Friedman: Hitchcock on the verge of resigning?

Talonted

Dec 9, 2010
Wow this thread is all noise.

I sometimes read threads like these looking for a comment that is microscopically unique in any way but it always reads like a bumped thread from before. Boring “discussion”.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Poor Oilers? Half their fan base was just squawking last week about how they could still make the playoffs and go a few rounds lol. I just hope this finally shakes the fans from their terrible delusions of grandeur and helps them realize that they cheer for the worst run franchise in pro sports history. I cant feel bad for them until they've finally come around to this.

Reactions: Poulin 0n My St1ck

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Poor Hitchcock has almost ruined his reputation in a few short months there. An HOF career reduced to a steaming pile of chiarelli/Katz turds. I doubt that the oil will be able to attract any notable coaches with experience for the position, who the f would want to jeopardize their career like that. I sense that Dallas eakins 2.0 approaches.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
At the time of the thread, MCDavid was on a 130 point pace. I said under hitch, he's more realistically looking at 110-115 at his max. And you got offended by that, and misquoted me several times there, and are doing so now. Right now, McDavid is on pace for ~120 points.

So we were both wrong.
Fact check!

McDavid had 28 pts in 20 games before McClellen was fired on Nov 20 before the game against SJ.

McDavid has 54 points in 35 games under Hitchcock since he took over as Coach.

McDavid was on a 114.8 point pace under McClellen. Not 130 as you posted.

McDavid is on a 126.51 point pace under Hitchcock.

Actually. You are wrong on both accounts. The math and that McDavid would fall off the cliff production wise under Hitchcock.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
To address the actual story, the fact Kenny thinks this boils down to defensive zone prowess shows just how far the game has passed him by.

Kenny... THESE are your problems

1. You have ONE line that plays well. McDavid/Draisaitl and whoever
2. You have THREE lines that are completely and utterly incapable of generating any offense save for if someone has a lightbulb moment playing with RNH
3. Your team spends probably 65% of the game getting its ass handed to it because it has ZERO ability to sustain offensive pressure outside of McDavid/Draisaitl and the occasional power play opportunity

Bruh... you are expecting THAT team to hold up to fire drills in their zone night after night after night.

Do you wanna know why the Lightning are so successful defensively?

1. They seldom have to actually play defense because most of the time we are beating the crap out of whoever in THEIR zone.

2. But when they DO have to play defense, yes they are structured enough and have a good enough goaltender to bail them out.

--But hint hint: we fold like a cheap lawn chair when teams hem us in long enough. No differently than any team would.

It's possible we have the best defense in the NHL. But if our offense was as inept as the Oilers offense is, they would spend all night in their own zone getting scored on just like the Oilers do now.

The solution isn't to revert back to 1999 to clutch, grab, clog and trap every little thing until you are lucky enough to get a power play or a little bit of zone time. You needs guys who can control the play on offense, pressure opposing defenses and drive the play of the game. These days, the best defense is to have to play it as little as possible. That was never NOT true, but the game has changed.

This is exactly why he failed in St. Louis and why a team like Pittsburgh could win a Cup without its #1 defenseman in Letang. Your team is not built for the system you desire to run. In fact, Chia did such a horrible job on this roster that it's not really built to do ANYTHING well.

Yeah, your team sucks at defense. They lack urgency. You're not wrong Kenny. But THAT is not the problem. NO TEAM can be successful having to play defense that much because of an offense has THREE guys that actually know what they are doing out there.

I wish you well Hitch. Enjoy retirement if that's the way you decide to go

Sorry Bubba. But those brief, glorious moments when guys like Rattie, Kharia and RNH team up for a brief amount of zone time doesn't count. You need more lines that can go back out there and pressure until there's a goal and teams are capable enough to key in on McDavid/Draisaitl for that to not happen

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

SlickShot

Feb 8, 2019
Abandoning ship? Why sign in the first place?

Should have stayed retired. Still don't understand why Oilers chose to go with him rather than someone like A.V perhaps.

My thought exactly. Why take the job in the first place? He must have known it would not be pretty.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Maybe this would be the wake up call the self serving management there needs. One could hope, anyway...

middletoe

Why am I me?
Nov 5, 2008
Northern Ontario
The team had success when Hitchcock started. What changed?

Klefbom getting hurt I know about. Are the players working as hard now as they were at first? Does the team need something like a sports psychology department maybe?

Captain And Coke

Apr 29, 2011
is he? I'd agree he's not a solution, but I don't see what any coach could do with this team

I don't want to speculate on what any other coach could do with Edmonton, but I do think a coach who better understands today's game vs 2003 would likely be doing better. Hitchcock should retire. Hockey's different now, and he's behind the times in my opinion. He just doesn't see the game the way he used to. That being said, I have no doubt that he should be in the HoF one day though.

kgboomer

Nov 12, 2014
He should do a Mike Singletary and then resign. "It is more about them than it is about the team. Cannot play with them, cannot win with them, cannot coach with them. Can't do it. I want winners. I want people that want to win."

Jets2point0

Oct 14, 2017
I don't know why he keeps taking jobs. He overstayed his welcome by a year in St. Louis, and he hasn't been good (barring one stretch in Dallas) ever since.

He needs to just retire already.

Overstayed his welcome by a year?

Needs to retire already??

That’s on the GMs, not him lol

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
no. 1 in rule while contemplating resigning: don't tell anyone that you are contemplating resigning. thus, frierman talking out of his rear.

Ya you’re probably right...a guy blasting the team’s effort and then choosing to watch practice from the stands must be thrilled with the gig. Friedman’s fishing lol

oilers4life

Jun 1, 2016
Poor Oilers? Half their fan base was just squawking last week about how they could still make the playoffs and go a few rounds lol. I just hope this finally shakes the fans from their terrible delusions of grandeur and helps them realize that they cheer for the worst run franchise in pro sports history. I cant feel bad for them until they've finally come around to this.
i like to meet these fans pleas so i can slap some sense into them

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad