from 11 to 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Good Flying Bird*

katodelder said:
11 possible future NHL cities, omit 1. Which city should be taken off this list.

Winnipeg
Quebec City
Hartford
Portland
Seattle
Las Vegas
Salt Lake City
Hamilton
Houston
Kansas City
Milwaukee

Hartford. Las Vegas. Houston. I also doubt that Quebec City will ever be even considered for NHL hockey again, as much as Ioved having a team there

Pavel

Mar 1, 2004
Houston
katodelder said:
Vegas' population is exploding and the city is dying for a pro sports team. But it looks like betting on the league in question would have to cease before the city gets a team in that league. Nobody bets on hockey, so the NHL might be a better fit than MLB, NFL, or NBA.

I think I remember reading once that gambling wouldn't be allowed on the Las Vegas franchise's games if Vegas ever had a pro franchise. Not the entire league. I could be wrong though.

Old Hickory

Hecht said:
The closest thing they had to a pro-team was the Las Vegas Thunder of the old IHL.

UNLV is also there as well..
They have a AAA baseball team there

MojoJojo

Jan 31, 2003
Philadelphia
Visit site
Seattle is not that close to Vancouver. Its at least a 2 hour drive when you consider customs and traffic, which is far worse than a number of other hockey markets (its really not that different than Buffalo and Toronto, IMO). If you want to see a game in Seattle, you are really going to drive to Vancouver? Maybe a few would, but I think there is great potential here. Seattle has the population, affluence and enough exposure to Canada that it would be the ideal US hockey market.

Now Las Vegas? With all the other entertainment venues available, you think tourists would go see a game in Las Vegas?

Shane

Nov 6, 2003
United Kingdom
Visit site
MojoJojo said:
Seattle is not that close to Vancouver. Its at least a 2 hour drive when you consider customs and traffic, which is far worse than a number of other hockey markets (its really not that different than Buffalo and Toronto, IMO). If you want to see a game in Seattle, you are really going to drive to Vancouver? Maybe a few would, but I think there is great potential here. Seattle has the population, affluence and enough exposure to Canada that it would be the ideal US hockey market.

But, as stated above, it doesn't have an arena suited to NHL hockey, and the city is unlikely to build one.

saskhab

May 12, 2004
Saskatoon
www.puckworlds.com
Another Las Vegas based pro sports franchise... the Las Vegas Posse of the CFL. Remember that era of CFL history?

That being said, LV would be a good spot for a NHL franchise, just based on the fact that the city has the population and is looking for a major pro sports franchise... if the NHL were first to come to town, the support would definitely be there. A lot of LV's population is suburb style young families with some extra cash as well. Although we could have a lot of Pete Rose-type incidents as a negative.

Why is everyone slagging Houston? The Aeros have survived in Houston for how many years, it's a huge city, and Texas has taken to hockey in a big way. I'd say it should be the NHL's #1 future destination.

Seattle is too close to Vancouver. The only comparison we have for both teams having a franchise in a pro league is the NBA... which almost worked (the Grizzlies drew a lot of fans compared to the NBA average), but I still wouldn't risk giving it a try in the NHL. Portland is far more sensible.

Winnipeg is the only possible destination in Canada, and I'd still be reluctant to go there if I were the NHL. That being said, I'd scratch Hamilton and Quebec City for sure, as well as Seattle. Still not sold on Kansas City or Milwaukee, but it's worth a look I suppose...

Shane

Nov 6, 2003
United Kingdom
Visit site
saskhab said:
Why is everyone slagging Houston? The Aeros have survived in Houston for how many years, it's a huge city, and Texas has taken to hockey in a big way. I'd say it should be the NHL's #1 future destination.

Personally, I liked the idea of hockey in Houston. The only negative I can think of about a franchise there is that it'll probably take a lot away from Dallas' fanbase. But I think the rivalry alone that it would create far outweighs any negative aspect.

My top two choices for relocation (or god forbid, expansion) would be Portland and Houston. In that order.

Ismellofhockey

Mar 31, 2002
Visit site
Hamilton is the only one that seems utterly impossible to me because it impedes on the fanbase of Buffalo AND Toronto, even Detroit could be against it.

ResidentAlien*

Shane said:
But, as stated above, it doesn't have an arena suited to NHL hockey, and the city is unlikely to build one.

I think Seatlle would be a great city for an NHL team, and I dont think it's too close, more then two hours, more like three at least depending on what time you go.
Why do you say that they are unlikely to build one? Im not saying thats not true but you sound pretty sure, care to share?

slosharksfan*

Dec 30, 2003
Chico
Portland is the place, it would help the western travel scheduels out a bunch + exabition games have allwayes been a big draw there

Tiki

Mar 1, 2002
Goo Lagoon
Visit site
arrbez said:
nothing against the city of Hamilton itself, but having another team so close to Toronto and Buffalo would probably cause some some problems

I gotta agree with that Stance. Hamilton would be my vote against.

Wetcoaster

Habsfan 32 said:
What would the team be called in Vegas?? The Las Vegas Gamblers.
The previous minor pro IHL team was called the Thunder. They were quite successsful on the ice (for the first 4 seasons) and at the gate.
http://www.lasvegasthunderjerseys.com/Timetable-History.htm

They played for 6 seasons.

Radek Bonk signed his first pro contract at 17 with them and played a couple of seasons.

The "female phenom" Manon Rheaume tended net for a few games. Other keepers of note included Cujo, Manny Legace, Pokey Reddick, Clint Malarchuk and Norm Foster. The well-named Andre "Red Light" Racicot also played there.

Even Gretzky played there - well actually it was Brent Gretzky.

A number of NHL'ers played there for varying periods of time including Yashin, Pavol Demitra, Petr Nedved, Daniel Briere, Brad isbister, Bryan Fogarty, Marc Habscheid, Andrew McBain, Jeff Sharples, Jim Kyte, Brent Ashton, Sergei Zholtok, Greg Hawgood, Ruslan Salei, etc.

Wetcoaster

Kansas City has the highest TV ratings for hockey in the US of any city that does not have an NHL team. They are also building a new arena (Sprint Center) due to open in 2007 which is being designed with the NHL and NBA in mind.

The arena is being partially financed by Anschutz Entertainment Group (Phil Anschutz). AEG owns the LA Staples Center and the LA Kings. President and CEO of the Kings, Tim Liewecke states that he has already had meetings with Bettman about putting an NHL team back in KC.
“I don't think there's a better time to be jumping into the National Hockey League than right now because it's at a pretty low ebb,†Leiweke said. “Looking forward, we're going to have (cost) predictability. There is going to be pain, but the good news for Kansas City is they don't have to sit through the pain.

“By the time this building opens, I believe commissioner Bettman will have a system in place to make it economical for someone to own this team in Kansas City in the National Hockey League and make money. There are going to be some franchises that economically aren't going to be able to make it in their existing markets. The time is right.

“If the arena is ultimately designed the right way and there is the support of the community, I see no reason Kansas City can't have another winter professional sports franchise back in this city.â€
http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:...s/8653210.htm+Kansas+city+nhl+expansion&hl=en

My votes for: Seatle OR Portland, leaning towards Portland. Second goes to Hamilton, and folks there are more than enough fans/money to support 3 teams in South Eastern Ontario. No worries there.

My Votes Against: Quebec City. One day the NHL will be back, I am 100% positive, but hte city has to get hungry for a team for it to work, and right now that just isn't the case. Houston. I think Houston has the most potential, BUT until we see how Dallas fares through a rebuilding period, I think the NHL should stay out of Texas for now. Las Vegas. Man, what a potential nightmare.

The other 5 I'm a bit ambivalent to, wouldn't bother me either way really.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Wetcoaster said:
Portland? - Unlikely to happen since Paul Allen would need to be in the mix and he is not enamoured of the NHL.
http://www.canoe.ca/Slam030109/col_francis-sun.html

But Paul Allen has a lot less influence now, since he no longer controls the Rose Garden.

http://www.portlandtribune.com/archview.cgi?id=28173

The newest game in town? It’s the competition between Global Spectrum, the new operator of the Rose Garden, and the Portland Trail Blazers.

Global Spectrum began managing the arena Jan. 1 for Portland Arena Management, a Delaware-based limited liability company formed as a new entity by the 12 investment companies that are the bondholders of the Rose Garden. Oregon Arena Corp., owned by Trail Blazer owner Paul Allen, lost the building after it declared bankruptcy.

And the new management company does have NHL connections, is looking to book more dates, and is upgrading the arena. It does not sound like they would be too averse another NHL ownership group came a knocking.

Global Spectrum bills itself as “the fastest-growing firm in the public assembly management field.†Its parent company, Comcast-Spectacor, owns the Philadelphia 76ers. Global Spectrum manages such facilities as Philadelphia’s Wachovia Center, where the 76ers play, the 28,000-seat FargoDome in North Dakota and several minor-league ballparks, along with the Arizona Cardinals’ new stadium in Phoenix.
Scanlon said the company will attempt to increase the number of dates in which the Rose Garden is used.
“To put 150 event days in, aside from Blazer and Winter Hawk games, is an achievable number,†he said. “Having 40-some-odd buildings throughout the country gives us the connections we need to get more things put together.â€

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
SensGod said:

While I do not see expansion, or any franchises moving in the forseable future (assuming a favorable CBA is negotiated), I'll add to this thread........

.......Are you familiar with Vegas? As a city, not as a vacation spot. It has consistently been near the top, if not the fastest growing city in the US. Between 1990 and 2000, Vegas grew in population by 83.3%. It's fastest growing years have been in the past 3 to 4. California residents are leaving in a mass exodus to Vegas and Phoenix.

If you include the metro area of Vegas (as other cities do in population estimates), which is North Las Vegas and Henderson.....keep in mind, these places are about 2 miles from the Strip.....Vegas creeps into the top 10-15 in population. It wants a sports franchise, yet it has none.

Oh, here's some links:
http://www.govspot.com/lists/fastestgrowing.htm
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0108543.html

Wetcoaster

kdb209 said:
But Paul Allen has a lot less influence now, since he no longer controls the Rose Garden.

http://www.portlandtribune.com/archview.cgi?id=28173

And the new management company does have NHL connections, is looking to book more dates, and is upgrading the arena. It does not sound like they would be too averse another NHL ownership group came a knocking.
Thanks for the update.

Wetcoaster

craig1 said:
While I do not see expansion, or any franchises moving in the forseable future (assuming a favorable CBA is negotiated), I'll add to this thread........

.......Are you familiar with Vegas? As a city, not as a vacation spot. It has consistently been near the top, if not the fastest growing city in the US. Between 1990 and 2000, Vegas grew in population by 83.3%. It's fastest growing years have been in the past 3 to 4. California residents are leaving in a mass exodus to Vegas and Phoenix.

If you include the metro area of Vegas (as other cities do in population estimates), which is North Las Vegas and Henderson.....keep in mind, these places are about 2 miles from the Strip.....Vegas creeps into the top 10-15 in population. It wants a sports franchise, yet it has none.

Oh, here's some links:
http://www.govspot.com/lists/fastestgrowing.htm
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0108543.html

Las Vegas has ranked number 2 in the US for 2003 and 2004 with a metro population of 1.8 million.
http://bestcities.milkeninstitute.org/bestcities.taf?type=rank200&year=&ID=202

BlueShirt

Feb 17, 2005
MSG
Shane said:
Personally, I liked the idea of hockey in Houston. The only negative I can think of about a franchise there is that it'll probably take a lot away from Dallas' fanbase. But I think the rivalry alone that it would create far outweighs any negative aspect.

Having another team in Texas would not take away from the Dallas fanbase. Houston and Dallas hate each other. I sincerely doubt there are many fans in the Houston area rooting for anything labeled Dallas except for the loser Cowboy fan contingent (of course those losers can be found anywhere). I live in Austin (pretty much in between Dallas and Houston) and you NEVER hear about the Stars here. Unfortunately, the NHL is regional. I used to live in Dallas, the support and coverage for them up there is great however the Stars get little coverage outside the Metroplex.

Houston can be very passionate about their teams. All their major sports teams do real well in ticket sales. Even the Aeros do decent considering they are minor league. Of course you can't judge by minor league ticket sales. I am a HUGE hockey fan however I am not big into minor league anything.

Houston would do real well and they have a great new arena. The Dallas/Houston rivalry would only help. Texans love contact sports.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Vegas has no competition on the major league sports market, so you have to consider that when adding Vegas.

Plus, they're actively pursuiting that NBA All Star Game. Thing is, they just might get it. it'll be sooner rather than later that Vegas finally lands a pro sports franchise, and the NHL would be ignorant not to even consider vegas a top runner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->