Fuelled by diminishing passion? What softer demand for Winnipeg Jets tickets means for True North

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
This is a non issue...inflammatory reporting.
Seats are 90% SOLD...not given away no inflated attendance figures.
You have probably the smartest business owner with a chipman, and the richest owner with the Freakin 3rd Baron of Fleet David Thomson.
Ticket Prices are high Not $8 with a free slice of Pizza.
A 90% sold Arena (with a capacity of 15,321) with a arena at full price is a better business model than a arena with a capacity of 19,000 at 60% with 25% giveaways any day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jedub

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
I don't trust the attendance figures of many events. For example, there have been "sold out" concerts with the building being half empty. They blame scalpers, but scalpers would not make money if they had thousands of unsold tickets. I have heard of cases where the team or event provider would sell tickets to ticket brokers at discounted rates with the condition that they would not sell below a certain price.

Recently, I booked tickets to a concert before it sold out and then there were immediately tickets below face value available on the resale market. This does not make sense as why would a scalper want to lose money seconds after purchasing the tickets.

In the NHL, I am suspicious of markets such as Detroit that have many empty seats, despite being nearly "sold out". Winnipeg is probably a market were they actually sold most of the tickets.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I think the love for hockey will remain, but everytime an nhler directly or indirectly craps over the city, I think it slowly erodes that passion that the fans have for the nhl.

It will be interesting to see what happens when this problem occurs in conjunction with the jets hitting the low point of their competitive cycle. They are not quite there yet.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I find the biggest problem with TNSE is their loyalty, like they're too loyal. They should've gone after Vigneault or Quenneville when they were available, would've been very good fits. I mean Maurice is somewhat or the problem, but from closed doors it's also Wheeler.

The attendance really isn't that bad in hindsight, the other problem is the prices keep getting jacked up and Winnipeggers can't all afford Jets tickets. If tickets are cheaper, we'd have no problem selling out. But what I also recommend is lowering concession prices because I think people will be encouraged to buy them more, I find it's cheaper to eat at The Keg, Moxie's, etc.

But with that being said it's a hassle to get to games because Winnipeg is a poorly planned city. Now I had my season tickets since 2011 and was a Moose Season Ticket holder prior to that. Before the Jets returned it was so much easier getting to games, plus the Jets hype made you not care so much about the hassle it was to get to games. Now it's about going to downtown where the traffic is brutal on one-way streets, finding parking that's cheap whereas it'd be a much longer walk or you find more expensive parking. But luckily for me, my office is about a fifteen-minute walk to BMTSP and my employer pays for my parking which is heated and underground, so I either do extra work for the next day or just go out for supper with whomever I'm going to the game with or meet them at my office.

Though I find this season I've been spending lots more time at the lake on the weekends so, I'm currently thinking about sharing them with a family member. But selling them is never a problem for me, I do give them away to co-workers or colleagues visiting Winnipeg (my boss reimburses me for the visitors).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad