From Red Wings Flagship Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

likea

Jul 9, 2004
Fuhr86 said:
Small market teams will be making money off this deal, Especally with a dollar for dollar luxery tax at 40 million.

Take for example the Avalanche who have a payroll of 60 million, that would be 20 million over the 40 million limit. So the Avs would have to pay 20 million dollars in luxery tax on top of there 60 million dollar payroll.

So thats 20 million in the Pot, Now add the leafs, rangers, detroit, philly,dallas,and Stlouis. so thats another 120 million in luxary tax to add to the 20 million.

So with those 7 teams you have 140 million dollars and then take into account all the teams like the devils,habs and sens who have a payroll in the 45-50 million dollar range and the luxury tax pot will be around the 200 million mark.

Now if 10 teams are under the 40 million dollar luxuary tax that would be 20 million dollars going to each team. That seems like a pretty sweet deal to me.

and one franchise player

lets not forget that draft picks could come into play also

lets say at 43 million teams start to lose picks for every 1 million they go over the cap plus the luxery tax

thats a steep penalty

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
IMO draft picks is going too far, especially if there is already a hard cap at $50 mill

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Fuhr86 said:
I was assuming that the franchise tagged player would still be taxed.

Why would you assume that?

There's no point in the systemic designation if that player still counts against the cap. That was the whole point of it.

The Fuhr*

PepNCheese said:
Why would you assume that?

There's no point in the systemic designation if that player still counts against the cap. That was the whole point of it.

I assumed that because the player contributes to the team being above the 40 million dolar luxuary tax limit. The team gets to have 1 player that puts them above the 50 million dollar hard cap but the guy is still contributing to the team being above the LT. I dont see why these players would get any special privleges

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
I think this is just another crazy rumor. In the past weeks, I have seen stations trot out all kinds of stuff as to the next CBA that was nearly "a done deal". Well, all of those reports have been false so far. This wouldn't be so bad a deal, but I would say they would have to set the hard cap at 45 if all teams are allowed to exceed the deal by having an uncapped franchise player. Frankly, this "deal" looks a lot like one of the fan suggestions I read on another forum a month or two back. I mean, people can say "Bigfoot's coming in to town riding Nessie!", but I think its time not to believe everything we hear. :amazed:

Vast Ant Dioi

Jun 16, 2003
Xunantunich
thenewnhl.blogspot.com
Fuhr86 said:
I assumed that because the player contributes to the team being above the 40 million dolar luxuary tax limit. The team gets to have 1 player that puts them above the 50 million dollar hard cap but the guy is still contributing to the team being above the LT. I dont see why these players would get any special privleges

That's my assumption as well. If a team goes into this with a 67 million dollar payroll, and designates a 9 mil per year player as their franchise player, they're being taxed on 27mil of salary but they have a "legal" team in that only 58mil of it counts towards the hard cap.

If it's a dollar for dollar tax as rumored, if you're at 58 mil salary and you want to add a franchise player at 9 million that's going to cost you another 18 million in salary.

I think this will actually have a large drag effect on salaries. Paying 6 mil to add Zhamnov is one thing, but paying 12 million to add Zhamnov is qutie another.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
If the players can get this much concessions out of the owners, then I seriously doubt you will see a 1-1 dollar tax after 40 million. I also seriously doubt all of that money would go straight to the team, rather, it would go to the owners pockets - like baseball. If this proposal comes through, I'm going to be pretty pissed that I waited this long, saw hockey fall so far, only to preserve the same basic salary structure in the NHL.

50 million hard cap- pffft. Thats ridiculous. I thought this was about making player costs lower.......and creating an economic market more feasible for smaller markets...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->