Speculation: Friedman: Connolly could end up on the trade market (UPDATE: cleared waivers 3/1/2021)

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
It's tough to say when Friedman is putting 1+1 together and when he's heard something, it does make sense though.

I don't see a market for him unless we're taking equal money and term back though.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
The actual blurb on Conman

13. One name to watch on the trade market: Florida’s Brett Connolly. Panthers have started strong despite COVID postponements. Connolly’s been out of the lineup — although he’s expected to get back in shortly. He was a valuable piece on Washington’s 2018 Stanley Cup champion team. I could see a contender going there.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Yeah if we're getting like a 3rd back or a decent prospect, maybe retain a little, then I'd do it. Otherwise I see no reason until the offseason.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
His capspace is valuable: trading him gives us space to re sign Duke and add a piece next year!

his value won’t be high with the expansion draft

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
He has much more value to us than on the market. Might as well hold onto him.

Injuries will happen as well.

So far, including the previous season, he has shown that he's "Just Another Guy" so I don't care what Zito&Q decide do with him. It's not like anyone here has hoped for his presence in some particular line. Thus, since he's a JAG then there's an opportunity for Zito to save $2-2.5mil.

Reactions: Cold Cat

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Obviously he’d be on the market, we’d love to get rid of him. He doesn’t have a spot in our top-6, hardly in our top-9 aside from the occasional appearance, and he’s still under contract for an additional 2yrs at 3.5per, he’s one of the main contracts we’ll be trying to move if possible. along with bob, Yandle, Stralman.

Those four guys, ideally, will be shipped out. Yandle and Stralman would be better in the offseason, but I’d take it now if there’s something reasonable to be worked out. Bob will be nearly impossible, or at least without almost identical cap coming back. But yeah, those four guys, if you got the chance to actually rid those contracts, you do it (and I recognize that Yandle is doing better and Stralman has a place here too, that’s why I say preferably in the offseason for those two, or depends on what’s coming back)

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Obviously he’d be on the market, we’d love to get rid of him. He doesn’t have a spot in our top-6, hardly in our top-9 aside from the occasional appearance, and he’s still under contract for an additional 2yrs at 3.5per, he’s one of the main contracts we’ll be trying to move if possible. along with bob, Yandle, Stralman.

Those four guys, ideally, will be shipped out. Yandle and Stralman would be better in the offseason, but I’d take it now if there’s something reasonable to be worked out. Bob will be nearly impossible, or at least without almost identical cap coming back. But yeah, those four guys, if you got the chance to actually rid those contracts, you do it (and I recognize that Yandle is doing better and Stralman has a place here too, that’s why I say preferably in the offseason for those two, or depends on what’s coming back)
Currently my order from most acceptable to least acceptable among those four, just from hockey point of view:
1) Bob
2) Stralman
3) Yandle
..... long distance ....
286) Connolly

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Currently my order from most acceptable to least acceptable among those four, just from hockey point of view:
1) Bob
2) Stralman
3) Yandle
..... long distance ....
286) Connolly
Yeah from a strictly hockey/playing point of view I think that’s fair, but you have to balance that with what their contract is like. When you factor everything mine would be:
Bob
Yandle
Connolly
Stralman (since he only has one year remaining)

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Can anyone tell me if Lucic needs expansion protection, his clause is confusing, it shifts from NMC to modified NTC?
It's still 2020-21 when the expansion draft happens anyway, but in the past NTC + NMC combo has been for waivers (MAF's 2008-2015 contract IIRC is an example), these days probably for the expansion draft as well?

Funny, I did think about a Connolly for Lucic retained swap too during the offseason.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
It's still 2020-21 when the expansion draft happens anyway, but in the past NTC + NMC combo has been for waivers (MAF's 2008-2015 contract IIRC is an example), these days probably for the expansion draft as well?

Funny, I did think about a Connolly for Lucic retained swap too during the offseason.

CGY fans saying he would waive his protection clause but he'd like to stay near his home out west but would he come down here for the rest of the year for some tax benefits and join a fun team for the year?

Him + Bennett instantly makes us even tougher to play against.
CGY would have to retain a mil on Lucic.

We have 3.2 mil in space.
Difference between Bennett + Lucic - Connolly = 4.3 mil

Reactions: harv33173

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Yeah from a strictly hockey/playing point of view I think that’s fair, but you have to balance that with what their contract is like. When you factor everything mine would be:
Bob
Yandle
Connolly
Stralman (since he only has one year remaining)
Stralman has been good this season: I think we need more data. I’d say he has been playing like a number three. Overpaid but there’s not an easy way to improve here.

Connolly is the guy we can move so we should. Bob is unmovable and frankly risky to move given the cost. Yandle depends on the resurgence: he has been a net positive on the ice this year

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
CGY fans saying he would waive his protection clause but he'd like to stay near his home out west but would he come down here for the rest of the year for some tax benefits and join a fun team for the year?

Him + Bennett instantly makes us even tougher to play against.
CGY would have to retain a mil on Lucic.

We have 3.2 mil in space.
Difference between Bennett + Lucic - Connolly = 4.3 mil
So Lucic at 4.25? That’s adding a lot of cap long term without a clear advantage given the insane number of bottom six players we have. Plus it adds cap at a time when cap is valuable.

I think you must have opinions have Bennett but I view him as a good third liner.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
So Lucic at 4.25? That’s adding a lot of cap long term without a clear advantage given the insane number of bottom six players we have. Plus it adds cap at a time when cap is valuable.

I think you must have opinions have Bennett but I view him as a good third liner.

There's reports Lucic may even retire.
He would only be staying the rest of this year.
Head over to the Bennett trade thread on trade board

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad