Friedman: Islanders’ Optimism Spearheaded By Last Line Of Defense

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/09...by-last-line-of-defense/#.VCM9fxp2DvY.twitter

"From the moment he first skated onto the Nassau Coliseum ice, Jaroslav Halak changed the atmosphere at Islanders training camp.

Not because of the veteran goaltender’s reaction time during a 2-on-1 drill, nor because of anything pertaining to his performance, for that matter. His mere presence drove home the realization that things were going to be different this season.

“They have a young team and a great group of guys over here,†Halak said. “They are only going to get better. I was glad that they traded for me and showed good interest in me. I’m happy to be here and thrilled about training camp and the start of the season....â€"

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
I like Halak as much as the next guy, but let's be honest. He's never played more than 57 games in a season. He's only played more than 50 TWICE.

I'm not worried about Halak's talent at all....I'm worried about his ability to play games.

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010
I like Halak as much as the next guy, but let's be honest. He's never played more than 57 games in a season. He's only played more than 50 TWICE.

I'm not worried about Halak's talent at all....I'm worried about his ability to play games.

Fortunately we have Johnson.

Aucoin3

Aug 9, 2005
I think Halak faces a lot of skeptism as a result of not being highly touted as a youngster. Had he been a 1st round draft pick with the same resume I think he would catch the benefit of the doubt more often than not. Look what he did in Montreal. Look how much better he was than Ryan Miller in St. Louis and finally look at that .930 sv% on a bad Washington team (albeit a small sample size).

The Isles defense is below average but Halak is well above average.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad