Equipment: Full visor versus cage

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
I am thinking about switching from a cage to a full visor for protection from spray.

Does anyone play with a full visor? What's it like? Does it take some time to get used to it?

I'm doing the same thing. I started 20 years ago with a shield/cage combo. switched to a cage probably 15 years ago. trying out a full shield recently. so far I've found it to be fine. no fogging on the shield. I am worried about scratching though. that's partly why I changed 15 years ago. I got tired of trying to buff out stick marks.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
I'm doing the same thing. I started 20 years ago with a shield/cage combo. switched to a cage probably 15 years ago. trying out a full shield recently. so far I've found it to be fine. no fogging on the shield. I am worried about scratching though. that's partly why I changed 15 years ago. I got tired of trying to buff out stick marks.

Appreciate the feedback. I feel like it's going to be harder to breathe with a full visor...any truth to that?

And it fogging up on me is a worry. I've read about different things you can do to prevent that.

Rookie109

Mar 31, 2014
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I wore a full bubble for a season and I found it: hotter, harder to hear, high maintenance (anti-fog spray + pillow case for travel), and it did fog up / scratch eventually. I also found it harder to find the puck at my feet compared to my cage.

Do yourself a favor, get a titanium cage like the Bauer Re-Akt like I did. It's better in every way possible and low maintenance (light as hell and flat bars mean awesome visibility). I think CCM also makes a titanium cage. You can't go wrong with a really good premium cage, mine has paid for itself with 10+ pucks / sticks to it with barely a scratch.

Best of luck.

Reactions: BruinDust

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
I'm confused, sounds like you're a goalie?

No not a goalie.

I meant "spray" as in germs from fellow players. I am worried about playing with a cage and breathing in the sweat spray (water particles) of others. I am not a germaphobe .. just want to be really careful during these times.

I agree about the cage.. I would much rather it compared to a full visor (bubble). I just want to be careful.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
No not a goalie.

I meant "spray" as in germs from fellow players. I am worried about playing with a cage and breathing in the sweat spray (water particles) of others. I am not a germaphobe .. just want to be really careful during these times.

I agree about the cage.. I would much rather it compared to a full visor (bubble). I just want to be careful.
Do you honestly feel it would be that much safer to wear a full visor over a cage or half visor? The full visor still has a plastic grill (cage) over the mouth area, so it's not really blocking much more if anything. Players are still breathing heavily and sweating profusely no matter what face protection you're wearing.

If you are really concerned (which is totally fair) you should maybe try wearing a drifit type mask while playing?

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
Do you honestly feel it would be that much safer to wear a full visor over a cage or half visor? The full visor still has a plastic grill (cage) over the mouth area, so it's not really blocking much more if anything. Players are still breathing heavily and sweating profusely no matter what face protection you're wearing.

If you are really concerned (which is totally fair) you should maybe try wearing a drifit type mask while playing?

there's no doubt that a full visor is "safer" than a cage but you're right, there are still places on the full visor where the respiratory droplets could get through.
Bauer is coming out with a "splash guard" for their visor later this month but until then I've rigged up my own using a half visor that came off of a helmet I bought from our local ECHL team. it's not perfect but it worked better than I thought.

Attachments

• FullVisor.JPG
    FullVisor.JPG
    361.8 KB · Views: 15

Rookie109

Mar 31, 2014
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
there's no doubt that a full visor is "safer" than a cage but you're right, there are still places on the full visor where the respiratory droplets could get through.
Bauer is coming out with a "splash guard" for their visor later this month but until then I've rigged up my own using a half visor that came off of a helmet I bought from our local ECHL team. it's not perfect but it worked better than I thought.

Wow, that's gonna be hot as hell and fog up like crazy. But whatever makes you feel safer I guess.

When I wore a full bubble, I actually used a drill to make more holes, to get a bit more ventilation in there.

Last edited:

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
Wow, that's gonna be hot as hell and fog up like crazy. But whatever makes you feel safer I guess.

When I wore a full bubble, I actually used a drill to make more holes, to get a bit more ventilation in there.

it actually wasn't hot at all and I tested it out playing Summer hockey in GA. the fogging was the bigger issue but only the lower shield fogged. I'm going to try treating it since the lower shield was a shield I took off of a helmet bought from my local ECHL team and likely had no fog treatment left on it.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I wore a full bubble for a season and I found it: hotter, harder to hear, high maintenance (anti-fog spray + pillow case for travel), and it did fog up / scratch eventually. I also found it harder to find the puck at my feet compared to my cage.

Do yourself a favor, get a titanium cage like the Bauer Re-Akt like I did. It's better in every way possible and low maintenance (light as hell and flat bars mean awesome visibility). I think CCM also makes a titanium cage. You can't go wrong with a really good premium cage, mine has paid for itself with 10+ pucks / sticks to it with barely a scratch.

Best of luck.

I pick one of these up today. It is super-light. Visibility doesn't seem to be an issue. I started in a new league this year that allows slap-shots so it felt like now is the time. Not only is it allowed, the team we played first used big clappers all the time, I swear they did more slap shots than wrist shots. I play D and these guys didn't hesitate to fire one-timers from the slot either OV style. Even their snappers were hard. The biggest adjustment for me will be the floating chin-guard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad