconsistancies in his numbers, he's going to level out and become a point per game player eventually as far as i'm concerned.

Guys like Zherdev, Nash, Horton, and Vanek won't ever eclipse the 100 point mark if you ask me. All of those players are goal scorers first and foremost and I think that you'll be less likely to see a player like that score 100 points. Even the best pure goal scorer of our time in Pavel Bure couldn't manage 100 points out of his last 3 50-goal seasons in this low scoring trap hockey age. And keep in mind, he was the best around during those seasons as far as goal scoring was concerned.

16. Big Kov

Big Kov Registered User

Home Page:
    alex Stojanov.

haha jk. that was rough.

17. Epsilon

Epsilon #basta

Kovalchuk and Heatley (if he recovers completely) are the most likely guys IMO, because not only are they both good shooters and passers, but they can also feed off of each other to run up big numbers.

18. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Registered User

This thread is confusing. It's on the prospect forum. Then you ask about "future prospects" (what the hell is that?) and then you want people to avoid naming certain players, including Kovalchuk.

Kovalchuk is burning the NHL. I think he's not a prospect anymore.

Prospects who *could* (crystal ball time) have it in them to break 100 are probably few but *even fewer* will actually do it unless the NHL changes drastically. It's a combination of talent, growth and environment.

Here are a couple of guys, and some names could surprise. I am leaving out ANY NHLer who isn't a prospect anymore:

Steve Bernier
    Jeff Carter
    Sydney Crosby
    Nathan Horton
    Zach Parise
    Eric Staal
    Thomas Vanek
    Nicholai Zherdev

That's eight prospects, three already in the league. If THREE of those names actually hit 100 points, I'd be very happy. And I hope nobody is going to take this list of eight names as being the BEST prospects out there. I only named those who impressed me enough offensively to see a possibility to reach 100.

People I haven't seen but are hyped around here:

Whatshisname Malkin
    Robert Nilsson
    Rostislav Olesz
    Alex Ovechkin
    Whatever hot Euro is hyped that day of the week

19. THE NEXT ONE #87

THE NEXT ONE #87 Registered User

Home Page:
    Kovalchuk and Heatley (if heatley recovers well)
    Nash (if he gets better teammates with scoring abilities)
    Staal
    Ovechkin
    Crosby

Probably Olesz and Malkin (they've the potential to score 100pts in a season).

I think that Crosby and probably Ovechkin will be able to score over than 120pts.

20. Vagrant

Vagrant The Czech Condor

Home Page:
    Really Vlad? These names surprise me the most. Parise, Vanek, and Carter are all shoot first players. When was the last time you saw a player that shoots as much as these guys do eclipse the 100 point mark?

Bernier, Carter, and Horton are of the powerforwardish mold. Once again, Powerfowards don't very often eclipse the 100 point mark either. What gives?

21. Team_Spirit

Team_Spirit #FireBergevin

Home Page:
    Heatley , as soon as he play a full season . (82game , next year or the year after if lock out ) . He's gonna be hungry , focused and surronded by a better team . Sakic could put up another great year . Kovalchuk and Thorton could do it too .

I have few favourites who could do it in 2-4 years from now : Zherdev , Frolov , Datsyuk . In the pure prospect world i like Kastitsyn , Vanek , Oslez and Malkin... i also like Crosby potential .

Last edited: Dec 28, 2003
  22. friction

friction 5-14-6-1

homer possibly, but Ales Hemsky is a pass-first type player with a helluva shot, if he could get an actual scorer like most of the above mentioned, both of them could eclipse it fairly easily IMO.

23. The Rage

The Rage Registered User

Student
    Home Page:
    Some of Hemskey's passes are just sick; he really seems to be the type of player that CaniacForever is describing. However, he's not really that hyped outside Edmonton, so I wonder if it's just homerism that leads me and you to believe that he could score 100 points. However, I don't see anyone in the Oiler's system who is a sniper, maybe Rita or Mikhnov, but I think Hemskey will need that type of player to truly rack up the points. Regardless, he'll most likely be atleast a point per game player, and I'm really glad he's on our team.

24. Missionhockey

Student
    Home Page:
    Sorry for the confusion I meant players in general that haven't hit the mark before. Also, Parise? I've heard 1st line C but a 100 point player? Isn't that a bit of a stretch.

25. Hoffer

Hoffer Registered User

Nash, doesn't look like it

Rick Nash is a great goal scorer, but the rest of his game lacks. He needs to improve his two-way hockey, and if you check out his stats the assists are hardly where there goals are. Hopefully Zherdev will compliment him, like Heatley and Kovalchuk do to each other.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.