Frolov vs Gionta ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

PEli*

Right now I'll take Gionta but in 2-3 years, Frolov will probably be one of the league's premiere snipers and why would you pass that up?

willie

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
PEli said:
Right now I'll take Gionta

Seriously? Just wondering, why exactly do you feel this way? (honest question, I'm not trying to be an ass here)

While the season is early, Frolov has noticeably outproduced Gionta (12pts to 4pts) and Frolov has been steadily improving with 9 pts in his last 10 games. Then factor in that Frolov is arguably the best defensive foward in LA (seriously) and I don't even see how it is close. (now or future)

I like Gionta and all, he's an exciting sparkplug, but I think comparing him to Frolov is an exercise in futility because clearly Frolov is the better of the two. It would be like me comparing Cammalleri to Spezza.

willie

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
benbouch said:
What kind of production Frolov could put in the futur ?? 60 pts ??? 85 pts ???

It's tough to say. I think he'll max out a ppg level (80ish) points but I honestly would not be surprised if he turned into a 60 point, two-way forward. His defensive game has been more impressive than his offensive game and I would not be surprised if he developed into a potential selke candidate in the future while putting up a fair amount of points.

Frolov

Nov 24, 2003
If Frolov keeps this pace we could end up with 30 goals this season to go along with his defensive play.

Gionta is nothing special Imo.

Over the last 10 games Frolov has dominated on both ends of the ice. Some nights he's looking better then Palffy who happens to be 3rd in league scoring.

leafaholix*

Gionta looks like a checker... not a scorer.

I'd take Frolov anyday.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
This is a rather poor comparison. Though Gionta may work harder than most players (possibly Frolov but I haven't seen him play much) Gionta might be a 50-60 point player at max. In fact that may be shooting a bit high. Frolov easily.

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
JasonMacIsaac said:
A better comparison would be Frolov and Zherdev, even that may be lobsided in Frolov's favor, I didn't like what I did see of Zherdev at the WJC even though he only played around 8 min a game.

Why is it better comparison? They are different type of players. Frolov is good 2 way player while Zherdev isn't, he is noticably smaller and usually doesn't play phisical game and mostly rely on his speed and skills and he is not so good in his own end.

I would compare Frolov to Fedorov.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
Frolov easly. He has all the tools to become one of the great players in the league while Gionta looks like he could be a good player I don't think he will ever get past that status of being a good player.

Frolov

Nov 24, 2003
Slay said:
I would compare Frolov to Fedorov.

Sergie Fedorov? or Fedor Fedorov?

Frolov will never be as explosive as Sergie. Not a chance. Different style of skating, puck handling, etc. If anyone is comparable to Sergie it's Marian Gaborik.

Frolov reminds me more of Alexie Yashin with better work eithic.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
I'm a die-hard Devils fan and as much as I love watching Gionta play, there is no comparison. Gionta is a great player and maybe with more size you could try and compare, but I've only seen Frolov play twice and you can tell he's got more potential. I've heard he's also got work-ethic which is a good indicator of where his talent can take him.

Gionta will never post big numbers 1)because I don't think he's capable of being in the elite and 2)he plays in NJ.

BlackJack21

Nov 6, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Bshot said:
90 could happen though more around 80, unless the game somehow becomes more open.

I watch a lot of LA's game, cause there is nothing better to do at 11:00 in ET :D , and I can tell that some night, he really looks like a top 10 fowards of this league.

Hoerver he will have to put all his skills together evry night to reach to 90 pts range one day or another, but he can do it... I'm pretty sure.

BJ21

LuckyLUC20

Aug 16, 2003
Somewhere in So-Cal
www.facebook.com
Frolov, no contest really. It's not me being a homer, it's just that he's fun to watch. Frolov has grown up from last year. His defensive skills have become better and better, he's playing on the PK, outworking the opposition and can be dominant on both ends of the ice. Tonight, he had a great shift that led to a penalty against the other team because he was aggressive on the puck, forechecking and fighting off a defenseman. He's been doing that (not necessarily drawing penalties everytime, but great forechecking) in every game for the past 10 or so games.

I truly cannot wait till Frolov reaches his full potential. He's got size and seems to have bulked up during the offseason. He has all the makings to become a true elite two way forward in the NHL.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad