Friedman: Howard “probably not” returning

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast

He's made his money, has a family here, so I can't see that, he's done. Why take that risk in a pandemic?

I wonder if he'd be a good coach? Maybe he would fit as a goalie coach in Saginaw or Toledo? I always liked his passion, so I'm not opposed to keeping him somewhere in the org.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
"Someone is going to have to tell me I can't play anymore."

Jimmy, we all care about you, and this is a safe space here, but we have some bad news...

AdobeStock_207143311.jpeg

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
He's let himself get way out of shape in recent years.
I could see him bouncing back if he's dropped 25 pounds.
But considering he was paid millions by Detroit and showed up fat and out of shape, I think Detroit would be crazy to have any faith in him.

Reactions: hkydave04

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Great news. Always thought Howard was one excuse away from being good. That's the story of his career... good riddance.

FabricDetails

I know enough to know I know nothing
Mar 30, 2009
Never know, I guess. NHL relationships go a long way. For all we know Jim Bedard (former Red Wings goalie coach, current Texas Stars goalie coach) is already trying to get his name on the list of candidates either replace Khudobin next year or be the #3 goalie.

Reactions: 14ari13

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Like to see him playing 1 more game with RW. He was my favorite goaltender untill last year. Have just one good game and standing retirement thanks

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Never know, I guess. NHL relationships go a long way. For all we know Jim Bedard (former Red Wings goalie coach, current Texas Stars goalie coach) is already trying to get his name on the list of candidates either replace Khudobin next year or be the #3 goalie.

Oettinger is a lot better option than Howard.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Jimmy was always the king of the first period. The guy could make 25 saves in the first, and then give up 3 on the next 12 shots during the final 40 minutes.

Last year was just sad though. It got to the point where I avoided watching entirely if he was the projected starter. It was an easy 4 goals against every time.

Reactions: Le Champion

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Another guy with a good career that gets disrespected around here. Howard was never the problem and it's funny when people talk about the prospect of drafting Askarov or signing Holtby or whatever, the argument that often comes up is "you don't need a superstar goalie, just someone who is good enough". Howard was that guy for the better part of his NHL career. Yet is criticized because he didn't steal playoff series.
I could see him still getting a PTO and bouncing back a little if he gets the chance. Hope he does, just to shut up the haters a little bit again.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Would love to see him going Dallas and what happens behind that defence + Jim Bedard working again with him.

Just to see if great helping D can make a miracle turnaround, a legit goalie for bargain price.

Reactions: Red Stanley

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Honestly happy to see him go. Another, get in and anything can happen era, player off the books. But best of luck continuing your career I will give him that. Interested to see how long that attitude lasts when he is either signed as a backup, a starter in the AHL, or needs to go to Europe.

By the time Howard joined the team we were on a downward trajectory. His career is pretty much synonymous with the slow and painful crawl to worst team in the NHL. Not his fault but he will be nothing more than a Redwing footnote in the future for being a career wing starter over 10 seasons.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->