Frolik or Tlusty who would you draft first?

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
Le Golie said:
Dan Cleary
1995-96 Belleville Bulls OHL 64 53 62 115

Joe Thornton
1995-96 Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds OHL 66 30 46 76
its more like...

1st year in the OHL for both

Dan Cleary
1994-1995 Belleville Bulls:62 gp, 26g, 55a, 81pts

vs.

Joe Thornton
1995-1996 S.S Marie Greyhounds: 66gp, 30g, 46a, 76 pts

or 2nd year for both

Dan Cleary
1995-1996 Belleville Bulls: 64gp, 53g, 62a, 115pts

vs.

Joe Thornton
1996-1997 S.S Marie Greyhounds: 59gp, 41g, 81a, 122pts

factor in that Thornton is 5 inches and 30 pnds heavier

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
golleafsgo_17 said:
factor in that Thornton is 5 inches and 30 pnds heavier

That has been his point through this whole thread. His posting of Cleary's stats were just used to re-enforce that. Stats do no tell the story when scouting.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Frolik or Tlusty... well, I would defer to my scouting staff which hopefully will have seen a lot more of both of them than I have!

But if the space aliens land and point a death ray to my head 10 minutes from now and demand that I choose between the two... well... then I will have to pick Tlusty, because he looked better to me in the U-18 on TV and I never really got too excited about Frolik in the WJC (also on TV). It's an empty and meaningless way to choose. But it's all I've got to go on. And I imagine it's probably all that a lot of us North American armchair draft enthusiasts have. Well, that and reading other people's comments and scrutinizing meaningless statistics.

But it's not worth letting the space aliens vapourize my brain over it. :dunce:

chlebak

Mar 21, 2006
Litvinov
Frolik was better player in their junior league. But now in mens hockey, he has problem with much bigger opponents. He is too weak. He need more strenght and he could be good player. Tlustys -15 this season does not seem good for checking line. Top scorer he will never be, so I prefer Frolik, althought it is not sure he will be first line forward

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
A lot of people here seem to have the idea that Tlusty's best quality is his two-way play, physical game and hard work while Frolik has the great, slick offensive skills. It's just not true. I'd say that Tlusty is clearly the better skater, stickhandler, visionary, with better and smarter moves and puck movement. Also, Frolik is a hard-working player defensively who uses his body well. Frolik is not Vasyunov.

This widespread misunderstanding about the styles of these two players is one of the biggest pieces of misinformation on these boards. Tlusty is a gamebreaker-type, folks! At the U18s he was one guy who you'd expect to do something special everytime he got the puck.

Nielson81

Feb 28, 2002
www.hockeysfutureradio.com
I think people are under-rating Frolik a bit now.

Some differences between the coach and Frolik led to not very much ice time.

Anyone who says he is a Boom or Bust potential is mistaken, he isn't a very risky pick.

I think we will all be fooled by all of the pre-draft rankings and Frolik will go in the top ten.

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
steblick said:
A lot of people here seem to have the idea that Tlusty's best quality is his two-way play, physical game and hard work while Frolik has the great, slick offensive skills. It's just not true. I'd say that Tlusty is clearly the better skater, stickhandler, visionary, with better and smarter moves and puck movement. Also, Frolik is a hard-working player defensively who uses his body well. Frolik is not Vasyunov.

This widespread misunderstanding about the styles of these two players is one of the biggest pieces of misinformation on these boards. Tlusty is a gamebreaker-type, folks! At the U18s he was one guy who you'd expect to do something special everytime he got the puck.
Tell that to, Mckeens, The Hockey News, CSS, ISS, Redline, etc.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
golleafsgo_17 said:
Actually Redline pretty much concurs with steblick's analysis, I think. FWIW.

CH Wizard

Tlusty hands down, i've seen him in the u-18's and when he wants to create some offence....he works really hard.

Frolik is overrated imo, he's had one good tournament as a 16-17 years old while playing vs 20 years old. I've seen him....the potential is there...but Tlusty is way more safer.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Nielson81 said:
I think people are under-rating Frolik a bit now.

Some differences between the coach and Frolik led to not very much ice time.

Anyone who says he is a Boom or Bust potential is mistaken, he isn't a very risky pick.

I think we will all be fooled by all of the pre-draft rankings and Frolik will go in the top ten.
Totally agree but Frolik has lost some developement time due to that spat and who knows how a kid will rebound from it. While that should slip Frolik a little bit, I still think he'll end up a high end player in the long run.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
golleafsgo_17 said:
Well, FWIW, I was sitting with the head scout of a team who will pick in the early teens at the draft, watching the Czechs at the U18s. He was pretty sure that Tlusty would be gone before his team's pick and that while they thought that Frolik was expected to still be there at their turn, he wasn't somebody who they were really focusing upon (he wouldn't tell me who they were watching closely, mind you).

Similar sentiments have been passed around a fair bit. The Czech hockey people seem to agree with it too. Personally, I'd really have trouble with a hockey person who has seen the Czechs since Feb. saying that Frolik was the slicker, more creative of the two while Tlusty was more the steady, two-way, workhorse type (although he does work very hard and certainly can handle the physical game). I think just about anybody who has seen the Czechs recently would say that Tlusty is the more electrifying and dangerous of the two. Strong claims but there you go...

P.S. I don't know exactly what ISS and McKeen's have said.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Actually I just read McKeen's on Tlusty and Frolik and they (like me) see Tlusty as dynamic offensive player and a huge threat when he's on the ice but believe that Frolik, while very talented, has some offensive limitations. So, there you go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->