News Article: Friedman: Oilers ‘an organization on edge’

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
@belair

To be honest man, if I had to summarize your arguments it would boil down to “nothing good could have been done so I’m ok with nothing good being done.”

It’s defeatist. No winner or capable executive thinks like that. You can’t admit defeat before you even start the battle. If you don’t think you can win then you can’t win.
I'm not saying nothing good was done. I think adding Adam Larsson was a positive move and something that aided in the development of Oscar Klefbom and Darnell Nurse. It prevented our coach from having to use one of them the way Justin Schultz was used--improperly and often--ultimately negatively impacting their development and expected salaries. There are reasons why all young defensemen have washed out of Edmonton before them.

I think our payroll beyond this year is one that looks promising. The needs of the roster today aren't as insurmountable as they were three years ago and the core pieces of this roster are locked in place for several years. Additionally, I also feel our farm system is in the best shape it's been in since I've begun paying close attention to hockey.

I think instead of learning that our players aren't as valuable as we think they are, the same posters who used to deem these players untouchable choose to still hold them in extremely high regard while throwing all context out the window. I'm willing to address the fact that the market for wingers has been historically poor and having only them as our prized assets, we weren't exactly sitting in a position of strength when going into trade negotiations. That isn't defeatist--it's reality.

Turning a perennial lottery team into a competitor takes more than simply adding a franchise forward. There are numerous factors that went into turning that roster into a sustainable and competitive product. And the majority of them are routinely glossed over.

Reactions: bucks_oil and Zaddy

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Well, Tmac is gone, and rightly so. But the bigger problem is Chia and the OBC. Chia will go this off-season, if not sooner, as this was his "last shot" When we miss the playoffs, he'll be gone in the summer. If we are really out of it by February, which is very likely, he might get fired before the trade deadline. Either way, the DISASTROUS Chia reign is finally coming to an end soon. We can only help that he isn't allowed to make any other trades in the meantime that set the team back even farther.

After Chia is gone, or hopefully at the same time, we can all dream that the OBC gets turfed as well. The problem, of course, is that Katz is a jock-sniffing-fan-boy, so will never fire Lowe and MacT. The next best hope is that the OBC gets lucky with their next GM hire and finally keep their goddamn noses out of hockey operations. I know this is unlikely, but its literally the only hope that Oilers fans have (other than Katz selling the team, but that will never happen).

YEGman

Dec 21, 2009
Edmonton
Read part of the article more carefully. The business side of running the entire organization is where a number of questionable cuts were made and it had a ripple effect into all aspects of the organization. For instance, Darryl Boessenkool was the CFO for a number of years with EIG and then over to Oilers Entertainment where he was moved to COO and then just let go last spring. Indeed outside of the hockey aspect of OEG, the balance of the Executives (except Bob Black) now are relatively new to the organization and moves have been made to replace people with their people. A lot of long time people were let go last year and replaced. Familiar faces now gone so that everyone starts looking over their shoulder.

Here is a link to the OEG Executives:

Front Office

As well, the whole development side has its own Executive including in-house counsel and real estate people.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Then you keep Hall.

The Flames managed to find several D that can move the puck and play D in that time frame, btw.
What do think happens to Hall's value if the Oilers miss the playoffs again in 2016/17? If he puts up the same numbers he did that year in NJ? He goes into the final press conference in April with the same pout all of those guys carried into the previous five Aprils. Where does the value go for all of those guys? Jordan Eberle's value took a dump and our team was successful that year.

The risk goes both ways. And sitting on their hands is something they'd seen zero positive results from in the previous five off-seasons. The Oilers were the Pacific Division punching bag.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
What do think happens to Hall's value if the Oilers miss the playoffs again in 2016/17? If he puts up the same numbers he did that year in NJ? He goes into the final press conference in April with the same pout all of those guys carried into the previous five Aprils. Where does the value go for all of those guys? Jordan Eberle's value took a dump and our team was successful that year.

The risk goes both ways. And sitting on their hands is something they'd seen zero positive results from in the previous five off-seasons. The Oilers were the Pacific Division punching bag.

Oh man... what happens to McDavid's value if he breaks his spine tonight?

We should trade him for Slavin one for one!

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
So I'm willing to bet that when Chia is fired at the end of the season, that MacT will stay in his "assistant GM" position for the next incoming GM. Anyone want to bet against?

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Oh man... what happens to McDavid's value if he breaks his spine tonight?

We should trade him for Slavin one for one!
The Edmonton Oilers were on pace to set the record for consecutive years out of the playoffs heading into that season. Choosing to stick to the status quo would've been an interesting choice considering they had a pretty good idea that outscoring their mistakes wasn't winning them anything.

To be clear, it was likely they were going go miss that year.

Last edited:

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
So I'm willing to bet that when Chia is fired at the end of the season, that MacT will stay in his "assistant GM" position for the next incoming GM. Anyone want to bet against?
Bill Scott will be the replacement. He's our homegrown egghead.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The Oilers have built a blue line similar to the Tavares-era Islanders.

Larsson-Sekera-Klefbom is similar to Boychuk-Leddy-Hamonic. The Islanders group may be a little better, honestly, lol.

You're not winning shit with that blue line though, you're never going to be a real contender with a bunch of no.3 Ds.

You would need an elite offensive team to offset that, the difference is the Islanders didn't trade Hall to get their mediocre blue line, we did and in the process ensured several years of a team that can't score much either because only one line can bother actual NHL opposition.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
When you trade a Hall you ought to be able to get a defender that can move the puck and play defense.
When you pick 1st overall 3 times in a row, 4 times in 6 years, and top-5 in 6 of 7 years with the 7th "all the way down at 7th" you shouldn't be 26th in the league 9 years after you started into that stretch of drafting. [You really shouldn't have been 28th, 29th, and 29th after the 3rd year of those 1st-overall picks.] It takes legendary world-class skill to still be stinking up things that badly after all of that.

For the record, I really do feel sorry for Oilers fans at this point. None of this is a reflection on the fan base, it's a complete reflection of shitty management and shitty ownership. But with Katz in control, I don't know how it ever changes. Hitchcock is probably as good as you'll get for a HC short-term because he knows how to push buttons on a young roster and it's hard to think the team will continue to be horrible, but then I realize who's in charge of this ship and think, "you know, they'll find a way to sabotage this."

And like I said, the fans should have better than that.

Reactions: rboomercat90

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Then you keep Hall.

The Flames managed to find several D that can move the puck and play D in that time frame, btw.
Then you keep Hall.

que Noah Hanifin about to take off... supremely good skater, great passer, etc .... while we bought in Gravel ......:biglaugh:

like f***, eat 3 million from Lucic's salary and get rid of him. There are plenty of half decent 3-4 million dollar puck movers in this league ,

should have dumped Strome, bought up Marody full time, Dumped Lucic eat 3 mill, now you have 5- 6 million for a puck moving dman

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
que Noah Hanifin about to take off... supremely good skater, great passer, etc .... while we bought in Gravel ......:biglaugh:

like ****, eat 3 million from Lucic's salary and get rid of him. There are plenty of half decent 3-4 million dollar puck movers in this league ,

should have dumped Strome, bought up Marody full time, Dumped Lucic eat 3 mill, now you have 5- 6 million for a puck moving dman
I agree with the sentiment, but in isolation it took trading Hamilton to get Hanifin, with Ferland on top. But yes, Chia's big failure is that he could never get someone like Hanifin. Bouchard will be that good and better, but let's be real. It's going to take 3 years. We'd like someone now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad