Confirmed with Link: Funky Buddha Tap Room opening at BB&T Center

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
I wouldn’t say there’s anything *wrong* with it. Just what you’ll find with beer people is they’re usually one of two things: a wheat person or a hop person.

These two components aren’t mutually exclusive. Grains (perhaps not just wheat) and hops make up most beers. But I tend to notice most people focus on one or the other with their preferred styles.

Socially speaking I would venture to say IPAs are all the craze. They’re characterized by their hoppiness and thereby typically usually very bitter. To me, I personally don’t think it’s the bitterness I don’t like, but rather that it usually tastes like sticking a bar of soap in your mouth. Anyways, these beers are pretty easy to make and, in my opinion, you’ll find that they all also taste the same. I’m not a beer snob but I would say most beer snobs would be fans of IPAs.

IPAs tend to be more popular in the US and UK, whereas between Germany/Belgium/NL/France, you find more wheatier beers.

I realize you might know all of this as I’ve just gone on a long winded response that went a little further than your actual question. But yes. Bar of soap. All the same. That’s what’s wrong with IPAs.

This guy beers

Reactions: Dr Beinfest

JayX

Mar 7, 2013
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I'm in the "shame it's an IPA" crowd for this particular beer, but Funky definitely please me with the fact that Floridian is available so easily here and they always have a few guest beers on at their Oakland Park bar that I'm into. Miss that Belgian Tripel, it was delicious. Will probably sink at least one of the collaboration beers just to show appreciation, though!

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I like IPAs because I liked English bitters way back from my time growing up in Europe. So I for one am very glad there are different IPAs available, and microbrews in general.

For me the hoppiness is a nice slightly bitter flavor, I really enjoy it. At the same time, I like the pilsners and lagers too. But not the heavy on the wheat beers, the weissbiers.

I don’t like highly alcoholic beers, and to me that’s a key differentiator. Anything upwards of 7% and I’d rather switch to a 13% wine and enjoy that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad