FSOhio production is TERRIBLE! (All CBJ broadcast kvetching here)

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
he wouldn't tell me as much, but I suspect it was a Rimer call...I talked to Dan the other day when he told me it was coming down...sucks for that to happen to someone I consider a friend...

I was originally told that is was Billy on the outs...so I was stunned to find out that Dan was gone...

I think it should have been Bill on the outs. Kamal was good. Davidge was slick and cliché, but not in a good way. By the last ten games of the season, my family was predicting Jody take Bill's place. Sorry to hear Dan Kamal is out.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
he wouldn't tell me as much, but I suspect it was a Rimer call...I talked to Dan the other day when he told me it was coming down...sucks for that to happen to someone I consider a friend...

I was originally told that is was Billy on the outs...so I was stunned to find out that Dan was gone...

Wow. Too bad. Do you know why Rimer made the call?

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Wow. Too bad. Do you know why Rimer made the call?

probably never will...no one will talk about stuff like that...but Rimer has so much power with the FO...

Dan was someone they should have kept around just from a "what if something happens to Bob or Rimer? Dan could step into both roles quite easily if one of them got sick...I don't feel Billy could handle it alone...

eh, I'm biased on this one...knew Dan from his time with the Thrashers (albeit not like I got to know him here)...he genuinely liked it here and enjoyed what he did...

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
probably never will...no one will talk about stuff like that...but Rimer has so much power with the FO...

Dan was someone they should have kept around just from a "what if something happens to Bob or Rimer? Dan could step into both roles quite easily if one of them got sick...I don't feel Billy could handle it alone...

eh, I'm biased on this one...knew Dan from his time with the Thrashers (albeit not like I got to know him here)...he genuinely liked it here and enjoyed what he did...

I liked him too. I actually like our broadcast team. Why couldn't Billy join McElligott in the radio? He was a better voice for radio IMO.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
I liked him too. I actually like our broadcast team. Why couldn't Billy join McElligott in the radio? He was a better voice for radio IMO.

easy answer is we had too many ppl on the broadcast roster...Geiss does Reds stuff so he wasn't going anywhere...but there was Rimer, Davidge, Jody, Dan, Geiss, Maetz...way too many ppl...something had to give...

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
easy answer is we had too many ppl on the broadcast roster...Geiss does Reds stuff so he wasn't going anywhere...but there was Rimer, Davidge, Jody, Dan, Geiss, Maetz...way too many ppl...something had to give...

True. Hope Dan gets another job, he was good.

I wish I was as plugged in as you are. Must be interesting

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Being 1200 miles away and a GameCenter live viewer, I didn't see much of the studio stuff so I have no real feeling about Kamel. But Davidge is terrible so I imagine politics played a big part in who was the guy out. Other thna that glad to have Jody join the team. I enjoyed his "inside the glass" comments a lot.

Doug19

Oct 14, 2008
Columbus, OH
I'm offended a little (offended not the right word) that Billy is staying over Dan. Dan was awesome in studio and much better to listen to than mr. davidge.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Was never a big Kamal fan, but sucks to see a guy lose his job. Best of luck to him.

Over the moon that Jody is replacing Davidge.

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I wonder if Rimer is past his prime. I've got nothing against him, but he seemed to have trouble following the puck and also missed on the action as well at times.

thebus2288*

but Rimer has so much power with the FO...

That sucks. I think Rimer is terrible and holds everybody else on the broadcast back. I'd be happy with Gare and Davidge with Shelley doing the PBP. At least they know what's happening on the ice. I don't get how a guy that's been around a sport so long doesn't seem to know what's going on half the time.

Halfboard

Nov 30, 2005
Really happy for Jody............he's was great last year..........can't for the life of me understand how Rimer survives...............classic case of someone falling ass backwards into good fortune.......................:shakehead

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
That sucks. I think Rimer is terrible and holds everybody else on the broadcast back. I'd be happy with Gare and Davidge with Shelley doing the PBP. At least they know what's happening on the ice. I don't get how a guy that's been around a sport so long doesn't seem to know what's going on half the time.

i liked Gare, but (also speaking from my own opinions, nothing I know) I think he was gone b/c he liked to booze a bit too much...I don't think it affected his job, but i know quite a few ppl that said he liked that a lot as well...

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I wonder if Rimer is past his prime. I've got nothing against him, but he seemed to have trouble following the puck and also missed on the action as well at times.

He's far past his prime, he forgets players names, anyone with a 7 in their number is Dubi. He gets far too excited for nothing plays and not excited enough for most goals. And I tire of hearing the over the top praise for the other teams, Davidge was very guilty of that last point, too. It will be nice to have Jody full time, he was fantastic.

WashedUp

Mar 28, 2014
Excited to see Shelley in the booth, he wasn't much of a hockey player but he knows the game and is very good as a color guy. Rimer on the other hand is far past his prime, we need someone more exciting in there!

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
i'm not looking forward to Jody in the booth...i enjoyed him between the benches...oh well...what's done is done...

IHeartZherdev*

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 3m

Shelley moving up to TV booth, taking Davidge's spot next to Rimer. Davidge moves to TV studio analyst. Dan Kamal not coming back.

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/blogs/puck-rakers/2014/05/cbj-shuffles-broadcasters.html

Glad Kamal is gone, but sucks that Davidge is still there but maybe this is a slow way to get him out the door after next year. Still a huge win to get him out of play by play though.

As any gamecenter user can attest, the CBJ broadcasts have always looked like middle school AV Club productions compared to other organizations. I get all the Rangers, Isles, Devils games on TV and they are on an entire other level of quality - same with other teams I've watched on Gamecenter like Sharks, Hurricanes, etc.

Not a huge Shelley fan, but can't argue with giving bigger responsibility with a young, rising broadcasting star who the fanbase and city like and feel a connection to; something that certainly doesn't exist with Kamal/Davidge/Rimer. Prospal would have been great had things not ended on such bad terms...wonder if any other former players would be able to join the team...Maybe Modin, or I heard Cassels was interested..

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I believe it's a temporary thing with Davidge, he is suppose to be retiring after next season and (likely) moving south? Maybe his thinking has changed but that is what I was told in March. But who knows?

Mar 1, 2002
He gets far too excited for nothing plays and not excited enough for most goals.

I hate when he does that. As someone with a sports broadcasting degree, having to sit through CBJ games on mute is so frustrating. I enjoy listening to a quality crew adding context to what I see. When I listen to the Stars or Sharks games, I get so much enjoyment listening to the broadcasts.

I rarely think this....but I can do a better job than Rimer. I never went into broadcasting (my one big regret in life)....but I know I can.

Yes, I am an idiot for thinking this. But I am right :)

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Interesting shake up. One down, one to go. Unfortunately it will take another decade with Rimer.

Jody seemed to do fairly well last season and on top of being pretty popular around here, I like where that is heading.

I did like some of BD's analysis, but he missed a lot of obvious stuff. It was strange.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
My dream broadcast team is Buccigross & Shelley (hey, Keith Jones fills in on Flyers broadcasts, right?). Ship Rimer out. But I guess if he sticks around, it's time to develop a drinking game for his calls (e.g. drink every time you hear "all-important _____." Take a shot when his voice climbs an octave or increases by 20 decibels for no reason).

Thought Kamal was a good dude. He wasn't afraid to call a spade a spade either. Ultimately, maybe he gets a bit of the Jim Day treatment.

Don't really care about radio as I barely listen to games on radio - but Bobby Mac by himself? Ehhhh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->