From soft to rugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

MmmBacon

Dec 2, 2004
Every year it seems like there's a soft prospect with the tag, "If he'd use his size and develop a more physical game, he could be a …" power forward, dominant defenseman, etc.

Does anybody have any good examples of this happening? I'm asking because I can think of exactly zero, although I suspect there are some.

IMO, that type of physical aggressiveness is something a player either has or doesn't, especially with the big guys. If a player weighs 230 pounds and still hasn't figured out that he'd play better with an edge, it probably isn't part of his makeup.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I remember when Carter was drafted he was listed at 180.. and it was said that if he could get bigger he could became a Power-forward ... he wasnt really soft but it's the best example i have ...

paxtang

May 1, 2003
Harrisburg
A better example for the Flyers is D man Alexander Picard. He's a pretty big kid, at 6 2, but his knock was that he was never physical enough. This year, he's really picked up his physical game, and he leads his team in hits. It's one of the main reasons he got invited to the WJC camp. He went from a soft guy to one of the most dominat guys in the Q.

fullmetalninja

Jan 11, 2003
Chicago
Eric Daze.

Still soft as a baby's ass... but if he could stay healthy he would be a consistant 35+ goal scorer. Just an amazing release.

-fullmetalninja

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Although he was never really soft but Mattias Norstrom was drafted as a skilled puck-moving defenseman but he came into the NHL, grew a lot tougher and is now a premier shut-down defensive defenseman.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Bruce Graham has turned it up a notch. Not as much as some people would like given his size but I'm sure their will always be a critic about how physical he plays.

plaugher

May 2, 2002
Halifax, NS
Visit site
paxtang said:
A better example for the Flyers is D man Alexander Picard. He's a pretty big kid, at 6 2, but his knock was that he was never physical enough. This year, he's really picked up his physical game, and he leads his team in hits. It's one of the main reasons he got invited to the WJC camp. He went from a soft guy to one of the most dominat guys in the Q.

He was the first person that came to mind (albeit, I do get to see him play every home game).

It used to be very frustrating seeing how little he hit in his first two seasons. He had the size, and on the rare occasion that he did throw a hit, he'd absolutely destroy his target more often than not. The problem was, he only did that once every three or four games.

That year in Cape Breton must have done him good, as he has returned to Halifax playing very mean in his own end, routinely rubbing forwards out along the boards and throwing hits far more often than in the past, whilst all the while not forsaking his already strong offensive and defensive awareness.

Developing into a well-rounded potential second-pairing d-man. If only he'd shoot more.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Alexandre Picard (Defensmen). He is doing a ton more hitting. And is laying some hurt on bigger guys as well.

His slow feet and his physical play were the 2 knocks against him. He is sorting through those.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Bruce Graham has turned it up a notch. Not as much as some people would like given his size but I'm sure their will always be a critic about how physical he plays.

that's what I've heard...that he had started playing more physical before he got injured

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I dont think Graham has gotten meaner this year. He has turned it up a bit but he will need to do more.

Perhaps if he is playing at a higher level next year, like AHL or ECHL it may force him to get more physical.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Drake1588 said:
Towering Calgary Hitman Jeff Schultz could certainly use a mean streak, but doesn't seem to have it in him.
That along with hockey sense and footwork and puck skills would make him a good defenseman.

Shultz needs a lot more than just a physical game.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Corey Perry has been a lot more physical this year, lack of it was one of the knocks against him when he was drafted.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
i think there's a difference between being "mean" and being physical

you don't have to play a mean game to play physical and throw some checks

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Levitate said:
i think there's a difference between being "mean" and being physical

you don't have to play a mean game to play physical and throw some checks

It helps. Especially with "softer" players. They need to chanell the energy into checks.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Robyn Regehr was not a punishing defenseman when he entered the NHL. He has developed a more assertive physical game and added a mean streak in the last couple years. He's a good example although I don't think you would have ever called him "soft".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->