News Article: Friedman: Everybody is feeling the heat of Oilers’ start

JariCurry

Sep 10, 2005
I honestly think the collective sigh of relief of Oilers fans would be massive.

We'd finally have no reason to watch this team. We'd be free.
It's seriously unbelievable how badly Chia has bungled this up. Having an arguably top 5 ever player in the prime of his career gifted to you and having a pretty decent young core around him only needing a few pieces to be a perenial contender... to being one of the worst teams in the league in cap hell. I still have a hard time believing it until I watch the Oilers play for about 5 minutes . It's all too real to the eye how bad the oilers are ...

Wonder what Connor would bring back in a trade? 3 firsts, 1c and first pairing d

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
I would keep the Gretzkys.

One because he seems to have a good eye for drafting.

The other because he got 2857 points.

Everyone else can:

giphy.gif

I'd give one of them a promotion and the other one his old skates and yard his jersey down to QB the PP

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
I don’t care if we win the next 8 games in a row. If we do it is because of McDavid and only because of McDavid. Not because of players Chiarelli brought in or because of McLellan’s “coaching”.

We need a new coach pronto, and just put a freeze on Chia so he cannot do any further damage until he is replaced

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
I'm not a fire the coach reactionist.

But where else would you start? TMac has the most heat on him in sure since the org brought in 3 new experienced coaches under him. Will s**tcanning Todd help?
Not immensely but it can't hurt and these systems or his lack of players implementing them is not working. Start somewhere.

With that said, it's not totally done and determined. If he can get this team playing to potential then they can compete. Big if though. Can they win and make the playoffs? Not sure. But although Chias hampering of the team is evident, TMac is the coach. And as such he is responsible for getting what he can out of the group.

To me he has failed. If changes are warranted, his position needs to be the first. Then the GM scrutiny can begin.

Reactions: PulYou

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
Bob Nicholson can gtfo too

For the guy labeled as no nonsense dude who will Come in and clean house and end patronizing hires, he has been a complete failure. Hell I could have done as much as him... pathetic figurehead who is someone’s buddy from the OBC.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
So McClellan is fired... big deal and none of us would be sad as his player management is a joke. Who can come in and do much better with this lineup?? Marc Crawford? Cause you fire Todd you kinda have to fire Chia too... then what? And what’s the point if you don’t get all the OBC out?? Does Katz have the BALLS to do that??? Why bother, Oiler fans still buying tickets

Reactions: Summary
Oct 15, 2008
So McClellan is fired... big deal and none of us would be sad as his player management is a joke. Who can come in and do much better with this lineup?? Marc Crawford? Cause you fire Todd you kinda have to fire Chia too... then what? And what’s the point if you don’t get all the OBC out?? Does Katz have the BALLS to do that??? Why bother, Oiler fans still buying tickets
All very good questions. I’m afraid people aren’t gonna like the answers.

Reactions: RegDunlop

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
For the guy labeled as no nonsense dude who will Come in and clean house and end patronizing hires, he has been a complete failure. Hell I could have done as much as him... pathetic figurehead who is someone’s buddy from the OBC.

Yup
I used to have respect for BN prior to the hiring.
But it was pretty obvious early on that his integrity - if he had any - was bought out.
Remember the audit?!! F ing joke

Reactions: Summary

Marty McSurly

May 9, 2018

The Staggy Horn burger doesn't have the same ring though!

Reactions: Del Preston

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Friedman: Everybody is feeling the heat of Oilers’ start

“I honestly think guys - and they play tomorrow afternoon in New York - but I really do believe that one of the real tough places right now in the NHL is in Edmonton,” indicated Friedman.

“They’re 0-2. McDavid has looked great and done spectacular things in both games and they can’t sustain it.

“I just think the heat internally in that organization - I was just told this morning it’s a really tense place. I think everybody there is feeling it. I think that is clearly one of the - it’s going to be one of the hot areas in the league, and not in a good way. I think everybody there is really feeling the pressure.”

Friedman was asked if “it’s closer than it’s ever been” concerning head coach Todd McLellan being on the hot seat.

“I would just say this: I don’t there’s a person in that organization who feels secure,” noted Friedman. “Maybe Gretzky because, I mean, he’s Gretzky. But I don’t think there’s anybody in that organization who feels secure about what’s going on right now.

“So I wouldn’t say one guy, I would say it’s probably just about everybody.”

I remember that at one point there was a power struggle, one side wanted Todd gone and the other wanted Todd to stay. Whoever wanted Todd to stay needs to gtfo.

The reality is that as long as guys like Lowe, MacT, etc. have the ability to take the keys to the car when they want, this team is going nowhere. With all due respect t the OBC, Gretz was a **** coach, MacT was nothing special as coach or GM, neither was Lowe except for the Pronger season. These guys need to ride off into the sunset and f***ing stay there.

If Katz is serious about making this team great again, he needs to sever ties with all of these guys on a professional level and bring in some guys that are good hockey minds for this decade, not for the 80's, 90's or even 00's. If Todd and Chia are gone but the likes of Lowe, MacT, Howson, etc. stay then it's just the same old BS.

Until of course McLottery decides to skip town. I actually do think Katz is angry.

Peter and Todd are not Daryl's buddies, they should not assume they have the same rope.

Playoff revenue is also lucrative.

If Darryl ever decides that winning is more important than playing tea party with his buds we might have a chance to go places. Sadly I don't see it happening.

I want TM fired as much as the next guy, don't get me wrong, but is it really going to change anything?

This team lacks a good coach, but it also lacks talent. There is only so much a coach can do. You do not win games, regardless of your coach, with one of the worst winger and d cores in the league, and sub par goaltending.

TM does some horribly stupid ****. But even with situations like overloading Benning with icetime and icing 5 LHS on the PP changing, is this team really winning?

Chia needs to be the one gone first, which I know won't happen. But he is the true problem. Unfortunately, unlike a coach that can cause a sudden shift of play and create results immediately, a GM shift takes years to see results.

A good coach could change things, minimize the deficiencies on the team with a better system, maximize our PP and PK units, etc. You absolutely have to try a new coach first IMO.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
That was Eakins' last game as head coach.
Wasn't Eakins fired not long after that?

Jeez you guys have good memories!! I'd have never remembered that specific game was Eakins' last.

Funny how history has potentially aligned to repeat itself.

If Todd is turfed before the Jets game, the New HC will be terrified to play the Rangers.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Yup, Katz won the lottery the day the Oilers did. Because he bought himself a sold out building regardless of performance for a long time.

People who've seen nothing but money all their adult lives get very angry at one thing. Losing money. Until that happens, why the hell would he put an ounce of effort into attempting to right the ship.

Once the building empties, THEN you'll see drastic changes. And if the last 12 years have been any sort of indication, it never will happen.

No, THEN, he will relocate the team.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
No, THEN, he will relocate the team.
Not sure he can due to the location agreement. He’d have to sell the team. May be a lot tougher finding someone local to come up with the purchase price this time around. That’s when the team moves. The interesting question for me is how long does Katz hold onto the team for if it stops being a cash cow after years of it being a big money maker. My guess is not very long. With the shine worn off the new arena and a putrid team even with McDavid, I think Katz has run out of hope to sell. We might be getting close to that time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->