Friedman speculates that Leonsis might be next owner of NFL Washington

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Does Leonsis have the money to do so? The team is usually listed as one of the most valuable in the NFL, in the multi-billions (Forbes numbers I know), and Leonsis is only listed at just over $1 billion (again via Forbes, I know). Unless Ted has some extra billion hiding away that no one knows about, I don't know if he could make the numbers work.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Highly unlikely. Seems like speculation and not informed. The way to typically buy an NFL team is to enter the league as a minority partner with a separate team, and then when a franchise comes up for sale for controlling owner you get the first option as long as you don't want to immediately move the franchise and pay market value. Jimmy Haslem (Browns) and David Tepper (Panthers) got to the front of the line (realize only 4 NFL teams have been outright sold and not inherited or bought by a minority partner of the team in the past 20 years). Now, if it is a less desirable market such as Jacksonville where no one in the NFL network wants to buy it then you might see an outsider. I would be a bit surprised if one of the more historic NFL franchise in a major market (even with the upcoming name change) doesn't have someone already in the NFL orbit who wants it.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Does Leonsis have the money to do so? The team is usually listed as one of the most valuable in the NFL, in the multi-billions (Forbes numbers I know), and Leonsis is only listed at just over $1 billion (again via Forbes, I know). Unless Ted has some extra billion hiding away that no one knows about, I don't know if he could make the numbers work.
I assumed he did, but according to wiki he's "only" worth about 1.1B

Which is rich but not NFL rich.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad