Friedman: NHL and NHLPA "quietly renegotiating CBA" (upd: neither party opts out for 2020)

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
How dumb is it that the cba expires in September rather than June 30? You could conceivably go into the offseason not knowing what the rules regarding the cap will be for the following season.
You have to pick an end date that's somewhere on the calendar. The only real options are some date between the end of the League Year [June 30] and before the real start of training camp [September 15]. But let's say it did end June 30.

-- Virtually the entire FA market [RFA and UFA] is sitting without a contract.
-- RFAs who were eligible for arbitration might not be able to make that election.
-- Entry-level players outside perhaps the top-2 picks in the immediately preceding draft are about 99.99% certain not to be able to sign contracts.

And that doesn't get into all kinds of other stuff that affects teams, players and the league that I haven't thought of. [I'm quite positive it's not a short list.] Just using the 2012-13 season, if the CBA had ended June 30, 2012 and the agreement been reached on the same date in January, 2013 it would have left 7 days [following approval by both the NHL and NHLPA] for dealing with all of the unsigned players [including any arbitration filings and hearings] and getting guys into the right places for a one-week training camp before the season started and all the administrative work needed by teams, the NHL, and the NHLPA to handle that. That's a hell of a lot to ask in a really short period of time.

The point about how rules could change is valid. That's why transition rules exist, to smooth between "what was" and "what now is." Then, the question is how to make that transition as seamless and painless as possible for everyone.

Is September 15 the right date? I don't know how you make it somewhere in July, and I can't see it being any earlier than say August 15. Maybe it could be September 1, to give a little space between CBA expiry and training camp opening instead of having the two be virtually the same date or camp opening precede CBA expiry. But that's a longer discussion with other considerations, and I don't have the time to go through all of that.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
haven't paid much attention to the mainstream reporters, but is anyone saying anything
one way or another? hard to pinpoint how this is gonna go tomorrow, but fehr usually
likes the opt outs for leverage.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
With the provision being extended to tomorrow at 5pm - a little less than 24 hours on the PA's perspective, what would be the reason to drag this down to the wire if at the end of the day, they're going to be OK with the current arrangements for the next 3 years?

To me, they're making it to look like they're trying to do everything to avoid the opt-out and then they're out of time and then they had 'no choice' to do so and trying and win the court of public opinion which is where these things go next.

Starting to look more like the opt-out is going to be triggered tomorrow.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
With the provision being extended to tomorrow at 5pm - a little less than 24 hours on the PA's perspective, what would be the reason to drag this down to the wire if at the end of the day, they're going to be OK with the current arrangements for the next 3 years?

To me, they're making it to look like they're trying to do everything to avoid the opt-out and then they're out of time and then they had 'no choice' to do so and trying and win the court of public opinion which is where these things go next.

Starting to look more like the opt-out is going to be triggered tomorrow.

Better for the opt-out and get the issue taken care of then to have it not be triggered and have a lockout the year after Seattle joins.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
The NBA and NFL (and I believe MLB) all have their CBAs Expire at the end of the league year before free agency. Each have had offseason work stoppages and had a free agency period following the CBA ratification. So the idea that it is a mistake not end it June 30 is not an unreasonable criticism.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
According to Bob McKenzie, the PA made their decision yesterday by conference call and will announce their decision today.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhlpa-to-announce-decision-on-whether-to-re-open-cba-today-1.1366354

I circle back to my question earlier, why take so long to make a decision on this if they're going to stay with the status quo? If an agreement of an extension to the opt out or the CBA in general, it would have been a decision by both sides, not the PA only.

Not sure what time this announcement is expected to be made...however...

'Official' projection....brought to you by Mightygoose…..The PA will opt out today.

Last edited:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Bob McKenzie musings on what happens next.

If they are close to a new agreement, ending next year gives a deadline to negotiations.

Not necessarily a bad thing.

Reactions: JohnnyT91

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Rooting for an opt-out. Will force both parties to work out outstanding issues with a bit more pressure. Nothing prevents them from extending next year for whatever years they wish if there is still no or only a partial agreement. CBA only expires if either party provides a notice 120 days before expiration date to this effect. Otherwise CBA is renewed automatically for another year.

Get over those hurdles sooner than later.

Last edited:

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I also want an opt-out.

The CBA has been awful for the players and I want Olympic hockey with NHLer back.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Telltale sign that a stoppage will be avoided and a new CBA will be agreed to in the future, yes?

Joe from Maine

Jun 6, 2019
Good news. It sounds like the NHLPA negotiated what they could up to the last minute. They had some leverage and used it which is smart business. I suspect the league hoped and figured that as well. Nice to see the maturity on both sides.

Reactions: DaveG

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Well I'm glad to be mistaken and there's lots of time to keep this going for a few more years.

There will be allot less darts and poker coverage next year!

jonathan613

Aug 6, 2018
I am very happy that the lockout was avoided. I think the players made the right move here. The real date is that their must be a long term agreement in place by the time the NHL needs to renew its television contracts. I think that effectively means that an agreement must be place by the summer of 2021. The 21-22 season will be the time the tv contracts are negotiated and the china olympics issue will need to be dealt with by then as well as the nhl will off course need to schedule the necessary break in the season in february 22 to accommodate an olympics. So in reality the only season at stake here was the 20-21 season as i see it. One season is not worth making a stink about if the negotiations currently taking place are proceeding in a good atmosphere.

The bottom line is that i cna not see tv networks negotiation along term deal witht the nhl if long term labor peace is not guaranteed for at least the life of the deal.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Is there a reason why the PA couldn’t negotiate to play in the Olympics for an extended CBA? I don’t see how the owners didn’t just make out like bandits.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
I hope we will get more insight into current situation soon. What progress was achieved and what remains to be hammered out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad