Friedman: Hitchcock on the verge of resigning?

HairyCanary

Feb 16, 2019
I always wonder when Gretzky Messier, Lowe MacTavish, etc retire from management if Weight, Marchant, Gagner, Smyth, Etc will be in power with Katz's kid as the owner ...so the wait is not 3-4 years but 60+ years

I honestly see him pulling a Chicago-esque resurgence (not in Cup wins but in just becoming respectable again) in Edmonton myself. McDavid will have long left by then, of course, and Oilers fans will be happy and joyful but never stop to think if only...

HairyCanary

Feb 16, 2019
Rinse and repeat. What would make anything different this time around?

The half-empty arena around which there'd be a big protest and the debates between fans who've decided they're done with the NHL and "real" fans who hate on them for it because they weren't real fans anyway on social media.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Honestly the Oilers , the Knicks , the Browns and other completely incompetently run teams are why i really dislike the North American model of running sports. If a team is this bad for this long despite that much fan support and money poured into it it doesn#t really deserve to be around anymore.

If losing had a real massive downside for the team maybe people would actually f***ing do something and not have the team keep wasting everybodies time and money.

I'm also not the biggest fan of the ownership system. Too few people have too much power and that often leads seeing even slight dissent as something that needs to be fought . I've read from multiple source that people get removed from Rogers Place if they're starting chants deemed too critical. What kind of Mickey Mouse non-sense is that ?

You expect people to show up to watch your garbage product and keep their opinion to themselves ? Yeah thats not going to make you look insecure at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: amethyst

TJ Hooker

May 25, 2017
This organization is cursed

I think you could theoretically fire everyone and hire a completely new staff and they would still suck
If they actually fired everyone, it would address the issue. But they only ever fire “everyone.”

Reactions: binop7
Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
When you start tanking for that first overall, it's hard to un-tank yourself. They're now stuck in tank mode until they figure out how to reboot themselves.

A fish rots from the head down. The problem is ownership. Trust me, I'm a Blue Jackets and Browns fan. I've lived this for many years.

Reactions: RegDunlop

McGuires Corndog

Marc Bergevin juju exorcist
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
The problem in Edmonton is the old boys club running it, has been for almost 2 decades now.

Ownership needs to purge the entire management core and re-start, otherwise this is just going to continue.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
The problem in Edmonton is the old boys club running it, has been for almost 2 decades now.

Ownership needs to purge the entire management core and re-start, otherwise this is just going to continue.

Ownership assembled that core to hang out with the old boys club. Katz is not going to get rid of it, he's part of the problem.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
This is so embarrassing. If he quits before the seasons up its going to be extremely hard for the Oilers to come back from this. Players will look at them differently.

As for "why didn't they hire Coach X?" a lot of guys probably want nothing to do with the team or the Old Boys Club, the lure of McDavid is not enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->