Further US Expansion for the CHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafaholix*

Canadian Hockey League.

I think there are enough American teams.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
go pierre hedin said:
Canadian Hockey League.

The northern American states treat hockey the same as us Canadians. So far all the US Franchises have beena huge hit. There are almost 60 teams in the CHL and about 8 or 9 are from the States.

Baron Von Shark

Feb 21, 2003
CA
Visit site
go pierre hedin said:
Canadian Hockey League.

Do the majority of CHL fans share this view? I've love if you guys expanded on your thoughts. Is it bad for the league, and specifically why? Is it a positive sign of growth? And so on...

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Baron Von Shark said:
Do the majority of CHL fans share this view? I've love if you guys expanded on your thoughts. Is it bad for the league, and specifically why? Is it a positive sign of growth? And so on...

Well i like a couple teams from the US. It helps promote CHL hockey in the States, which in turn helps attract some more americans. If you noticed the Q just recently started attracting US players like Hennessey and Sharrow because of the talk of US expansion. Now that the Q has Lewiston, Maine there should be an influx of talented US players wanting to play junior instead of NCAA.

leafaholix*

It's the Canadian Hockey League, I think 8 or 9 American teams are plenty to attract Americans to the game.

There's plenty of American programs where players have developed for decades.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
go pierre hedin said:
It's the Canadian Hockey League, I think 8 or 9 American teams are plenty to attract Americans to the game.

There's plenty of American programs where players have developed for decades.

Does it harm the game to have teams in the US?

leafaholix*

La-La-Laprise said:
Does it harm the game to have teams in the US?
Absolutely not.
But it's the Canadian Hockey League... not the North American Junior Hockey League.
There are plenty of American teams.

evman150*

The new Everett team this year was the reason Victoria couldn't get a whl expansion franchise. Normally I don't mind a few American teams, but when it takes away a spot of a Canadian team, ya I get mad. Especially when the american team takes the spot away from my home town.

:madfire:

Baron Von Shark

Feb 21, 2003
CA
Visit site
evman150 said:
The new Everett team this year was the reason Victoria couldn't get a whl expansion franchise. Normally I don't mind a few American teams, but when it takes away a spot of a Canadian team, ya I get mad. Especially when the american team takes the spot away from my home town.

:madfire:
Was there a reason given as to why Everett was awarded the franchise and not Victoria?

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
go pierre hedin said:
Absolutely not.
But it's the Canadian Hockey League... not the North American Junior Hockey League.
There are plenty of American teams.

So why are there Canadian teams in the American Hockey League?
Better yet, why does the National Hockey League consist of multiple nations?

evman150*

Baron Von Shark said:
Was there a reason given as to why Everett was awarded the franchise and not Victoria?

It wasn't a "Victoria vs Everett" thing. Victoria was about 6 months/a year late with it's application for a franchise and the spot it would have taken up in the western conference was taken by everett. Sort of a you snooze you lose thing.

But the fact remains Victoria's spot was taken by an american team. And that doesn't sit well with me.

leafaholix*

The AHL is not a U.S. league... it's a North American league.

You don't see U.S.H.L. teams in Canada.

Hockeycrazed07

Jun 15, 2002
Buena Vista, VA
www.hockeycrazed.com
go pierre hedin said:

So if I understand what you're saying, we should throw the baby out with the bathwater? What about those Canadians living on US soil? Do they not get the same hockey because of where they live? What about Americans living in Canada that get hockey teams? Do they get hockey because of where they live?

You'd think we'd be past the "seperate but equal" thing by now, wouldn't you?

Heck, why don't we solve the whole thing by re-naming the CHL the MJHL (Major Junior Hockey League)? Would that solve it for you?

~Crazed.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Baron Von Shark said:
USA and Canada

Thank you, those were the two nations I was talking about. My point was that if it consists of more than one nation, it should be the International Hockey League, based on GPH's logic.

Bud The Spud*

I think since it is titled the "Canadian Hockey League" it should remain that way. It would be unfortunate if Canadian teams were relocated to the US.

TMHUNH

Feb 27, 2003
NH
Visit site
go pierre hedin said:

Not right now you don't. But last time I checked the Thunder Bay Flyers (former USHL team) played in Thunder Bay, Ontario.

OHLArenaGuide

it's dot com
Dec 4, 2003
London, ON
www.ohlarenaguide.com
The OHL would like a team in New York State to take away players from the QMJHL. There was some talk a few years ago about expanding to Elmira but they got a UHL team instead. Lately the talk has been about suburban Buffalo.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
TMHUNH said:
Not right now you don't. But last time I checked the Thunder Bay Flyers (former USHL team) played in Thunder Bay, Ontario.
Oh snap!

Bruno8

Jun 14, 2002
East Coast
Visit site
CHL expansion

sec17 said:
The OHL would like a team in New York State to take away players from the QMJHL. There was some talk a few years ago about expanding to Elmira but they got a UHL team instead. Lately the talk has been about suburban Buffalo.

NY players belong to the OHL. An OHL team isn't needed in NY to keep their players away from the QMJHL. But I would like to see an OHL team
in Rochester or Syracuse.

The Q is looking to put a 2nd team in New England. It won't work in Boston with all the prep school and college hockey. There won't be enough fans to keep it afloat. More remote areas are being discussed.
I don't believe the rumour that Ray Bourque is trying to head-up a franchise is at all true.

#2FAN

Put a team in USA and they will have the top 30 picks in central scouting :)

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Bud The Spud said:
I think since it is titled the "Canadian Hockey League" it should remain that way. It would be unfortunate if Canadian teams were relocated to the US.

I can understand how you feel, but the precedent has already been set. There are several U.S. based CHL teams, and more than one which is a result of a Canadian franchise moving. That likely won't change.

Foster

Oct 15, 2003
Fredericton
When you look at the American based CHL teams the majority of them are in the WHL.

Spokane Chiefs
Tri-City Americans
Everett Silvertips
Portland Winter Hawks
Seattle Thunderbirds

That leaves 3 teams for the Q and the OHL

Saginaw Spirit
Erie Otters
Lewiston MAINEiacs

That gives a large market team to Portland and Seattle. These may not be hockey hotbeds but they must likely should be able to support a NHL team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad