TSN: From @GagnonFrancois: Habs should consider trading core players.

Slew Foots

Everything is OK
Sep 6, 2006
I think we need to go after Stamkos hard this offseason.

To make it work from a cap perspective, you'll need to "sell" some assets obviously - some can be sold at the trade deadline (cap dump), some you might be better off "selling" during the offseason (high cap players you need to trade for younger, lesser proven, lower cap players of equivalent talent level).

A lot of players can fit into these two types of players to be sold.

Price - PK - Stamkos is capable of leading the team to a cup next season. Anybody else can hypothetically be sold if the proverbial price is right.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Weise on the 4th line would be fine. Something like 1.5 million per. I just feel he's the new Prust/Moen/Darche/Kostopoulos in the way that he's a fourth liner that is constantly playing up way too high in the lineup. The 4th line "safety" blanket this organisation has always had.

Honestly, lots of teams have those guys. It's not just the Habs. Coaches love safe 4th liners across the board.

But I wouldn't get rid of a good player just because the coach overuses him.

We should just get some better wingers so that Weise stays in the bottom six where he belongs. Our right side is so weak, it's hard to fault Therrien for bringing Weise up the line up at times just because he has so few options.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Again, sure, the Habs could trade Plekanec...but not without taking back a contract

It's just not going to happen

what contending team has 6M of capspace for the next 2+ years to have Plekanec center their 3rd line??

I just don't see it...but i guess, anything is possible

I think the assumption is wrong, the list of teams and reasons to have Plekanec is longer than the list of contenders.

There is also the possibility of a 1) trade, 2) use and then 3) recycle at the draft scheme.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Honestly, lots of teams have those guys. It's not just the Habs. Coaches love safe 4th liners across the board.

But I wouldn't get rid of a good player just because the coach overuses him.

We should just get some better wingers so that Weise stays in the bottom six where he belongs. Our right side is so weak, it's hard to fault Therrien for bringing Weise up the line up at times just because he has so few options.

Agreed I'm more than fine with Weise.

We are missing 2x RW here.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I'd rather hold onto Markov and use him on a 2nd pair and move Emelin. Markov's contract is up when we will need the money most, Emelin's goes an extra year

Good point.

I just want to get some picks this year and load up. From what i've heard it's a deep draft.

And 'we build through the draft' remember. :laugh:

BigMacAttack*

Nov 15, 2015
I think we need to go after Stamkos hard this offseason.

To make it work from a cap perspective, you'll need to "sell" some assets obviously - some can be sold at the trade deadline (cap dump), some you might be better off "selling" during the offseason (high cap players you need to trade for younger, lesser proven, lower cap players of equivalent talent level).

A lot of players can fit into these two types of players to be sold.

Price - PK - Stamkos is capable of leading the team to a cup next season. Anybody else can hypothetically be sold if the proverbial price is right.

I highly doubt Stamkos would want to play for MT.

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
I'd trade DD + Minn 2nd for Atkinson. Slots in nicely at 2RW and makes the same as DD. Signed for another 2 years as well. Good for 20 goals a season.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I'd trade DD + Minn 2nd for Atkinson. Slots in nicely at 2RW and makes the same as DD. Signed for another 2 years as well. Good for 20 goals a season.

...And next year, our RW's are all 5'9.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Desharnais has one of the most secure jobs on the Habs. No other team much wants him, and at home the threat of a bigotry backlash makes a trade unlikely. No matter if we're sellers, end of the day DD will still be a top C.

Re Emelin, about half the posters want to trade our most physical defenceman? Is there a soff fetish in our fanbase? We need to add physicality not remove it.

Might as well sell Markov, a contender could use him to quarterback their PP, he deserves better than Therrien workhorsing him at him 23min/g.

BigMacAttack*

Nov 15, 2015

Another smurf :facepalm:

dj-khaled-another-one-1.jpg

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Flynn, DSP, Byron and Weise could probably fetch us a few 5th and 6th round picks

Weise might actually bring back a decent pick. I believe Winnik is comparable and he returned a 2nd and 4th last year. Weise also has a (brief) history of playing well in the playoffs.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Sell in order of importance;
Therrien
Bergevin
Gilbert
DSP
DD
Emelin

Use Picks and Prospects to get Stamkos, top priority
Move McCarron into 2RW slot with Chucky as C
Move Carr into 4RW slot
Acquire a good true 2LW. (ie; JVR, Ladd, Boedker, etc...)
Sign Markov to off ice front office position or trade him
Acquire Dman, (ie; Hamhuis, L.Schenn) to replace Markov

Pacioretty-Stamkos-Gallagher
JVR/Ladd-Galchenyuk-McCarron
Fleischmann-Eller/Plekanec-Weise
Flynn-Mitchell-Carr
Byron

Hamhuis/Beaulieu-Subban
Beaulieu/Schenn-Petry
Barberio-Pateryn

Price
Condon

Last edited:

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007

Agreed, he'd be a great pickup for this team. I've always say this team needs another Gallagher and Atkinson would fit the bill. Yeah, he's small, but you could offset that by replacing DD with a winger with some size.

Pacioretty - Pleks - Gallagher
LW upgrade - Galchenyuk - Atkinson

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Do you honestly think they would get 1sts? Markov barely looks like a NHL player likely, and Plekanec is struggling horribly. This is precisely why I hope we don't sell because we're not going to get anywhere near proper value. The only players I want moved are Eller and Gilbert. If we get a decent offer for Emelin, then him too.

If I'm any other team, I laugh at you for demanding a 1st + prospect for Markov, then counter with a 2nd. He's 37 and playing dreadful. No GM in their right mind is going to offer more than a 2nd for him.
I think we'd be lucky to get a late 1st for him.
I don't care. Could be for a 4th round pick...addition by subtraction.
We just need to move on from him. It's now abundantly clear the he's a roadblock for young talent. This was always the case but it's so blatant now. I can't wait for the day when we move on from him. I think his usage has hurt this team more than MB realizes.
We don't have much that would be attractive. Markov is the big one but I doubt the team wants to trade him.

So otherwise...Gilbert, Fleischmann and Byron feel like the obvious ones that might have value.

I'd prefer to keep Weise and try to sign him.
Plekanec is expensive but on a short term deal. He's a really good piece that I'd want on my team if i was going in for a cup run. His salary would be an issue cap wise but we could take back salary in return if it was a short term deal. He should at least garner a 1st + if we take back a contract. Or we could give him to the Rangers for free if they want to give us Vigneault... :laugh:

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Byron = Expected return 5th/6th round pick
Fleischmann = Expected return 5th/6th round pick
Weise = Expected return 3rd round/4th round pick
DSP = Expected return 4th/5th round pick
Gilbert = Expected return 3rd/4th round pick
Desharnais = Expected return 2nd/3rd round pick + not good contract

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad