Rumor: Friedman: “Habs management has been told to rebuild and stock up on picks and prospects.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Pacioretty is not Getting you an accomplished Centre
Trading the 3rd overall pick is just idiotic
Sergachev and subban were traded for a winger and another dman
Those two assets shoulda been used to get a centre
You didn't say anything about "accomplished" center in your original post.

Obviously, I was referring more to a player with the potential to eventually be a #1C.

As for the 3rd overall pick, I also said nothing about trading it per se...but you said we don't have assets, that 3rd overall pick IS an asset.

Also, if you believe Subban and Sergachev should of been traded to acquire a center...

I have a hard time understanding how you don't think Pacioretty could do the same.

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
Do not believe for one second Montreal will do a full tear down rebuild....more of a hybrid where you try and collect some young prospects and picks and also still try and win with veterans.......they should tear it down with a new GM but we know that is not happening because Bergevin is still here.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Or at the very least - a shift in philosophy.

If you have the same individuals implementing the shift in philosophy, they're still going to be plagued by their limitations. There are better candidates -- they need to be poached or aggressively pursued when they hit the market.

Reactions: groovejuice

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
Can't wait til the day bergevin gets fired!! And make sure scouts or staff that use to play as a power forward/ grinder get fired, sick of having big guys that don't score or win games!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Not every team who cleans house gets it right...

True but not cleaning house is not the solution either. When you have a 6 year track record of mismanagement, it's not a stretch to be able to identify where the deadwood is.

Reactions: lo striver

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
You didn't say anything about "accomplished" center in your original post.

Obviously, I was referring more to a player with the potential to eventually be a #1C.

As for the 3rd overall pick, I also said nothing about trading it per se...but you said we don't have assets, that 3rd overall pick IS an asset.

Also, if you believe Subban and Sergachev should of been traded to acquire a center...

I have a hard time understanding how you don't think Pacioretty could do the same.
He’s 30 and one year away from UFA coming of a bad year.
And yes I mean accomplishes Centre. With Weber and price you’re into Win now , not 4 years from now
If we’re rebuilding, trade price, Webber and Petry
Hit the shitter completely for 3-4 years

Reactions: bsl

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
If you have the same individuals implementing the shift in philosophy, they're still going to be plagued by their limitations. There are better candidates -- they need to be poached or aggressively pursued when they hit the market.
Don't agree with that entirely...I think people can and should learn from mistakes.

It's not like the league isn't literred with GM's who got better with time.

The question is whether our current GM and his staff have the humility to change and adapt after realizing what they were doing wasn't working.

That I have serious doubts on...

Reactions: WG

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
True but not cleaning house is not the solution either. When you have a 6 year track record of mismanagement, it's not a stretch to be able to identify where the deadwood is.
Again...not sure I'd qualify his entire tenure with the Habs as mismanagement.

It was a mixed bag the first 3-4yrs but it's gone south in a hurry the last 2-3yrs.

Reactions: Runner77

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Not every team who cleans house gets it right...

well , maybe we should have let Pierre Gauthier rebuild the team in 2012.....i mean he was ready to trade Subban..Molson did that few years later....would we been anymore screwed right now? sadly i say probably not...and i couldn't stand Gauthier..but are we any further ahead from 2012 to 2018...

Looking back on Gauthier, i think him and Gainey when they iced that small fast smurf team before they got fired with the ones with "big hearts" and the ones other teams would beat up at will like punching bags , they was about 4 years ahead of there time..Now the NHL is geared for speed and smaller players and no fighting...and that was the Gauthier/Gainey vision ...but they just tired it to early...

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
He’s 30 and one year away from UFA coming of a bad year.
And yes I mean accomplishes Centre. With Weber and price you’re into Win now , not 4 years from now
If we’re rebuilding, trade price, Webber and Petry
Hit the ****ter completely for 3-4 years
I'd like a team that wants to win now AND build for the future...

I think those 2 things are possible and don't have to be independent from each other.

Reactions: zeeto and Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Again...not sure I'd qualify his entire tenure with the Habs as mismanagement.

It was a mixed bag the first 3-4yrs but it's gone south in a hurry the last 2-3yrs.

If you want to give him credit for minor moves made in the early years of his tenure, I'd say those were mostly low impact, housekeeping type moves. He's had a positive outcome overall on low impact moves, but has just been incapable of prevailing in respect of franchise defining significant decision-making. And has not surrounded himself with competent enough personnel to save him from himself.

Reactions: lo striver

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL

Apparently heard on a podcast from today.

If true, this is obviously the way we need to go. So THAT is good news. The fact that it’s Marc Bergevin and the country club calling the shots..well, that’s incredibly frightening for this Habs fan..

If we’re TRULY rebuilding, we need to start by rebuilding the management personnel first..

Alzner, Benn, Schlemko, McCarron and Pacioretty traded. De la Rose not far behind.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
I'd like a team that wants to win now AND build for the future...

I think those 2 things are possible and don't have to be independent from each other.
Sure i would too
Now gimme an example Of how you’re getting a first line centre this year.
Please don’t say it’s Drouin
Also. How we getting a dman?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Don't agree with that entirely...I think people can and should learn from mistakes.

It's not like the league isn't literred with GM's who got better with time.

The question is whether our current GM and his staff have the humility to change and adapt after realizing what they were doing wasn't working.

That I have serious doubts on...

I don't underestimate the value of humility and contrition, however, I value forward thinking, surrounding yourself with individuals who are better than the GM, objective performance reviews and the ability to make timely critical decisions.

Asking this GM to learn from his mistakes after so many learning opportunities squandered is like trying to turn a low-ceiling prospect into a blue chipper.

Last edited:
Reactions: 417

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I don't think they'd do a full rebuild (Price/Weber), my guess would be trading away some of the older guys like Pacioretty, Byron, Schlemko and Benn and just playing the season out with no expectations of making the playoffs.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Pretty simple.

Last year we finished first in the division with 100 points but were disapointed by being eliminated in the 1st round. You don't tank then.

This year we finished 3rd last. Thats a good point to start tanking.

Sure you do, and I think I've been proven right on this point. I said we should sell our vets for futures and tank. The geniuses of this board kicked and screamed and hollared that no, Bergevin just needs one more off-season, that'll show the world! Well, we ran that stupid little experiment, and now here we are, bereft our top prospect, laden with the dumbest contract in the entire NHL, less any of the future assets that we would have received from selling our vets, and tanking anyways.

giphy.gif

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
If you want to give him credit for minor moves made in the early years of his tenure, I'd say those were mostly low impact, housekeeping type moves. He's had a positive outcome overall on low impact moves, but has just been incapable of prevailing in respect of franchise defining significant decision-making. And has not surrounded himself with competent enough personnel to save him from himself.
I'd agree with this assessment of his time as GM of this team.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Sure you do, and I think I've been proven right on this point. I said we should sell our vets for futures and tank. The geniuses of this board kicked and screamed and hollared that no, Bergevin just needs one more off-season, that'll show the world! Well, we ran that stupid little experiment, and now here we are, bereft our top prospect, laden with the dumbest contract in the entire NHL, less any of the future assets that we would have received from selling our vets, and tanking anyways.

giphy.gif

List me all the teams that won their division and had 100 points that decided to tank.

And in the end MB did tank. He didn't sign any UFA and Markov/Radu walked, which lead to the team finishing 3rd last.

A 100 point team isn't going to tank in the NHL. A bottom feeder will more likely make that decision.

And I hate the Price contract. Futures, well we got a bunch of picks for guys we sold and the 3rd OVA. I believe Max will be traded this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->