from 11 to 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

katodelder

Apr 22, 2004
11 possible future NHL cities, omit 1. Which city should be taken off this list.

Winnipeg
Quebec City
Hartford
Portland
Seattle
Las Vegas
Salt Lake City
Hamilton
Houston
Kansas City
Milwaukee

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Shane said:
Seattle doesn't have an arena suited for an NHL team. Take them off.
The Canucks don't want a team that close and Portland is a better alternative of the two Pac Northwest teams.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Habsfan 32 said:
Seattle. To close to Vancouver. Las Vegas also. Not many people in Vegas know what hockey is.

Over half the people in Vegas at any given time don't live there. They could support a team with tourists. Much like many of their entertainers. They don't have to go on tour, the tour stops come to them.

Victory Ali*

Seattle could support a team. We have Key Arena. The Thunderbirds used to draw up to 9,000 back in the day. The problem is hockey just hasn't been pushed in this town but there is history and fans here.

I'm dreaming... I know...

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
nothing against the city of Hamilton itself, but having another team so close to Toronto and Buffalo would probably cause some some problems

Shane

Nov 6, 2003
United Kingdom
Visit site
SeattleCloutierFan said:
Seattle could support a team. We have Key Arena. The Thunderbirds used to draw up to 9,000 back in the day. The problem is hockey just hasn't been pushed in this town but there is history and fans here.

I'm dreaming... I know...

Isn't the Key Arena's capacity for hockey only about 11,000? That's not enough for an NHL team.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
katodelder said:
11 possible future NHL cities, omit 1. Which city should be taken off this list.

Winnipeg
Quebec City
Hartford
Portland
Seattle
Las Vegas
Salt Lake City
Hamilton
Houston
Kansas City
Milwaukee

omit just ONE?

Winnipeg, Quebec, Harford, and Milwuakee would be the only ones I would really think should have a franchise, but if i had to pick one.....

Houston

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
out of curiosity, has las vegas ever really had a major pro sports team? i'm not sure about the population of the city, but it just seems like a really sketchy place to put a sports team to me. how many other billions of attractions would the NHL have to compete with on a nighlty basis in las vegas? half the population at any given time is old people going to play the slots and see celine dion anyways isn't it?

Victory Ali*

Shane said:
Isn't the Key Arena's capacity for hockey only about 11,000? That's not enough for an NHL team.

I thought it was 17 to 20 something :dunno:

katodelder

Apr 22, 2004
arrbez said:
out of curiosity, has las vegas ever really had a major pro sports team? i'm not sure about the population of the city, but it just seems like a really sketchy place to put a sports team to me. how many other billions of attractions would the NHL have to compete with on a nighlty basis in las vegas? half the population at any given time is old people going to play the slots and see celine dion anyways isn't it?

Vegas' population is exploding and the city is dying for a pro sports team. But it looks like betting on the league in question would have to cease before the city gets a team in that league. Nobody bets on hockey, so the NHL might be a better fit than MLB, NFL, or NBA.

katodelder

Apr 22, 2004
a loose tally of the candidates to be taken off this list so far:

Seattle 3
Hamilton 2
Vegas 2
Houston 1

Hecht

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
The closest thing they had to a pro-team was the Las Vegas Thunder of the old IHL.

UNLV is also there as well..

Boilers*

Milwaulkee couldn't even fill thier buiding for the Admiral games there. Not likely they'd get any attendance together for an NHL team either.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
SeattleCloutierFan said:
I thought it was 17 to 20 something :dunno:

For basketball. For hockey a ton of those seats have severely obstructed views.

Only way hockey will be in Seattle is if there's a new arena. And given that taxpayers have already paid for a new baseball field, a new football stadium, and a re-do of the Key Arena, all in the last 5 years, it'll never happen.

Of the cities on that list, Portland, Kansas City, and Houston are the most likely to get franchises. Salt Lake and Winnipeg would be longshots. The rest don't have a hope.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
borro said:
Hartford-Been there-done that: failed.
the team didnt fail, karmanos bought the team, lying about his intentions to keep it there - and moved it. if the other group had bought the whale from the cda, there is no reason to think they wouldve left (that groups offer included a 20 year no leave clause). hartford wouldve built a new arena for them....the deal was almost agreed upon when the negotiations collapsed. hartford has since built a football stadium and is building a huge convention center. it is also if not the largest, then amongst the largest market without a pro team of any kind. the only thing standing in the way is bettmans global expansion plan and the rangers basically owning CT.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
As much as I hate to say it, because of the great respect for the tradition of hockey there, Quebec City makes no sense from a market expansion or revenue standpoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->