Funny Berger-Burns Story

BillyD

JUST WIN BABY
Jun 23, 2009
I guess Howard Berger's appearance on HNIC during the Winter Classic went straight to his head and he's posted a bunch of funny ones on his blog, one about Rotten Ronnie was pretty good but this Pat Burns one really cracked me up

... I still laugh uproariously when recalling an incident after Game 4 of the Leafs-Detroit playoff series in 1993. It involved my mentor, the late Toronto Star columnist Jim Proudfoot.

Leafs coach Pat Burns was fielding post-game questions in the media lounge at Maple Leaf Gardens when there was a sudden lull in the conversation. At that moment, a loud crackly fart emanated from the back-corner of the room. Burns quickly snapped his head in the direction of the blast and Proudfoot was standing with a crooked smile on his face. Other reporters discreetly shuffled to the opposite side of the lounge, fearing an after-shock.

Two days later, Jim and I were in Detroit for Game 5 of the series and were riding the downtown monorail (known as the “People Mover”) to Joe Louis Arena. Still mortified about his gas attack, Jim was shaking his head. “Gee, Howard,” he lamented, “I tried to time it so there’d be enough noise to drown out the sound. But, just as I reached the point of ‘no return’, everyone suddenly stopped talking.”

Moments after arriving at the arena, Proudfoot and I walked past the corridor leading to the visitors’ dressing room. As the Leaf players warmed up for the pivotal match of the opening-round series, Burns was pacing back and forth, seemingly oblivious to anything else. We offered him a cursory wave and continued on to the media room for dinner.

Not three seconds later, we heard the Maple Leafs coach bellow, “No farting in the press box!”

Anyway this story, the Wilson one and another funny one about George Armstrong and Gilmour are all here

www.bergerbytes.ca/my-hockey-tales-reader-discretion-advised/

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Ignore the debbie downer above me, that's hilarious.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I'm 7 going on 25 and all those stories are actually brilliantly funny. Its little things like that in life that keep you young from all the seriousness we have to deal with. All the stories were a great read, good relief from one's potentially stressful day.

Yes, even when I'm old and senile, I have realized a fart will always make me laugh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad