News Article: Friedman 30 Thoughts (Jets)

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
As much as my recent posts may have been defending Kulikov, I would like to make it known that my priority list for bringing a LHD goes as such:

Campbell (1yr only) > Brendan Smith (for ~$3.25m for 3yrs) > Wiercioch (for ~$1m for 1 or 2yrs) > Kindl (for ~$1.25m for 2yrs) > Kulikov (for ~$1.5 for 1yr) >= the rest.

How did Kindl fall off a cliff again? Was he just never liked by any managment?

I like the idea of adding Campbell but after that probably not that into anything with term as far as that group goes.

If Myers is healthy and our issue is that big a deal we "may" need to trade him for a top 4 LHD and off we go. We have 4.5 top 4 D and only in Winnipeg are we panicking (not saying you are panicking specifically). In Calgary they finally sign their 4th top 4 D and they are ready for a parade? It's largely because 3 of our Top 4 D are RH that there seems to be this angst in our city short term. Last year Calgary basically entered their season with the equivalent to us going into this season with Morrissey, Trouba, Buff only but got by because all 3 of their top 3 D we good and played full seasons.....in Winnipeg we lost 117 man games to our starting top 4 and I think that has had a huge impact on the opinion of our fan base.

Long term we have gaps that need to be addressed as soon as next off season but for now I am content to roll with what we have unless we can add a bottom pair LHD to push Chairot into the press box.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
As much as my recent posts may have been defending Kulikov, I would like to make it known that my priority list for bringing a LHD goes as such:

Campbell (1yr only) > Brendan Smith (for ~$3.25m for 3yrs) > Wiercioch (for ~$1m for 1 or 2yrs) > Kindl (for ~$1.25m for 2yrs) > Kulikov (for ~$1.5 for 1yr) >= the rest.

Well there is the rub. On National Overpay day most UFA's get far more salary and term then they are worth. I'd take any of the above deals, but you can almost grantee they will all sign for more salary and term somewhere. Mostly I like that Chevy keeps his wallet in his pocket come July 1st.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Kindl has been beyond horrible.

I'd be carefull with handing over 2 year contracts due to Laine's ELC, that's when the team/core is expected to get expensive.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Kindl has been beyond horrible.

I'd be carefull with handing over 2 year contracts due to Laine's ELC, that's when the team/core is expected to get expensive.

I wouldn't worry about cap space for our young core. Chevy is on the record several times talking about the importance of keeping the cap space necessary to sign your own young stars. Chevy isn't going on a spending spree with Laine, Ehlers, Trouba and Morrissey all needing to be signed over the next 2 years. Add in Little and Wheeler as well.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Both Buffalo& Florida have been bad adv. stats teams,

Kulikov was better than his numbers showed in Florida, he was definitely a top4.
If Chevy can sign him to a 1-2 on the 3rd pairing with Myers he'd improve that by a mile from last year.

Agreed. If you can get Kulikov on a 2 year deal for a reasonable price this is much preferable to over paying on money and term for some of the other UFA's out there. Over the next 2 years while we will be able to shed some salary there will be a much greater demand on cap space with Little, Touba, Ehlers, Wheeler, Morrissey and Laine needing new contracts.

Lets get an upgrade on Chariot, push Stu further down and see if a once highly regarded d-man finds enough of his game to play a solid bottom pair role. More than anything else we need some good health on the back end.

I think Kulikov could fit in well here. We need one more D that can dish the puck to our speedsters. He'll underwhelm in some ways but so will the options we already have.

For the right price and most importantly, term, I'd be quite interested in Kulikov. He isn't a world beater, but it would push Chiarot to the 7 spot, and Stuart to captain of the Moose. That's about as best as can be expected given how much money we already have committed to the blueline.

Kulikov and Elliott would be very good cash pickups that fill the two noticeable holes on the Jets' roster.

Agreed with the above.

While Kulikov and Elliott are not my first choices, I wouldn't be upset to be able to add both of them this off-season. Both seem to be players that would be expected to handle much less of a load here than in their previous spots, and I think that might allow them to be solid contributors.

Kulikov for the past 6 years has been asked to play around 21 minutes a night. We've seen what happens to a guy like Buff when his minutes get too high, and maybe a guy like Kulikov could be a more solid #5 if he's at around 15 to 18 minutes.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I wouldn't worry about cap space for our young core. Chevy is on the record several times talking about the importance of keeping the cap space necessary to sign your own young stars. Chevy isn't going on a spending spree with Laine, Ehlers, Trouba and Morrissey all needing to be signed over the next 2 years. Add in Little and Wheeler as well.

That's great to hear.
I watched Boston run into cap hell and lose players year after year. Chicago has been on that run for the last few years now. It's not fun.

Cap space is important, and with the newest rumours of McDavid getting 13.25M the cap space is needed for Laine. No he's not going to get 13M but if he continues to get better McDavid contract will drive his price up, into 10M range or over.

It will also be very important for Chevy to sign Ehlers the moment he can, Drai's/Ehlers comparisons around the league are at 6M but Drai will get more because of McDavid contract. Which could affect negatively on Ehlers next contract.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Kulikov made 4.3M AAV X 3 Years on his last contract. I think he's gonna want at least 3M.

3M x 2 - I'd be pretty happy. I think that won't be enough though.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I like the idea of adding Campbell but after that probably not that into anything with term as far as that group goes.

If Myers is healthy and our issue is that big a deal we "may" need to trade him for a top 4 LHD and off we go. We have 4.5 top 4 D and only in Winnipeg are we panicking (not saying you are panicking specifically). In Calgary they finally sign their 4th top 4 D and they are ready for a parade? It's largely because 3 of our Top 4 D are RH that there seems to be this angst in our city short term. Last year Calgary basically entered their season with the equivalent to us going into this season with Morrissey, Trouba, Buff only but got by because all 3 of their top 3 D we good and played full seasons.....in Winnipeg we lost 117 man games to our starting top 4 and I think that has had a huge impact on the opinion of our fan base.

Long term we have gaps that need to be addressed as soon as next off season but for now I am content to roll with what we have unless we can add a bottom pair LHD to push Chairot into the press box.

Don't you ever sleep? :laugh:

I think that is only a part of the reason. We have also had difficulty getting 1 of our RHD to both willingly and successfully move over. But add to that all the uncertainty attached to 4 of our top 5 and I think the angst is explained. If Myers had had a good season last year it would be much reduced. If Trouba had committed long term it would hardly exist.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Don't you ever sleep? :laugh:

I think that is only a part of the reason. We have also had difficulty getting 1 of our RHD to both willingly and successfully move over. But add to that all the uncertainty attached to 4 of our top 5 and I think the angst is explained. If Myers had had a good season last year it would be much reduced. If Trouba had committed long term it would hardly exist.

I don't have many issues with this upcoming season but I do have mild concern when it comes to the long term picture. The main reason I am not panicking though is that as long as kids like Roslovic :)crossfing) and Connor develop this we should have assets to trade when the time comes.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Agreed with the above.

While Kulikov and Elliott are not my first choices, I wouldn't be upset to be able to add both of them this off-season. Both seem to be players that would be expected to handle much less of a load here than in their previous spots, and I think that might allow them to be solid contributors.

Kulikov for the past 6 years has been asked to play around 21 minutes a night. We've seen what happens to a guy like Buff when his minutes get too high, and maybe a guy like Kulikov could be a more solid #5 if he's at around 15 to 18 minutes.

Ya, sometimes players just cannot play that much.

Russell is definitely an example of a guy who did really well as a 3rd pair guy but IMO has been eaten alive in top4s for DAL/CGY/EDM.

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca

That's fine with me. As long as Chevy called Smith's camp and heard "we're looking at least at 4x4", that's an easy pass for what the Jets should be looking for. Wiercioch should be a cheap acquisition, but I'm not confident Jets are looking anywhere close to him. I mean, they picked Strait over him last July 1st...

I'll revamp my stance on Kindl. Maybe we can get him on a two-way and if he sucks in training camp, he can build himself up again in the AHL? :sarcasm:

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
They have a cap the same as everybody else. Story is that they have been trying to sign him but no success.

Good point, we'll see.

;)

Russell is definitely an example of a guy who did really well as a 3rd pair guy but IMO has been eaten alive in top4s for DAL/CGY/EDM.

But he's elite at zone not-quite-exits. ;)

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Buff feels like a guy who would be best served by staying under 23 minutes as well.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Buff feels like a guy who would be best served by staying under 23 minutes as well.

Agreed. I'm actually moving more towards hoping we can sign Kulikov (for a fair price obviously).

I think if you add him to the mix, not only does he need to take less minutes than he ever has before, but Buff would have to take less as well IMO. A "3rd" pair of Kulikov and Myers can take more than a normal 3rd pair IMO, which could reduce the time on Enstrom and Buff.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Agreed. I'm actually moving more towards hoping we can sign Kulikov (for a fair price obviously).

I think if you add him to the mix, not only does he need to take less minutes than he ever has before, but Buff would have to take less as well IMO. A "3rd" pair of Kulikov and Myers can take more than a normal 3rd pair IMO, which could reduce the time on Enstrom and Buff.

Smith's contract raises the price tag for Kulikov. At least Wiercioc should still be cheap.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That's fine with me. As long as Chevy called Smith's camp and heard "we're looking at least at 4x4", that's an easy pass for what the Jets should be looking for. Wiercioch should be a cheap acquisition, but I'm not confident Jets are looking anywhere close to him. I mean, they picked Strait over him last July 1st...

I'll revamp my stance on Kindl. Maybe we can get him on a two-way and if he sucks in training camp, he can build himself up again in the AHL? :sarcasm:

I'd rather have Wiercioch at 2x1 and a bit than Kulikov at 2x2.5+.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Smith's contract raises the price tag for Kulikov. At least Wiercioc should still be cheap.

I don't see that. It might raise Alzner but I think Kulikov is squarely in the reclamation project category. My guess is that he has to take a 1 year cheap contract to re-establish himself.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I don't see that. It might raise Alzner but I think Kulikov is squarely in the reclamation project category. My guess is that he has to take a 1 year cheap contract to re-establish himself.

3.5 now for Kulikov.
Your call of 2.5 is too low in this environment where 31 teams are scrambling for proven top 4 defenders.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->