Fueled by Passion and Delusion?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Is it really the team or is it us? We have quite a few threads on how the team can get better and we should be trying to get better like 29 other NHL teams do each day but this is not another one. Do we have an unrealistic fan expectation issue? (I would do a poll if I had the talent :laugh:)

Keeping it real we have played 13 games and we are winning about half of them with our less than perfect roster........IMHO we are a decent team but we are about what our record indicates no? Currently the Jets are 5-6-2 and we have 12 points in 13 games. In the West we are in 12th spot and we have played more than other teams. If we were in the East we would be tied for 6th with Montreal (I know, I know we have played more games). Wow does the east suck so far this season. take a look at the standings:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm?season=20132014&type=CON

We get the double whammy, we have to play tougher teams more often and we also have to compete with them in the standings. Hopefully this normalizes a bit over the season but Buffalo, NYR, Philly, Florida, and the Devils are all beyond horrible so far.

To be clear I am not saying “just be happyâ€, don't try to improve, stay status quo… but...... I have never seen our board more negative. Now that you have had a chance to see some of the teams from the west is our team not living at about where our talent level dictates? Now that the honeymoon has worn off are "we" like every other Canadian NHL City and do we have an unrealistic semi delusional fan expectation issue?

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Poll added. :)

I could write several paragraphs on this subject, but I'll keep it succinct: no, I don't believe the expectations for this team are unrealistic at this point.

The expectation for the 2013-14 Jets has been to make the playoffs, and considering how close they came last season, I don't think that's unrealistic at all.

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010
I believe that there is enough talent on this team that with good coaching and goaltending there is no reason they can't sneak into the playoffs. I don't think it's unrealistic to expect that.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I said yes.

I don't know if i really believe that, but its possible.

We're doing exactly what all pundits said we would (though, I disagree with the pundits not only because A]they said our team sucked, but b] they are historically slow to "new news". In MSM's mind it seems what was bad will always be bad, and they never give the benefit of the doubt to changed up/young teams).

With how the teams played the last 4 games, my negativity is gone. We've looked good. Each game has been within reach. The team has bought about a month of good will from me.

If we let up or haven't improved much after November, i'll probably get back to negativity town, but I'm enjoying hockey again over these last 4 games. I could not have said the same for most of October.

I'm still frustrated with Noel, his line juggling, and the lack of consistency, but they team is looking better.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
All great points, ps.

For me, my opinion is currently standing in that while our roster still has it's holes (still an unproductive no. 2 center, could use a top 4 defenceman on the left side), I just feel we're lacking an identity that since the team arrived Noel has yet been able to instill. You don't need all the talent, and you can still have some roster holes, but there are some things players can control and in my opinion we've got a good enough group that I'd like to see seeing more as a "team". While I understand it's on the players, it's also on Noel as head coach to instill and lead from the get-go here and I just don't see it.

Like I said last week, and it's just my opinion, but I am now personally firmly in the "it's time for Noel to go" and until I am proven wrong, which by all means I am open to, I likely won't change my mind. My opinion is I personally think I've seen enough to believe this drive with Noel has too much of the same scenery. Time for a different direction.

I am by no means a negative poster, and I generally always view things with optimism first and foremost until given reason to doubt it. But right now, that's just where I am at.

At the end of the day I still view this roster as a playoff contender, I see enough pieces there, and I think they need a coach to help bring it all together. We've seen this from this group before. We've seen the losing skids, we've seen the bounce back play but it is never sustained. We've seen the players get pissed off. We've seen the group say all the right things, etc. It just seems always the same. Sure the last 4 games have looked better, but I don't expect it to continue.

Maybe it's the coach, maybe a player or two need changed. I believe both are realistic options at this point.

Last edited:

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I'm not sure it should be delusion. Our team costs us 97.5% of the cap. So if money spent is closely correlated to talent on the team, I think we have a right to expect this to be at least a playoff contender.

Unless you think we haven't received value for money with our cap hit. Shouldn't we expect that? Or do we have to overpay in Winnipeg?

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
Noel has to go. Chevy has done his job and somewhat improved this team for three straight years (with the most significant additions this summer), yet Noel hasn't improved the team whatsoever during his tenure.

The writing for Noel to be fired is on the wall.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I'm with Hank. This roster IMHO has the components necessary to make the playoffs. We aren't getting the secondary scoring (again) that looked so promising in those first couple games. Coaching really seems like its an issue and of course the goaltending is a whole thing too but we expect this team to make the post season and after almost making it and improving the roster we should.

Where I am somewhat disconnected with posters here who are upset right now is I think the Jets have played the way I've wanted them to (for the most part) over the past 4 games, so I am happy with the team and our direction right now.

We still make stupid mistakes and dips in play that are costing us, but for the most part I see a more passionate, aggressively forechecking, harder working team. They have been far more fun to watch the past 4 games, and if this play continues, they will I believe start winning more.

The $64,000 question for me is will this team make the playoffs despite sub par goaltending, and bizarre coaching?

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Poll added. :)

I could write several paragraphs on this subject, but I'll keep it succinct: no, I don't believe the expectations for this team are unrealistic at this point.

The expectation for the 2013-14 Jets has been to make the playoffs, and considering how close they came last season, I don't think that's unrealistic at all.

I would 100% agree with you if we were still in the East.

Thanks for the poll!!

theamazingchris

Jan 18, 2013
Winnipeg
I can't speak for the rest of the board, but I certainly don't expect playoffs this year. I expect we'll be close, much like last year. We replaced some whipping boys with some shiny new toys, but I don't see significant improvement yet. So my expectations are certainly lukewarm. :laugh: I think expecting playoffs is overreaching. Our depth D, depth F and goaltending are not good enough. When at least one of those shows significant improvement, I'll call playoffs, but not until then.

EDIT: Gahhhhh. I voted "no" but I meant "yes". Oh well. Do the math, plebs! :P

Last edited:

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Voted Yes. We are a good team but not a great team. Mediocre in my eyes which will eventually grow into an above average team and playoff worthy. JMO

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
We're optimistic yes, but we are capable (on paper at least) of making the playoffs.

We're still a bubble team, though. We need someone (whether it's Buff, Bogo, Kane, Ladd) to step up and put the team on their back.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I'm with Hank. This roster IMHO has the components necessary to make the playoffs. We aren't getting the secondary scoring (again) that looked so promising in those first couple games. Coaching really seems like its an issue and of course the goaltending is a whole thing too but we expect this team to make the post season and after almost making it and improving the roster we should.

Where I am somewhat disconnected with posters here who are upset right now is I think the Jets have played the way I've wanted them to (for the most part) over the past 4 games, so I am happy with the team and our direction right now.

We still make stupid mistakes and dips in play that are costing us, but for the most part I see a more passionate, aggressively forechecking, harder working team. They have been far more fun to watch the past 4 games, and if this play continues, they will I believe start winning more.

The $64,000 question for me is will this team make the playoffs despite sub par goaltending, and bizarre coaching?

And I would add lack of talent down the middle at this point compared to the other teams in the West.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Any team can make the playoffs. Even bad ones sometimes.

I think this roster is strong enough to potentially make it, although not strong enough to definitively make it.

I think that's realistic. I don't think I'm negative. I hope I'm not negative. If I am you all have permission to call me out :D

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
16/30 teams make the playoffs. Maybe a couple are great.

Ok well let me reword my thoughts.

We are a good team in my eyes but not good enough to compete for a playoff spot with our division change. We have some very key pieces which will improve the team in the next few years. I do not see us making the playoffs for at least another two seasons. (if they exceed my expectiations I will be a very very very very happy person but I will not be dissapointed if we do not as we are still growing).

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Any team can make the playoffs. Even bad ones sometimes.

I think this roster is strong enough to potentially make it, although not strong enough to definitively make it.

I think that's realistic. I don't think I'm negative. I hope I'm not negative. If I am you all have permission to call me out :D

What's negative is everyone attacking if someone points out some flaw. We are here to discuss and analyze. I don't want to be insulted because I happen to notice Pavelec hasn't been a very good NHL starter.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Jets have been a bubble team the last two (three even) years. The fans hope, even expect, the team to get into the playoffs, but no one is talking about winning the division. I don't see that as being unrealistic.

Unrealistic is living in Edmonton and each year hearing that "this is the year" the bottom-feeding Oilers turn it around.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
I'm trying not to get worked up about it too much; but reading these boards has become nearly anathema to retaining any sort of relaxed attitude or being able to discuss the Jets non-confrontationally for me.

When I bought my jersey I didn't get a name or number on it. Actually it looks pretty empty without it. But if I'm following this team for the rest of my life, that's not a bad thing. This team will probably change wholesale a half dozen times before I'm done on this planet. There's going to be cycles of competitiveness, and non-competitiveness, that are going to last 4-5 years at a time. Maybe more even. I'm encouraged by the fact that the Hawks, Pens, Bruins, Kings, Capitals were all dumpster teams...we're talking .400 teams...at some point in the last 10 years. Look at Colorado and Toronto. On the other hand, look at the Sabres...it only seems like a few years ago that they were considered legitimate contenders. Now the fire sale is on. Or Jersey. Was this team really just in the cup finals a year and a half ago?

But yeah our expectations are high. Because we feel we pay a lot for tickets, and we want this whole NHL experience to live up to the hype. We want it all for our buck. Nothing too wrong with that.

But IMHO this team just isn't a contender right now. It's on the bubble. That bubble can pop in a good way, or a bad way. Be prepared for either, and just deal with it. This team will look totally different 6 years from now...and different again 6 years after that. Try to get some enjoyment out of every iteration of the Jets, good or bad.

TLDR version: This construct of the Jets sucks, but it won't always suck, it'll be better once you learn to deal with it.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

I agree with this as well. We have the talent on the team to perform better than we are as a team currently.

I've enjoyed the past few games immensely. Even after a loss, I'm still happily entertained. I think this is the type of team we are built for, fast offensive hockey and trying to make them play differently just isn't going to work.

There are definite holes that need to be filled and some smarter decisions should be made on the part of the coaching staff, but over all I'm entertained and optimistic and think we absolutely have the roster to sneak into the playoffs.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba

yup thats about where i come in.

Over the last four games, i'm not so concerned anymore. We're still getting sub par goal tending and bizarre coaching, but we look better as a team. It all comes down to wether the personnell can play well enough to overcome these two things over an 82 game season.

Unfortunately when we start to suck, those two things stick out so strongly its really hard to not just latch onto them.

Either way, if they keep playing the way they have, and if for just two freaking games noel can leave his lines set, i'll have no issues with this team.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I think people are just tired of not seeing much progress. A lot of the same things that we'd blow off in Year 1 as "well, they're not a great team - let's give them some time..." are now "IT'S BEEN 3 YEARS FERGODSAKE - QUIT IT WITH THE 5-MAN BOX!"

It's a bit like we're treading water - Oduya, Hainsey, Antro, Burmi, Wellwood, Stapleton out / Clitsome, Jokinen, Trouba, Scheifele, Seto, Frolik in...and we're still pretty much in the same boat.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Byfuglien for a legit, big 2C?

Make it happen, Chevy.

Make it happen, Chevy. :D

126288458_crop_650x440.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->