Speculation: Front Office

Should Rutherford Stay or Go?

• Total voters

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
People can twist, dodge and rationalize all they want but this is simply the team kicking the can down the road.

The assistants are just the coach's droogies, basically. It all goes back to him. This is the team not wanting to make a tough decision while still being all serious-faced and calling it a tough decision.

But again it doesn't much matter to me at this point. Too late in the game to get all bent outta shape, ya know?

I'm trying to take the approach of just appreciating the Cups we got to see, just appreciate being lucky enough to witness players like Sid and Geno play for our organization, and not worry to much about the fact we're probably going to be a "make the playoffs but lose in the first round every year" type team from now on.

Obviously I'll talk about it on here and bitch and moan about roster decisions because it's still fun to discuss hockey, but I'm going to try and not be too bothered when what we expect to happen, happens.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm trying to take the approach of just appreciating the Cups we got to see, just appreciate being lucky enough to witness players like Sid and Geno play for our organization, and not worry to much about the fact we're probably going to be a "make the playoffs but lose in the first round every year" type team from now on.

Obviously I'll talk about it on here and bitch and moan about roster decisions because it's still fun to discuss hockey, but I'm going to try and not be too bothered when what we expect to happen, happens.

Absolutely. I really was serious when I said that second of B2B Cups really was just the topper for me and everything else is gravy, after. Good thing, too! Since they seem content to wallow around in mediocrity... again.

But yeah I mean... that doesn't mean I'm not gonna be a miserable bastard and still complain about how dumb they are when they do dumb stuff.

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'd love for the Pens to steal Benoit Groulx as one of the assistants.

Could be an amazing head coach when Sullivan is fired.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

You know mate I felt the same when 1993 happened and was just like you know what at least I got to see back 2 back wins live. Then 1993-2004 happened where bad spending caught up, players left, one died alive, almost lost the team several times...

So pardon me, no offense to you, but I don't give a f*** if they won 2 recently. It doesn't excuse the bullshit behind the bench for me and the GM that thinks it'll be bad to fire him based on that and his clueless usage.

The coach has clashed with several players that the GM had to move because he backed that horse so hard he had to. Now we have some interesting talent with the youth and I don't want this dumb piece of shit to f*** that up and I don't want that senile f***ing idiot to wait too long to make that bench move.

Reactions: Rave7215

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Whoever we get as assistants, I hope at least one of those guys has the potential to take over HC duties if/when Sully is fired.

I also hope that guy is good with player development and trusting youth. If/when Sully's fired, it'll probably be due to the team being so far out of the playoffs (or having been eliminated early) that planning for the future, coaching-wise, will make a ton of sense.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Whoever we get as assistants, I hope at least one of those guys has the potential to take over HC duties if/when Sully is fired.

I also hope that guy is good with player development and trusting youth. If/when Sully's fired, it'll probably be due to the team being so far out of the playoffs (or having been eliminated early) that planning for the future, coaching-wise, will make a ton of sense.

Or or OR... they could hire Rob Scuderi, Matt Cullen and oh, I dunno... Austin Lemieux probably needs an internship, yeah?

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

I've been reading a lot about potentials and for me I love Todd Nelson's work with offence but I am starting to lean heavily to Benoit Groulx who many dub a coaching genius. Last 4+ seasons he's been the guy in Syracuse for the Bolts.

Who is he?
"I'm very competitive. A team's got to play fast. A team's got to play (as) a second-effort hockey club. A team's got to be responsible in the three zones. That's what we want to see. I like to believe that I'm a well-rounded coach. I like to have my players play like that on the ice. I want us to be connected on the ice. I want us to be a tough team to play against.

"And, I think the fans are going to love our team here. I think the players are excited to be part of this organization. When I talk to the people here in Syracuse, I think they're excited. They look forward to the season. We are excited to coach. I think the table is set. I think we're going to be ready and we're going to have a good season.''

His relationship with his assistants

Groulx met with three assistants who remain in the organization — Trent Cull, Jeff Halpern and goalie coach David Alexander — in Tampa during the summer.

"I tried to get to know them, if we could work together, if they were a good fit for me and if I was a good fit for them. I think we got on the same page quickly,'' Groulx said. "My comment to (Tampa Bay assistant general manager) Julien BriseBois was what I look for in an assistant coach is a good person, a good teacher, and a loyal coach. So when I met with them I saw their passion right away. You can tell that they're good people. Obviously, when you're talking hockey with them you know right away that they're knowledgeable, they like to teach, they care about the players.

"So I told Julien after a week, I said, 'You know what?' The vibe is good. I think it's what I need as a coaching staff. And, here we go. We decided to work together. What I like in our coaching staff is we have coaches that are super, super organized. They are very good with the computer. So everyone's got a task, and we just want to make sure that we're going to Tampa and we feel that we're ready. I think, as a coach, the first thing you've got to do, you've got to be prepared. We are.''
New Syracuse Crunch coach Benoit Groulx: 'The fans are going to love our team here'

His coaching stats.

460-293-18-59
Groulx has worked 13 total seasons as a head coach in the QMJHL with the Hull/Gatineau Olympiques, posting a career record of 460-293-18-59. He led his teams to league championships in 2003, 2004 and 2008, earning QMJHL Coach of the Year honors for the 2003-04 season while coaching the Olympiques.
Ben Groulx - Head Coach - Staff Directory - Syracuse Crunch

Also look at the guys that played for him that are in the NHL.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
I wouldn't hate Cullen, to be fair. I would rather Scuderi not be the guy coaching guys like Marino though. :laugh:

Cullen puts us in the same situation we had with Gonchar in ways. He’s respected and a more extroverted communicator but the main issue is his family doesn’t want to live here.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Get the band back together!!!

God I'm going to hate this team so much if they go for a retread like that. The only worse option that I can think of is Cullen.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Okay, and now some actual news:

This is interesting because Leach is a guy I've had an eye on for a few years. Leach makes a lot of sense because he was an assistant with Sullivan in WBS and then took over as head coach when Sullivan was promoted.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

This is interesting because Leach is a guy I've had an eye on for a few years. Leach makes a lot of sense because he was an assistant with Sullivan in WBS and then took over as head coach when Sullivan was promoted.

No thanks...we need someone who will not be subservient to Sullivan and call him on his shit...I’d prefer someone who hasn’t worked under him or with the Pens organization before...a fresh set of eyes is best

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I want nothing to do with Reirden.

The Caps had the 17th best power play this season. Plus, Reirden has underperformed for two seasons. We already have a coach that has massively underperformed for two years, we don’t need another.

Hard pass

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Why does Sid get so attached (allegedly) to such mediocre coaches and players? :laugh:

Dude is like a Michelin-starred chef who only eats chicken McNuggets when he's at work.

Surely the simplest explanation is they're not that mediocre at their jobs compared to the alternatives? :P

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

sovietsanta87

Jan 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA

This. This 1000x. I would love to see Sid and Geno get a fourth cup (and tie gretzky) but most of all i just want to appreciate the back 9 of their careers. I understand the disappointment we've felt over the last three years but I think the gnashing of teeth over every move by Rutherford is a bit much.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

I seen the Caps have entered the chat and looking to add him as well. What would he be in charge of?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I seen the Caps have entered the chat and looking to add him as well. What would he be in charge of?

Dman in his pro career, and I assume Sully looked after WBS forwards and let his assistant do D, so I'd assume the blueline.

Reactions: 66-30-33

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Who needs stinking coaches!

Get Kessel back.

Put Martha Stewart behind the bench babysitting, keeping peace and whipping up batches of hot dogs and borscht to combat the hissy fits between Geno and the fatman.

PP fixed.

Or.... Murdock bribing B.A Baracus after tricking him to fly with Borscht.

It's kinda like the A-team where Hannibal Smith (Sid), B.A. Baracus (Geno) and Face (Letang) meet Murdock (Kessel).

Kessel loves to fly.... He's cra...zy.:silly:

aUhFt36.gif
dYM92fX.gif

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Who needs stinking coaches!

Get Kessel back.

Put Martha Stewart behind the bench babysitting, keeping peace and whipping up batches of hot dogs and borscht to combat the hissy fits between Geno and the fatman.

PP fixed.

Or.... Murdock bribing B.A Baracus after tricking him to fly with Borscht.

It's kinda like the A-team where Hannibal Smith (Sid), B.A. Baracus (Geno) and Face (Letang) meet Murdock (Kessel).

Kessel loves to fly.... He's cra...zy.:silly:

Kessel for JJ? Ultimate troll trade.

Seriously if he'd agree to play 4th line minutes at ES (like 3-4/night) I'd do it.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
So any news for us on potential hires? any word on what Leach wants to do? maybe he would be a good hire for coaching the D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->