TSN: From @GagnonFrancois: Habs should consider trading core players.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Our main core of Price, Gallagher, Pacioretty, Galchenyuk and Subban is not going anywhere.

Guys recently signed to multi-year contracts like Plekanec and Petry are not going anywhere. Also, Andrei Markov will retire a Hab.

Payers that could be traded are: Desharnais, Weise, Fleischmann, Eller, Smith-Pelly, Beaulieu, Emelin, Gilbert, Scrivens, Flynn, Byron.

Value from these players? Not much...

That covers it pretty well I think. We could get a good return for Markov but I'd be very surprised to see the team make that move and Andrei to give it his approbation. I do think Plec is movable though, his contract is reasonable compared to some guys with similar production .

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Anything not bolted down :dunno:

obvious ones: Gilbert, flash(though I'd tell him he's wanted back next year & try to re-sign him), Weise, 1 of Flynn/DSP

Trade if at all possible: Desharnais

Trade if decent return: emelin

Trade for 1st+ if not keep: Markov, Pleks

Patches - Galch - Gally
xxx - xxx(Pleks) - xxx
xxx - Eller - Andighetto/Carr/Hudon/McC
DLR/Hudon - Mitchell - Byron
Flynn

PK - xxx
Petry - xxx(Markov)
Pateryn - Beaulieu
Barberio

Price
Condon

Lots of holes, but if we sell effectively, could have 15-18M in cap space... Staal/Ladd, boedcker/eriksson, hamhuis/gunnarsson... Add 3 of those 6 & get decent rookie play from 1-2 of the guys listed & we're back in contention.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Sell:
Fleischmann
Gilbert
Desharnais
Markov (if he wants to go)

Don't sell (unless it obviously improves the team now and in the future and not thru subtraction):
Weise
Plekanec
Eller
Emelin

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I'm not even trolling, I literally believe he will trade Galchenyuk etc.. and try to make Desharnais work as a C with some new wingers he'll pick up.

Sad.. But It's the most likely scenario

The odds of that happening are as good as the Habs winning the cup this year...they like DD, but not that much.

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
Markov to Dallas for a 1e +Esa Lindell/Devin Shore
Plekanec to Washington for a 1e + 2 prospects
Fleischmann =3/4e round pick
Desharnais=2e round pick
Gilbert=3e round pick
DSP=prospect who can hit like a truck.

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
Trade:Markov (4 years to late), Pacioretty, DD, Plek.

Trade if overpaid: Eller, Beaulieu.

Untraceable: Price, Subban, Gallagher, Galchenyuk

Solution: Fire coaching staff and management.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
There's no if at this point, unless Bergevin is even more of a moron than he looks like.

Everyone not Price, Subban and Gallagher. For a fair price, you listen.

At the very least expiring UFAs have to go for whatever, most are spare parts anyways. If we're able to dump Emelin and DD great. Realistically Markov could go as well.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Markov...gone (if you have to retain 1mil for next season...do it).

DD...gone (retaining 1 mil or not?).

Maybe:
Emelin...gone ($4.1mil/year).

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
The way we are going, I predict a top 5 pick.

Auston Matthews
Patrik Laine
Jesse Puljujarvi
Alexander Nylander
Olli Juolevi (this guy is gonna be real good)

I think these are the value of our players should we trade them away.

Untouchables:
Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Pacioretty, Price, Subban

Late 1st or early second rounders + good young roster player + prospects:

Plekanec (if we retain salary, 1st+prospect+roster player)
Markov (if we retain salary, 2nd+roster player)
Desharnais (3rd/4th rounder+prospect)
Eller (2nd rounder+prospect)
Mitchell (4th/5th rounder)
Weise (2nd/3rd round pick+prospect)
Flynn (5th rounder)
Smith-Pelly (4th rounder)
Fleischmann (3rd rounder)
Byron (6th rounder)
Petry (if we retain, late 1st/early 2nd+prospect+roster player)
Emelin (if he waives NTC, 2nd round pick+roster player)
Gilbert (4th rounder)
Barberio (6th rounder)
Scrivens (5th rounder)

I excluded guys like Beaulieu, DLR, Carr, Condon, Pateryn because I don't think they are going to get traded because they are dirt cheap in salary.

When I mention "prospect" I mean like Tyler Biggs, Sven Andrighetto etc. someone on the boarder of making to the NHL, not highly trouted prospects like Drouin, Mantha etc. When I mention "roster player" I mean someone like Daniel Carr or Nail Yakupov.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Pleks and Markov for sure (provided Markov waives his NTC)
Emelin and DD

Not sure why people would say Eller. If we lose Pleks Eller HAS to stay for the 3rd.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
You gotta give something to get something. Galchenyuk will not be a legit #1 on a cup contender, so I'm willing to let him go for the right price. Only Boston won a cup in the past 10 years without a true #1. I put his potential around RNH's - good, but not enough for a cup. Let's roll the dice with first round picks.

Bergeron is a true #1 Center, he gets the same 60-65 points that Toews gets and wins the Selke more often than not. Krejci is a #1B or elite #2 center, 65-70 points a year. They also had a future elite #1 Center in Seguin playing in that cup run. That's far from our sad center situation.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
It,s everybody but Price, Subban and Gallagher. And yet....you also have to monitor Price really carefully. What if he's injury prone? What if he doesn't comeback as good as he was?

Galchenyuk...well on the fence with this one. I think that he is clearly better than what we're seeing right now. But...what if the return is great too?

Alex514

May 10, 2015
Pleks contract is practically untradable....

Markov has an NTC and nobody wants DD.

MB has his work cut out for him.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
This team is done. Get rid of:
DD
Markov
Emelin
Plex
Gilbert

Reset for next year and load up on picks. Go hard after Stamkos and a top 2 LHD

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Sell:

Plekanec (1st and prospect)
Desharnais (bar of soap)
Weise (3rd round pick)
Fleischmann (mid round pick)
DSP (Big Mac Combo)
Flynn (Whatever we gave for him)
Markov (1st and prospect)
Emelin (2nd round pick and B prospect)
Gilbert (mid round pick)

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
At this point I would try to get another first for this year's draft, and that's about it. I wouldn't blow everything up, as I don't believe this roster is as bad as it's been performing. But this has clearly turned from a year that should have seen us targeting the SCF, into a year where we should maximize our draft potential. 4 top 60 picks including a potential top 5 pick this year could be franchise changing.

Our biggest trade piece is Markov. Move him. A team like Dallas might be interested.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Sell:

Desharnais (bar of soap)
Weise (3rd round pick)
DSP (Big Mac Combo)
Gilbert (mid round pick)

Actually, I said sell.....I'm not even sure I want to do that with the idiot managing this team....

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Markov and Plekanec for 1sts.

Do you honestly think they would get 1sts? Markov barely looks like a NHL player likely, and Plekanec is struggling horribly. This is precisely why I hope we don't sell because we're not going to get anywhere near proper value. The only players I want moved are Eller and Gilbert. If we get a decent offer for Emelin, then him too.

Sell:

Desharnais (bar of soap)
Weise (3rd round pick)
DSP (Big Mac Combo)
Gilbert (mid round pick)

If I'm any other team, I laugh at you for demanding a 1st + prospect for Markov, then counter with a 2nd. He's 37 and playing dreadful. No GM in their right mind is going to offer more than a 2nd for him.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Do you honestly think they would get 1sts? Markov barely looks like a NHL player likely, and Plekanec is struggling horribly. This is precisely why I hope we don't sell because we're not going to get anywhere near proper value. The only players I want moved are Eller and Gilbert. If we get a decent offer for Emelin, then him too.

Look at the returns that Vermette and Timonen got last year.

They'll get value at the deadline. There's so much parity in the league that teams will look to get a leg up on their competitors. It might cause us to retain some salary, but it's worth it.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I see a few posts about the Habs getting 1st round picks for Markov and Plekanec

Is this a running gag?

With GM's scared about what's going to happen with the CDN dollar and how it's going to effect the cap

Which team is going to toss Bergevin a lifeline and take on Markov and Plekanec for 1 and 2 more years?

Get real!

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
You don't think teams wouldn't give up 30 spots in the draft, to ensure they get a player that would help them over another team in the league they are competing with?

You underestimate the moves that GMs will make at the deadline to give them an edge to win the cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->