News Article: From worst to first, ranking how each NHL team performs at the draft

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Here's @cudmorecolin's Scouting Staff Sizes - Anaheim does it on a shoestring. Jets are 7th in league. When the plan is "Draft & Develop" I guess it makes sense to have a big scouting staff.

I believe the Thrashers had 12 scouts when TNSE purchased the franchise (those 12 still managed to draft Scheifele and Lowry though). I'm not sure what other teams had in terms scouting staffs at that time. 12 was considered pretty small, IIRC. Would be tied with Anaheim for 2nd last on this chart.

DNEhfDXV4AAfQD1.png
Thrashers had 7 amateur scouts in 2010-11.

Jets retained most of them, and doubled the number of amateur scouts overall.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Rakell has had 2 straight 30 goal seasons
He's a very nice piece, but the franchise is still defined by Perry and Getzlaf. I'm not sure Rakell drives a franchise by himself.

Rakell has spent more than 50% of ice-time with both Perry and Getzlaf over the past two seasons, and hasn't played on any line combination for more than 50 minutes that didn't include Getzlaf or Perry.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
He's a very nice piece, but the franchise is still defined by Perry and Getzlaf. I'm not sure Rakell drives a franchise by himself.

Perry has faded quite a bit. He often gets put on the third or fourth line Getzlaf is still their man though

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I mean, if he comes into the NHL and lights up the league as a #2-4 d-man, we'll be surprised, but no one would be surprised if he is a nice above average bottom pairing guy. If that's your floor in the first round, you're doing pretty well. Jets have hit the 5-15 picks way out of the park.

I'm sure it's compared in this article, but most teams don't hit on those the way the Jets do.

7-Scheif (#1 Centre)
9-Trouba (1st pairing D-Man)
9-Ehlers (First line winger)
13-Morrissey (1st pairing D-Man)

Throw in Connor at 17, and the Jets can knock those mid round picks out of the park.

That is my hope for Stanley. I will still be surprised if he makes that. I expect him to be given plenty of rope so he may get his 200 games in but my expectation for him is more like a below avg #7 than an above avg #5-6.

He is still very young and has time but he may find himself in the ECHL next year.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Thrashers had 7 amateur scouts in 2010-11.

Jets retained most of them, and doubled the number of amateur scouts overall.
It looks like Nashville has only 7 amateur scouts - which seems crazy. Jets have 13 amateur scouts according to that chart but the number fluctuates up and down a bit as guys come and go.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
"Why does Journalism suck?"

"Also I refuse to pay for journalism."

A week ago, I finally got the scrip to the Athletic after many missed articles and plenty of why would i pay for this moments.

absolutely excellent money spent. Especially with the 40% to 50% deals that can be found.

Reactions: Gm0ney

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->