TSN: Fun little Marner game

Heisen

Mar 27, 2019
I'd take them all over Marner, because Mitch is a piss puke excuse for a human being that listens to daddy despite the fact that he's a grown f***ing adult. No one like that is ever going to out work another.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
Marner OR Brayden point- Marner's offensive upside is the main reason why...aside from that they are practically equal
Marner OR Nikita Kucherov- Age...if they were the same age showing the skill levels they are now I would say Kucherov
Marner OR Patrik Laine- BAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAH not even a question
Marner OR David Pastrnak- Pasta has a much better two way game than Marner does...plus he's a sniper
Marner OR Leon Draisaitl- The ability to drive his own line makes the difference here for me
Marner OR Mark Scheifele-Great 2 way game...gotta take Scheifele
Marner OR Sasha barkov- 2 way C not even a question
Marner OR Elias Pettersson -I think Petterssen regresses hard this year as teams learn how to deal with him

Marner OR Evgeny Kuznetsov- Proven winner, super skilled...and a C
Marner OR Mathew Barzal- Easy...Barzal had a good year on a surprising Isles team...he comes back to earth this year
Marner OR Jack Eichel- Better Team guy
Marner OR Taylor Hall- You don't find scorers like that very often with that kind of speed
Marner OR Mikko Rantanen-Rantanen only broke out when he ended up supported by Landeskog and MacKinnon
Marner OR Nathan MacKinnon- I'm an east coast guy so gotta respect the guy from my area

Reactions: Eric bungay

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
i'm basing my decisions on Marner at 10+ M .....

Marner OR Brayden point
Marner OR Nikita Kucherov
Marner OR Patrik Laine
Marner OR David Pastrnak
Marner OR Leon Draisaitl
Marner OR Mark Scheifele
Marner OR Sasha barkov
Marner OR Elias Pettersson

Marner OR Evgeny Kuznetsov
Marner OR Mathew Barzal
Marner OR Jack Eichel
Marner OR Taylor Hall
Marner OR Mikko Rantanen
Marner OR Nathan MacKinnon

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Marner OR Brayden point
Marner
OR Patrik Laine
Marner OR David Pastrnak
Marner OR Leon Draisaitl
Marner
OR Mark Scheifele
Marner OR Sasha barkov
Marner
OR Elias Pettersson

Marner OR Mathew Barzal
Marner OR Jack Eichel
Marner
OR Taylor Hall
Marner OR Mikko Rantanen

I'm a Leaf and Marner fan, so I chose Marner over anybody I felt was too close to call. The ones I chose over Marner were just obvious picks.

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
Marner OR Brayden point- Marner's offensive upside is the main reason why...aside from that they are practically equal
Marner OR Nikita Kucherov- Age...if they were the same age showing the skill levels they are now I would say Kucherov
Marner OR David Pastrnak- Pasta has a much better two way game than Marner does...plus he's a sniper
Marner OR Leon Draisaitl- The ability to drive his own line makes the difference here for me
Marner OR Elias Pettersson -I think Petterssen regresses hard this year as teams learn how to deal with him

Marner OR Mathew Barzal- Easy...Barzal had a good year on a surprising Isles team...he comes back to earth this year
Marner OR Taylor Hall- You don't find scorers like that very often with that kind of speed
Marner OR Mikko Rantanen-Rantanen only broke out when he ended up supported by Landeskog and MacKinnon
Marner OR Nathan MacKinnon- I'm an east coast guy so gotta respect the guy from my area

Marner over Kucherov
Then
Kusnetsov over Marner
????

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
I don't think Marner's 94 points actually reflected how dominant he was

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
Why do people think that Marner is better than Drai exactly? I think that's homerism, tbh.
Possibly, but it's not outrageous to think that. Drai has played shotgun to McDavid, the best player in the league, and while Tavares is great, he's no Mcdavid. Marner had about 10 less points than Drai did this year, and I'm faiarly certain that would be switched if Marner played with McDavid instead.

8 of those extra points Drai had came on the powerplay. I think the leafs powerplay far underperformed last year and will normalize next year and you will see an increase in Marner's PP points.

Finally, Marner is a year younger than Drai and has been improving every year. Its possible Marner matches Drai's 105 points next year without even playing with McDavid.

Clearly Drai has the goalscoring and size advantage, but I think its reasonable to bet on Marner still given the above. I also don't consider Drai being a center an advantage over Marner, because if he did play center, I doubt he would be putting up near the same numbers.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Laine over Marner? Ouff. Which also means you think Laine is better than Pettersson
Error on my part lol, didn't mean to pick Laine. He's a great buy-low stock in the NHL since a lot of folks around the league are down on him but I wouldn't take him over Marner lol (not to say he can't overtake him in the coming years).

Reactions: Leafs at Knight

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
If we pretend a salary cap does not exist, it sort of defeat the realistic scenario of picking one over another.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If we pretend a salary cap does not exist, it sort of defeat the realistic scenario of picking one over another.
Agreed.
Also with Matthews and Tavares here that eliminates a large portion of the list as the Leafs are set up the middle.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I like: Kucherov, Scheifele, Barkov, Pettersson, MacKinnon over Marner.

I like Marner over: Laine, Pastrnak, Kuznetzov, Hall, Rantanen.

I like as a group I don’t feel comfortable picking from: Marner, Point, Draisaitl, Barzal, Eichel.

Pretty much the same for me, except I'd also have Rantanen in that last group.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Marner OR Brayden point
Marner OR Patrik Laine
Marner OR David Pastrnak
Marner OR Leon Draisaitl (tie)
Marner OR Mark Scheifele
Marner OR Sasha barkov

Marner OR Mathew Barzal
Marner OR Jack Eichel
Marner OR Taylor Hall
Marner OR Mikko Rantanen

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
With no regard to team composition and therefore needs, strictly player vs player I'd take Marner over everyone except Draisaitl, Barkov and MacKinnon...I would have also taken Kucherov and Scheifele except for the 4 year age differences...

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
With no regard to team composition and therefore needs, strictly player vs player I'd take Marner over everyone except Draisaitl, Barkov and MacKinnon...I would have also taken Kucherov and Scheifele except for the 4 year age differences...

you aren't supposed to worry about age here though? its about this season

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017

"BAHAHAHAHAHAH not even a question," is what you wrote when picking Marner over Laine, it should've been what you wrote while picking Kucherov over Marner but you failed to answer the question correctly. And some of these explanations are just baffling, picking Scheifele because he plays a great 2 way game? Paging Jets fans. Over Eichel because he's a better team guy? We can't know that but if we want to take a shot in the dark based on limited intel lets look at the current contract dispute. "Rantanen only broke out when he ended up with Landeskog and Mackinnon," ignoring that MacK went from 53 points to 97 when paired with Rantanen, and as we well know from Marner/JT linemates benefit from eachother. Everyone picking Marner over Drai is very homerish too, at best its a toss up, again look at what Tavares did for Mitch, Drai is no leech.

And drum roll please.... to circle back you pick Marner over Kucherov because of age but you pick Kuznetsov and Hall over him who are both older and substantially worse than Kucherov.

Raymondo316

Nov 11, 2007
Maidstone England
Marner OR Brayden Point
Marner OR Patrik Laine
Marner OR David Pastrnak
Marner OR Leon Draisaitl
Marner OR Mark Scheifele
Marner OR Sasha Barkov

Marner
OR Evgeny Kuznetsov
Marner OR Mathew Barzal
Marner OR Jack Eichel
Marner OR Taylor Hall
Marner OR Mikko Rantanen

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
"BAHAHAHAHAHAH not even a question," is what you wrote when picking Marner over Laine, it should've been what you wrote while picking Kucherov over Marner but you failed to answer the question correctly. And some of these explanations are just baffling, picking Scheifele because he plays a great 2 way game? Paging Jets fans. Over Eichel because he's a better team guy? We can't know that but if we want to take a shot in the dark based on limited intel lets look at the current contract dispute. "Rantanen only broke out when he ended up with Landeskog and Mackinnon," ignoring that MacK went from 53 points to 97 when paired with Rantanen, and as we well know from Marner/JT linemates benefit from eachother. Everyone picking Marner over Drai is very homerish too, at best its a toss up, again look at what Tavares did for Mitch, Drai is no leech.

And drum roll please.... to circle back you pick Marner over Kucherov because of age but you pick Kuznetsov and Hall over him who are both older and substantially worse than Kucherov.

mehhhhh
it's an opinion, whether you like the opinion or not lol...and yes I will take Kuznetsov or Hall over Marner, personal preference...Love Marner he's my top 3 Leafs but an opinion is an opinion luckily I am not a GM so it doesn't really matter what I say...I like the way Kuznetsov plays the game, same as Taylor Hall
Drai can't drive his own line...he's no scrub but Marner DRIVES his line with possession
Eichel is a whiny prima donna in my eyes as such I wouldn't want him as the face of my franchise lol
Scheifele is less flash than Marner and I appreciate his 2 way game...

I can continue to explain my choices if you really want me to but I don't think you want that lol

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
I don't think Marner's 94 points actually reflected how dominant he was

He had a tough last 2-3 weeks, at least point-wise. At one point in early March I'm pretty sure he was on pace to match Gilmour's 95 assist team record, but he fell off heavily at that point.

From October through February, he was arguably the best playmaker in the league.

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
This is to hard, i can't do it. 7 meaningful games each year for 3 years isn't enough sample size to project Marner. Marner's been our guy the past 3 playoffs, hes been utilized the most out of all of our forwards and how far has that taken us? Unless Tavares hits another gear next year in the playoffs, i can't see Marner carrying the team solely by play making. Marner needs to turn into a goal scorer or hes going to become way to predictable the more popular he gets.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Marner OR Brayden point
Marner OR Patrik Laine
Marner OR David Pastrnak
Marner OR Leon Draisaitl
Marner OR Mark Scheifele
Marner OR Sasha barkov

Marner OR Mathew Barzal
Marner OR Jack Eichel
Marner OR Taylor Hall
Marner OR Mikko Rantanen

ELITE!!

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Might as well just rank all these guys in order:

Kucherov
MacKinnon
Barkov
Draisaitl
Hall
Marner
Point
Eichel
Rantanen
Kuznetsov
Barzal
Pettersson
Pastrnak
Laine

Have at me :popcorn:

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
Not at all this is who would you rather have this game . Lets just say your drafting right now at spot 5 hypothetical number at ome of the 2 players are available you all ready know their potential who are you picking . XFunRuinerX

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
I like the way Kuznetsov plays the game
if we didn't know their stats I bet lots of people would have him ranked over kucherov. But there have been players like this in the past who wow you with their talent but just don't put up points that quite reflect it. I always figured players like this envision hockey in their head as deking and making people look foolish but then that's where their hockey brain and creativity kind of ends and they just pass to whoever happens to be sorta open or shoot from wherever they happen to be. Basically they don't think that one extra step that would turn them into huge point getters.

Reactions: Jared Henderson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad