Friedman: Hitchcock on the verge of resigning?

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
Oilers coach Hitchcock reportedly ready to resign from his position

Now a report from NHL insider Elliotte Friedman of Sportsnet seems to indicate that Hitch has seen enough. According to Friedman, there were rumblings that Hitchcock was ready to resign from his position this past weekend but, obviously, decided otherwise.

Friedman:

With Ken Hitchcock watching practice from the seats one day and then blasting the Oilers’ effort following Saturday’s 5–2 loss to San Jose, that there were rumours he’d had enough and would step down. That obviously didn’t happen, but it underlines how tense things are in Edmonton.

Poor Oilers.

Reactions: Shark Finn

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I don't know why he keeps taking jobs. He overstayed his welcome by a year in St. Louis, and he hasn't been good (barring one stretch in Dallas) ever since.

He needs to just retire already.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Abandoning ship? Why sign in the first place?

Should have stayed retired. Still don't understand why Oilers chose to go with him rather than someone like A.V perhaps.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I don't know why he keeps taking jobs. He overstayed his welcome by a year in St. Louis, and he hasn't been good (barring one stretch in Dallas) ever since.

If a company offered you a couple million to do something you love to do, wouldn't you keep taking jobs, even if you've not been successful?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
scaled-burn_boat.png

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Watching the Oilers play must drive him crazy. Hitchcocks system stiffle offense on both sides . Problem is the Oilers are so inept defensively that they just can't stiffle the oppoents offense on a cosistent basis and their own scoring relies on 2 guys creating everything.

Reactions: redwings25

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne

I get why he took this one. He's from Edmonton and I believe was living there anyway, and never in his life had the chance to coach a player even close to McDavid's caliber. He's coached more than 1,500 games and probably only what, six Hall of Famers in his career? Most of them from the '90's Stars? The only other truly high-end forwards I can remember him having on his teams were Modano and Forsberg.

So yeah, I don't blame him for leaping at the opportunity to coach not only his hometown team, but also a bonafide offensive superstar and future legend. He probably just underestimated what a shitshow the actual franchise is these days, or didn't imagine it could be as bad as it is.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I get why he took this one. He's from Edmonton and I believe was living there anyway, and never in his life had the chance to coach a player even close to McDavid's caliber. He's coached more than 1,500 games and probably only what, six Hall of Famers in his career? Most of them from the '90's Stars? The only other truly high-end forwards I can remember him having on his teams were Modano and Forsberg.

So yeah, I don't blame him for leaping at the opportunity to coach not only his hometown team, but also a bonafide offensive superstar and future legend. He probably just underestimated what a ****show the actual franchise is these days, or didn't imagine it could be as bad as it is.

Ah, didn't realize he's from Edmonton. That makes more sense.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
no. 1 in rule while contemplating resigning: don't tell anyone that you are contemplating resigning. thus, frierman talking out of his rear.

You can often tell when someone is unhappy with their job when you see them at work. I bet Hitch is beyond frustrated with the situation he is in. I bet he hates being there. And I bet he doesn't resign at all, finishes the year, and tells the Oilers to find another stooge. It's not hard to think that if he is showing his frustration, he is probably wishing he didn't have the job too. "Just a few more months, just a few more months.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Man as if the Oilers fans didn't have it bad enough

At what point does this organization start doing the right things?

Hitch quits I am sure it has lot to do with upper management. He must see some inept mindset he doesn't like or doesn't it's going ot change much

Coaches manage bad teams, he knew what he was getting into. He has the nuke in McDavid. I bet Hitch doesn't like the changes or the plans he has seen so far from the organization

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
K Gretzky says they're gonna be buyers though Hitch, stick it out

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Can McDavid resign too?
Edm better get thier act together. One has to wonder how long Mcdavid can put up with the losing. I can see him asking to be moved if the team does not get better. It’s clear Mcdavid is a solid team guy but constant losing and a circus has to get tiring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->