TSN: From @GagnonFrancois: Habs should consider trading core players.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Look at the returns that Vermette and Timonen got last year.

They'll get value at the deadline. There's so much parity in the league that teams will look to get a leg up on their competitors. It might cause us to retain some salary, but it's worth it.

Chicago was ripped apart for those two trades. Granted, Vermette looked significantly better prior to the trade, and Timonen was acquired as an almost good will gesture. Maybe you're right, but I sincerely doubt it, especially with Markov's contract. Frankly, I don't think we necessarily need to sell. We just need to fire Therrien after this season is done.

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
You have to be realistic - Markov and Plekanec aren't going anywhere. Plekanec was recently resigned. Hard to believe they would trade him this year. Any on the off chance they were moved, significant salary is coming back. Teams these days can't afford to add 6 million to their cap without a similar amount going back the other way. Be careful what you ask for.

Realistically, I'd hope Gilbert, DD, Flynn, DSP, Weise, Byron are all offered at the TDL for picks/prospects. Hard to believe many contending teams are looking for our dregs though.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
You have to be realistic - Markov and Plekanec aren't going anywhere. Plekanec was recently resigned. Hard to believe they would trade him this year. Any on the off chance they were moved, significant salary is coming back. Teams these days can't afford to add 6 million to their cap without a similar amount going back the other way. Be careful what you ask for.

Realistically, I'd hope Gilbert, DD, Flynn, DSP, Weise, Byron are all offered at the TDL for picks/prospects. Hard to believe many contending teams are looking for our dregs though.

I'd keep Flynn, as he is adequate in his role on the 4th line.

DSP might be too.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
In order: Plekanec, Markov, Emelin, Gilbert, Eller, Desharnais, Byron

DSP is waiver fodder.
Weise only if you find out he's got high demands for a 3rd/4th liner.
Fleischmann only if some team is really interested, because he looks finished to me.
Flynn & Mitchell only if the offers are good.

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004
Can someone list all the contract statuses of the Habs at seasons end?

Who are the free agents to be?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
You don't think teams wouldn't give up 30 spots in the draft, to ensure they get a player that would help them over another team in the league they are competing with?

You underestimate the moves that GMs will make at the deadline to give them an edge to win the cup.

If Plekanec or Markov's were pending UFA's...yes

But not with 2 and 1 more years left on their deals respectively. Especially Plekanec with 2 more years at 6M.

That's a hell of a financial commitment to make for a player who's going to center your 3rd line.

There aren't any contenders who have a hole on the 2nd line that Plekanec could fill...

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

Plekanec was signed without no-trade clause, there is a reason for that.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Plekanec was signed without no-trade clause, there is a reason for that.

Again, sure, the Habs could trade Plekanec...but not without taking back a contract

It's just not going to happen

what contending team has 6M of capspace for the next 2+ years to have Plekanec center their 3rd line??

I just don't see it...but i guess, anything is possible

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
We don't have much that would be attractive. Markov is the big one but I doubt the team wants to trade him.

So otherwise...Gilbert, Fleischmann and Byron feel like the obvious ones that might have value.

I'd prefer to keep Weise and try to sign him.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
We don't have much that would be attractive. Markov is the big one but I doubt the team wants to trade him.

So otherwise...Gilbert, Fleischmann and Byron feel like the obvious ones that might have value.

I'd prefer to keep Weise and try to sign him.

Weise on the 4th line would be fine. Something like 1.5 million per. I just feel he's the new Prust/Moen/Darche/Kostopoulos in the way that he's a fourth liner that is constantly playing up way too high in the lineup. The 4th line "safety" blanket this organisation has always had.

Ginu

Feb 25, 2009
www.twitter.com
Anyone except Price, PK, Petry, Beaulieu, Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Gallagher.

Top candidates:
Plekanec
Markov
Weise
DD
Eller
Gilbert

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Desharnais #1 on my list.
We score like 1.88 goals per game.

3rd in ES scoring, only 4 points behind Pacioretty and Plekanec for the team lead.

Our team has more problems than Desharnais, regardless of our coaches overuse.

If he's addition by subtraction, we've got big problems.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->