Speculation: Front Office

Should Rutherford Stay or Go?

• Total voters

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I think the Pens are just being cheap by keeping JR and Sully. The team knows they will not make any money by ticket sales next year, so they don’t want to have to pay millions to fired ex-employees. JR and Sully aren’t getting fired strictly for financial reasons, which is a bit Bob Nutting-like.

Maybe the team will take this time to develop the former Mellon arena site. It’s a crime that this team has pissed away 10 years with that site.

Reactions: EightyOne

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Yohe: All roads seem to lead to Jason Botterill's return to the Penguins

Now all of the people who whined about how JR fell off after Botterill left and how Botterill was the mastermind can be happy :laugh:

Not at all shocking. And I don't even necessarily think it's a terrible move. Buffalo was an epic fail for Botterill, but after getting kicked in the teeth, I bet he learned a lot and is a hell of a lot better than he was when he left. He also knows how the organization works, and is familiar with everything so he doesn't have to learn and can just get to work scouting or doing whatever the hell he does as AGM

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I think the Pens are just being cheap by keeping JR and Sully. The team knows they will not make any money by ticket sales next year, so they don’t want to have to pay millions to fired ex-employees. JR and Sully aren’t getting fired strictly for financial reasons, which is a bit Bob Nutting-like.

Maybe the team will take this time to develop the former Mellon arena site. It’s a crime that this team has pissed away 10 years with that site.

Burkle's net worth is estimated at US$ 2 billion as of February 12, 2018. He had been ranked No. 633 on Forbes' list of "The Richest People on The Planet 2014."[2]

Ronald Burkle - Wikipedia

Lust for Life

Jun 30, 2018
Not at all shocking. And I don't even necessarily think it's a terrible move. Buffalo was an epic fail for Botterill, but after getting kicked in the teeth, I bet he learned a lot and is a hell of a lot better than he was when he left. He also knows how the organization works, and is familiar with everything so he doesn't have to learn and can just get to work scouting or doing whatever the hell he does as AGM

I'm also curious if he had a complete free reign in Buffalo or if ownership interfered. Genuinely curious, as I think that's a factor that might sometimes be overlooked when appraising a GM.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I don't mind in theory either, but that's mostly because the Penguins don't really have a next in line to JR at this point. I'm fine with Botterill coming back as the assistant GM because I'm not sold on Karmanos becoming a GM yet.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm also curious if he had a complete free reign in Buffalo or if ownership interfered. Genuinely curious, as I think that's a factor that might sometimes be overlooked when appraising a GM.

Media reports have them interfering with both the O'Reilly trade and the Skinner contract.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Botterill was the hottest GM prospect when he was here, and he had tons of success during his tenure as AGM. I'd certainly bring him back with open arms.

Reactions: DRAGO 18

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
When you've got a loose cannon like JR, it couldn't hurt to reign him in a little. Just someone to put things into his ear like "Maybe don't sign JMFJ for 5 years".

Reactions: Andy99 and KIRK

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Botterill was the hottest GM prospect when he was here, and he had tons of success during his tenure as AGM. I'd certainly bring him back with open arms.
What was he responsible for while he was here? What did you specifically like about him? He straight up failed in Buffalo; I don’t really want another reject working for the team.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
What was he responsible for while he was here? What did you specifically like about him? He straight up failed in Buffalo; I don’t really want another reject working for the team.
Sounds like he was in charge of the salary cup when he was here. Just because he failed as a GM doesn't mean he will be a bad AGM. He thrived in this role for years. I can't think of a single person who is more qualified to be AGM than someone who already thrived in this role.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'm not sure Botts was the genius some make him out to be, but it's pretty conspicuous that JR started to lose any and all purpose or direction when Botts left. Maybe he was just the good angel on JR's shoulder or something, or they are guys who are better as a team as opposed to solo--who knows?

Either way, can't get much worse.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
I predict the AGM will be an older man that's been around a long time ..... sorry, can't mention a specific name but it's not Chiarelli

Lust for Life

Jun 30, 2018
The Penguins have relieved Assistant General Manager Jason Karmanos of his duties. During this interim period, Director of Hockey Research, Sam Ventura, will assume Karmanos’ duties and Erik Heasley, Manager of Hockey Operations, has been named Interim GM of the
@WBSPenguins

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The Penguins have relieved Assistant General Manager Jason Karmanos of his duties. During this interim period, Director of Hockey Research, Sam Ventura, will assume Karmanos’ duties and Erik Heasley, Manager of Hockey Operations, has been named Interim GM of the
@WBSPenguins

Well, that is annoying. Karmanos was a real good mind on this team from what I've heard.

Also, the second tweet after that is really concerning to me. Sounds like Rutherford is attempting to fashion the front office into a bunch of yes men or he's trying to bring someone else in and ownership doesn't want to pay both Karmanos and another candidate.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad