Post-Game Talk: Frightening the Lightning 7:07pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Good win. Samsonov was really good. Definitely outplayed Vasilevski who had a pretty bad game. He got bailed out few times when his rebound control was ECHL-level but that Eller goal is just a terrible goal to give up. He ducked out of the way.

Before the season the top-4 favourites were mostly us, Blues, Bolts and the Bruins. We are 7-0 against those teams so far. If you count the Islanders too, it's 8-0. Dominant.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
This team is SO good. I am really excited about this season and just how far they can go. The only player I am concerned about is Ovie. I think it's more likely some discomfort / injury but i think he was taking more shots tonight so maybe he's on the mend. And
it's nice to know we don't have to rely on him so he doesn't have that pressure.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Susannah

Dec 3, 2019
One of our new fans trolling the Pens GDT with multi-quote madness...

Or....wait...could he actually be a fan of the Caps AND the Pens? I've never seen such a thing....
I have a friend who is Ohio State and Michigan fan which is another strange mix. Anything is possible.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Sammy sharp. Jensen. Sharp. Panik Eller Hagelin sharp. Backstrom back to better than Kuznetsov and Kuznetsov back to being himself. Reirden said it before the game. Oshie worked on his skating and his faster than before. He said players don't get faster at his age but he did.

But the Islanders are keeping up. Cant coast. Its working out like Reirden pre planned

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
I think we are finding out how good Reirden is. The Islanders are typical Trotz. The Reirden Caps have no relation to that. The Trotz Caps were somewhere in between.
No argument here. Maybe this is the first year he fully implemented his way.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Reirden? Oh, that is for certain. I have been watching his daily pressers since he started. He spoke at lenth and with regularity about the depth of his research and program development he went thru to find a way to compensate for the long cup run in an effort to repeat. He said this season that he couldn't play the aggressive style the team is playing now last season without driving an already tired team team into the ground. His view is they couldn't play this style last season. Imagine Niskanen trying to play this style worn out like he was last season.

So, yea. This season is what Reirden hockey looks like.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Oh, come on. The Jolly Roger logo? Nobody would guess that a team called the Washington Capitals would be wearing a black pirate uniform. That was just stupid
Blasphemous!!!

Bite your tongue brother, and then chew it up and swallow it for good measure.

If you think that looks like a skull and cross bones, you need to your old eyes checked!!!

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Blasphemous!!!

Bite your tongue brother, and then chew it up and swallow it for good measure.

If you think that looks like a skull and cross bones, you need to your old eyes checked!!!

It looks like a dome and crossed sticks. Same basic shape. Come on Bro. Again, you see a team called the Washington Capitals and you see black? There is a reason that the Red exploded like it did. When you see that team on the ice its clear that are a team with that name.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Not Capitals

36967.jpg

Capitals

899e3517de0c4bd984661a792af2b064_front.jpg

Reactions: Calicaps

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

This.

I think its also a case of, first year coach inherits defending Cup Champion, he has almost no place to go but down, virtually no chance to improve upon the prior season.

Now that he's seen in himself as well as his roster what works and what they can do, he's settling in to be the coach he can be.

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
I think we are finding out how good Reirden is. The Islanders are typical Trotz. The Reirden Caps have no relation to that. The Trotz Caps were somewhere in between.

Reirdon is fine for regular season. I will be judging...very harshly judging in the post-season. IMO, he poorly managed ice time vs Carolina. The players were exhausted in OT and had nothing left to give.

Reactions: The Deadly Pook Gas

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Reirdon is fine for regular season. I will be judging...very harshly judging in the post-season. IMO, he poorly managed ice time vs Carolina. The players were exhausted in OT and had nothing left to give.

Is that really mismanagement, something he could have avoided, or was it inevitable given the huge amount of hockey they had played over the prior year? Losing Oshie and Kempny also hurt and caused AHL guys to be injected into the lineup.

Reactions: Sam Spade

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
They were exhausted In October 2018. As Tex noted, Reirden modified his approach all last season just to keep them upright on their skates because they were so tired. And he still coached them to a division title and a game 7 2OT despite losing 2 starters. He still coached them enough to break the unbeatable Bolts 2 weeks before the playoffs. I think last season showed a lot about how good a coach he is. But this year he's doing what we really wants to do because they're rested. Yes the playoffs will be the key metric but the evidence to date is strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->