Friends: Why only 10 seasons?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Like a lot of long running shows, I think the actors/actresses wanted to branch out and do other things. In particular, Aniston was getting more movie offers and in general the availability of the cast was harder to schedule. Plus I can only imagine the actors had fear of being typecast as their Friends character.

I remember a story about Ed O'Neill landing a small role in a serious movie when he was still doing Married with Children. When a test audience saw the movie, everybody started laughing when O'Neill came on screen since they only saw him as Al Bundy. His role ended up being recast if I recall correctly.

And like a lot of shows that even make it to season 10, there's usually a finite amount of compelling plots you can do with the same cast.

Edit: Asked my friend who's a bit of a Friends nut. She said that the show was possibly originally slated to end after eight seasons but NBC gave the actors a ton of money to lure them back.

Last edited:
Reactions: JabbaJabba

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Looking to their ratings, they could easily push for another 5 seasons.

I realise you are fairly new here and rarely visit us but not sure is this belongs on the international tournament board?

and to answer you question, David Schwimmer tried to quit every year after year 7.

Like MASH and Seinfeild, the actors had enough

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
The cast thought they all had chances at a career in movies. TV shows were also changing and Friends did not follow any kind of trends or changes necessary to stay relevant for another five seasons. The lack of diversity is on an amazing level and it stuns me it stayed popular for so long.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Did you not see the Joey spin-off? If that's the sort of additional material they could come up with for one character, god knows how they could have managed another five years of the six of them.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
I think that shows like Friends, and another show I love HIMYM, focus on a very specific time of life, and that's what makes them so enjoyable and relatable. There is a beautiful time of life (fortunately, that I'm in right now) where you can hang out with your friends a lot and do a lot of things together, you can be free and spontaneous and have a lot of fun. And like in the shows, this bridges into marriage and even the early stages of parenting. But naturally, it's a finite period of time. And it gets replaced when people move out to the suburbs to raise their kids, or move to different cities to work, or start working longer hours at managerial positions, or have multiple kids, etc. And that's not a less beautiful stage of life, I hope, but it's different. It's less conducive to the TV sitcom mode of presentation. I think the ending of Friends was lovely, I don't think ending differently at another point would have helped it.

Reactions: Keke

JETZZZ

Oct 27, 2010
Winnipeg Manitoba
It hasn't been their day, their week, their month, or even their year. When they found out it wasnt their decade anymore too, they called it quits.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad